2005 Cadillac CTS engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Cadillac CTS:

2005 Cadillac CTS Owner Comments

May 232016

I was traveling approximately 65 mph on a 3 lane highway, while mainitaning a constant speed. Suddenly all power to the vehicle cut off including my power steering and braking. In a panic as I as coasting I was fortune enough to weave my way across 2 lanes to the side of the highway and roll to a complete start. After gathering myself I turned the ignition from the run position to off. I looked up and noticed there was smoke coming out from under the hood. I jumped out, lifted the hood, and heard popping and steam/smoke rising up from underneath the engine by the firewall. I pulled the oil dipstick and I was about a quart low, and it looked normal. I waited about 30 min and checked the level again with the same result. I then tried to start the vehicle and there was not response at all. I was unable to roll up my windows, and there was no power to display any information on dash. When my wife arrived I hooked up jumper cables and after a while I was able to turn the key forward to see the instrument panel. It said my battery was at the correct volts, and there were no warning lights on my dash. When I turned the ignition to start. My dash flickered rapidly and there was a clicking noise but the engine made no sound as if it was trying to turn over. So I called tow truck and got towed to my house. The vehicle was purchased by me in 09 with 32K miles. It had an issue where it was eating up to 4 quarts of oil every 1K-3K miles. I had purchase an extended warranty so bye 50K miles they tore apart engine replacing pretty much the entire engine. The car currently has less then 20K miles since warranty rebuild and I am at a loss. I put a new battery in it and that has done nothing to help. Still just makes a strange clicking noise. I have no idea what to do now. It is a 2005 Cts 3.6L base automatic transmission

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA

Dec 162015

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being driven at approximately 58 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The driver was able to coast the vehicle to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to the contacts residence. The contact also stated that the engine was consuming oil prematurely. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000. The VIN was not available.

- Troy, NC, USA

Nov 152015

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle shook violently and the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Oct 132015

NHTSA 10043857 -- 2005 Cts error code P0016 engine timing chains. Car has the same problem and engine that is in tech bulletin sb-11340. 86,176 miles on engine when tested for this problem by GM dealership. I had car repaired at dealership earlier this month and have submitted receipts to Cadillac for reimbursement. Currently I have not heard back regarding the status on this claim. Cadillac service request number is 8-1628649320. I am the original owner. I understand the age of my car is outside of the warranty period but I feel this is a defect in the engine design and car repair took 3 days at the GM repair facility. This is not a minor repair or routine maintenance. During research on the internet I found the tech bulletin and your reference numbers regarding this defect. Fortunately for me this chain did not fail during operation.

- Medina, OH, USA

Jun 012015

Car was bucking. Analysis found broken motor mount

- Canandaigua, NY, USA

May 232015

The car has unbelievable oil consumption. I was traveling from Illinois to Iowa to visit my father. During the first 4 hours, I had to add 4 quarts of oil. Than 20 minutes from our destination, we hear a pop, the car stops running, no brakes and I am doing 70 mph in the left lane with no power steering. I luckily get the car to the right side of the road. Called a tow truck and tow it to a mechanic who tells me I need a new engine. Upon researching any issues with Cts, I find numerous blogs with customers with the same car and issues. Many of who complained to Cadillac. Why has the manufacturer not done anything to correct this, notify customers and prevent any injuries or worst a potential death. What are they waiting for? they know about the blogs because their representative was on there after someone suggested a class action lawsuit trying to defuse the situation.

- Lowell , IN, USA

Dec 292014

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was not able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel pump discharged into the engine, which caused the oil and engine bearings to seize. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V394000 (electrical system), and 14V542000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Piney Flats , TN, USA

Dec 022013

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the radiator failed and caused coolant to leak into the transmission. As a result, the radiator and transmission both needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 82,000 and the current mileage was 86,000.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Aug 082013

CTS 6-cyl

Engine quit without any warning (noise, engine warning light) going 55mph down highway. Engine is ruined. I bought this car new and kept it for almost 8 years. I had all routine and recommended maintenance done by dealer. I sold this to my friend who this happened to. I have determined this was probably caused by the GM recommended 10,000 miles oil change. Engine failures apparently have been happening for quite some time according to the internet and GM or my dealership never once told me to have the oil changed sooner or warned me about this. I feel this is a real safety hazard. If I would have pulled out on the freeway where I normally do to blend into 70 mph traffic and the engine would have failed, I would have had no place to pull over and coast to a stop as there isn't a shoulder for several yards. I could have very well been hit from the rear and a chain reaction accident with potential loss of life could have occurred.

- Coppell, TX, USA

Nov 262011

CTS 6-cyl

In November 2011 I could not take the key from the ignition of my car.then in 2012 the same problem occurred on about the same month, costing me a little under $900 both times.the problem mention was stated internal failure of engine control module.the module computer chip, went out both times. Now I am having problems with the car shaking after refueling and the check engine light is on. I understand that there was a recall of this model car in 2010. I brought this N 2011 from Ford of rock hill in South Carolina. There were no mention of any recalls.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 052012

CTS 6-cyl

I was hit front end never had a chance to react. 110 mph impact. Engine transmission brackets that are designed to shear off to keep engine from going into driver compartment did not. Everything came forward causing extensive damage, horrible injuries.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Mar 072013

CTS 6-cyl

A few weeks after my latest oil change I was driving on the freeway in semi crowded conditions when the car started bucking. The car slowed and I had to avoid traffic and almost was hit as the car would not respond, was scared to death. I thought it was a transmission issue but when I called the mechanic he knew what it was right away, he said check your oil and I did and it was near empty. No oil in my garage, no oil in my work parking spot, no visible leaks, but all the oil gone. It just happened for a second time and when I looked for complaints on the car it is the same issue time and time again. How is Cadillac not held responsible to the driving public for this safety issue. How many must die before it is recalled?

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 302012

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the failure could not be replicated however, the dealer acknowledged that the failure was contributed to the engine. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 59,000.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Mar 052012

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that the vehicle consumed oil at an excessive rate of twenty quarts per month. The contact also stated that the check engine light constantly illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was informed that the vehicle was consuming oil at a normal rate. There were no oil leaks coming from the vehicle. The dealer suggested performing an oil consumption test, but the test was not performed. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 50,000.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA