2005 Cadillac CTS brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Cadillac CTS:

2005 Cadillac CTS Owner Comments

Jul 142016

CTS

I have only had my Cts for a month but when braking on about three different occasions the brake pedal will push back against my foot. These have occurred twice in my driveway stopping to back into my garage and once coming to a stop light.

- Hartville, OH, USA

Nov 012015

CTS

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. While depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle would not stop immediately and the braking distance increased. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. When operating the vehicle, the air bag sensor light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the occupant restraint system was faulty. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Mar 172016

CTS

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. While driving approximately 25 mph, the check brake fluid warning light illuminated. The contact refilled the vehicle with brake fluid. The following day, the contact noticed a puddle of brake fluid leaking from the vehicle. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V225000 (services brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 136,000.

- University Place, WA, USA

Dec 092015

CTS

When ever I make a slight turn at low speeds, ie. 10 mph or less the ABS actuates and the car is unable to stop. This is very prevalent when pulling into a parking spot. I have had Firestone auto, parker cadilac, and american tire and auto in my hometown look at this issue and all told me that they could not pull codes. I have been told that if any indicator dash warning light come on then it will trip a code, but this issue does not. This is an ongoing issue with this car..

- Beebe, AR, USA

Aug 082014

CTS

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that the brake lines prematurely corroded with extensive rust and were replaced more than twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the brake lines once. The contact also had an independent mechanic who replaced the brake lines, but the failure recurred. Within weeks, the brake pedal was applied and traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 10V105000 (service brakes, hydraulic) and 15V225000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Edenton, NC, USA

Apr 232015

CTS

Service brake assist message on screen and ABS/ trac control lights. Brakes were checked with no issues found. Also anti-locks will active on dry road for a second or two.

- Southington, CT, USA

Aug 182015

CTS

After a routine oil change at brogan Cadillac service in totowa, NJ, the recommended service (approx cost $1200) was the rear diff bushing was worn and the rear axle seals are leaking fluid. An internet search uncovered GM recall# 07204 for this make and model that states "the rear axle pinion seal does not meet all of the specifications and may experience a fluid leak." When I called GM to inquire about this issue I was told that although there was a recall for this particular problem for cars sold in New Jersey, it was specific to certain VIN numbers and my vehicle was not included in this group. However, the customer service agent made 2 follow up calls to me and the supervisor offered to look into my situation and would contact me once she spoke with the dealer. Please note: For the past two or three years the service stability system alert warning indicator light comes on every time I start the car and inquiry at the dealer led to me have the struts and shocks replaced but the alert has never reset and the warning still comes on. Additionally, the internet search uncovered GM recall #09149 for the service brake systems which the alert has been on for a few years as well. The brake system has been serviced several times to replace pads and rotors and the warning is still persistent. I had been told it was the sensor that needs to be replace and not to worryabout it. Now I wonder if this too was "VIN specific" and did not include my vehicle but leaves me unsafely at risk. I realize that enormous expense is connected to recalls, however my safety as well as the safety of everyone who places confidence in car manufacturers to do what is right is at stake. We drive these vehicles and do not realize the gamble we take when serious issues are not dealt with consideration for safety first! will you please save my life and get GM to fix my car?

- Paterson, NJ, USA

Jul 112015

CTS

I was driving into a drugstore parking lot and as I applied the brakes the car sped up instead of stopping, the more I applied the brakes the faster the car went...it appears that the speed went from about 10 mph to about 40 mph and as a result of this, my car sped up and went across a busy intersection and into another drugstore parking lot. Had it not been for the pillars in from of the second drugstore, we probably would be dead. The car simply would not stop! it eventually stopped after hitting the pillars at the second drugstore. It was god who blessed up and kept us here on this earth..my car was totaled. Now I am without a vehicle. This car was a runaway car at the time that the accident occurred.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Aug 242014

CTS

Starting to back out of driveway and when applying brakes they are stiff and barely working and really hard to stop car.

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 102014

CTS 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that while entering a driveway, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to respond causing the contact to crash into the garage. There were no injuries. Also, the contact stated that the brake pedal depressed to the ground and the service brake assist warning light illuminated. The air bags failed to deploy. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure but was able to reset the ABS system. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 87,000. Updated 12/22/14 updated 05/26/2015

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Mar 302012

CTS

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that additional force was required on the brake pedal and there was an abnormal noise coming from the tire area. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was advised that the brakes were functioning as designed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 152013

CTS 6-cyl

Vehicle shutters/hesitates (like the brakes are engaging) and then jerks violently to the right into next lane. "service stability sys" message comes on and then goes off. Cadillac dealer keeps "fixing" it and charging. Problem returns again within days sometimes hours. Internet is loaded with folks with exact same problem and Cadillac says there are no recalls and they can't diagnose the problem unless they can duplicate the issue while a tech is driving it. I am afraid to drive the car. Another driver almost drove up on the curb when he had to pull away from my car moving unexpectedly into his lane. All of this information has been shared with the dealer repair department.

- Oro Valley, AZ, USA

Jul 292013

CTS 6-cyl

The emergency brake does not work. I press it all the way to the floor and the vehicle will roll still. It seems there is no emergency brake at all.

- Farmington, NM, USA

Jul 092007

CTS 6-cyl

Intermittent brake failure, during sharp right turns at slow speeds. Most times as you pull into a parking spot. Started as a rumble and bumping stop when pulling into parking spot, not long after buying the car, thought it was just how ABS work?? over the past 7 years this has progressed to where the brake peddle goes to the floor and the car doesn't stop. I've brought it to the attention of the dealer who can never recreate, therefore cannot fix. We recently moved, and in our new driveway, I must make a very sharp right turn into my garage, I've almost hit my house multiple times due to the brake failure. Last week almost hit a parked car pulling into a parking spot...it took 1/2 the distance of the space and my son putting car into reverse to avoid the collision. Car is back at the dealer again and they want to charge me $2,500 to try a few things but not sure if any of them will fix the issue. There are many complaint about this for a few Cts years (2004-2007 it appears) but GM has not taken responsibility or acknowledged an issue. Does someone need to be killed first?

- Mount Joy, PA, USA

Mar 162013

CTS 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the brakes failed without warning. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that both front brake hose assemblies needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V105000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 140,000.

- Johnson City , TN, USA

Nov 232012

CTS 6-cyl

While pulling into a parking spot with the wheels turned sharply, the braking became rough and the car would not stop without significant pressure on the brake pedal. This was the 5th time this has happened. Each time it occurs at low speed when the wheel is turned sharply. Brake indicator lights do not go on. I have come very close to hitting other cars when this occurs. My repair man has not been able to identify a problem.

- Skokie, IL, USA