2006 Cadillac CTS brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Cadillac CTS:

2006 Cadillac CTS Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 012013

CTS 6-cyl

I have read numerous complaints for the same issue I am reporting on the internet on various websites. The dealership mechanics can't determine the issues and something has to be done! the first time I experienced the problem I was slowly (less than 5mph) turning the steering wheel in the right direction into a parking space and the vehicle would not stop, it jumped the sidewalk, but stopped before hitting the building. I had the vehicle looked at by mechanics at the dealership and they were unable to replicate, but would guess manifold gasket, that?S a lot of money for a guess fix that may not resolve the problem. The issue has happened numerous times since; yesterday it happened while in reverse (turning wheel to the left under 5 mph) I thought I wasn't going to ever stop! forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4050860 list a lot of people saying the same issue happened to them and the dealership mechanics have guessed fixes from wheel hubs to loose radiator hoses, but the problem continues after the guess fix. Until someone gets deathly injured behind this issue, I don't think Cadillac is taking it seriously. The other common problems traction engaging (light comes on) when making turns at higher speeds (over 5mph) may be related to this issue. This has happened with me and my family in the vehicle, everyone is aware of the issue, the dealership (which appears clueless as many others do) as well as a local reputable family owned auto mechanic business in my community. I need to know what it takes for this issue to be diagnosed and fixed, before something tragic happens to me. Thank you. 2006 cad Cts-frustrated owner (dealership has milked me dry and still experience same issues, already paid dealership in the last year: Passenger airbag light ($495) rear differential ($600+) and now possibly spending $600+ on a defect fix guess ? manifold ).

- Sanford, NC, USA

Jun 122013

CTS 6-cyl

I noticed that, when driving very slowly and turning sharply to left and braking car would shudder and feel like brakes not working. Finally, one day it would not stop and I almost hit a car. Took in to service center and ABS system in wheel had to be replaced. Now I am having similar experiences again and "check brake assist" and "ABS" warning lights on. When this car was 6 mos old, the ABS assembly had to be replaced. It seems that this is a design flaw in the car but Cadillac does not acknowledge. Is intermittent problem and if I turn off the engine and start from straight drive, problem does not occur or register in warning system.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Oct 302013

CTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the traction control and the ABS warning lights illuminated. In addition, the braking system malfunctioned. The braking failure almost caused the contact to become involved in a crash. The contact shifted into park while the vehicle was still in motion in order to avoid crashing. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The contact called the manufacturer and was advised that the rotors had likely become worn. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Park Hills , MO, USA

Aug 242013

CTS 6-cyl

Pulling into a parking space at my childs daycare facility and my traction control light and ABS light came on as vehicle was stopping and began to accelerate then came to a stop. To my understanding GM has not issued a recall or a fix.

- Perris, CA, USA

Nov 142012

CTS 6-cyl

I was turning into a parking space between two cars. So I made a sharp turn and the brakes failed. I was unable to stop the car and headed for the car in front of me. I stopped it by straightening the wheel. At this time I was able to stop. This happens everytime I make a sharp turn. Just trying to park in my driveway, I fear running into to my garage. Even making right turns. I just hope there is not a line of cars when I turn because I may run into the car in front of me. I have never made a sharp turn at fast speeds. So I say this only happens at any sharp turn at slow speeds. I feel this is a safety hazard.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Dec 232012

CTS

Slow speed brakes applied ABS activates dry roads no wheel slipping car will not slow down must shift to N apply emergency brakes.

- Mississauga Ontario Canada, NY, USA

Dec 032012

CTS

This has been a recurring intermittent problem when making a right braking turn at less than 5mph. The ABS light comes on and the brake pedal goes to the floor and I have to pump the brakes very hard and press down very hard to stop the car otherwise I hit the parking space stop. Many people have posted the same experience with the 2006 Cts and they are told the same thing from the dealer that I was. They were not able to recreate the problem. I was told by the dealer that I had to replace the brake pads which another mechanic told me was not necessary since the pads still had 50% left on them. This is a big issue on this car and someone is going to get hurt.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jul 112012

CTS 6-cyl

The brakes fail often when the car is making turns at slow speeds. This has caused a few minor accidents in my parking garage. The problem is well documented on the below link, but it looks like GM has failed to do anything about it. townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F0F480A/29.

- New York, NY, USA

Sep 082012

CTS 6-cyl

Turning sharp right at about 2 mph to pull into a parking space in a garage. Applied brakes and car kept moving. Had to stomp on the brakes with all my might to stop the car from hitting a wall. No power braking at all.

- Willow Street, PA, USA