2008 Cadillac CTS drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Cadillac CTS:

2008 Cadillac CTS Owner Comments

Sep 272016

For the fourth time a wheel speed sensor malfunctioned. I was turning left across traffic and all of the sudden the stability control light started blinking and my speed was limited to about 5 mph, putting me in danger of being T-boned. After about 15 seconds of this the car finally figured out that something was wrong and lit up the service stabilitrak, service brake assist, and service traction control warnings and allowed me to accelerate again (exactly as it's done three times before when wheel speed sensors have gone out). This is a massive safety issue.

- Vilas, NC, USA

Apr 082016

On April 8 2016 my wife was on the way to the bank at peach and Liberty in erie pa. She was stopped at a red light when the light turn green she had no transmission or brakes. Luckily for her the emergence break worked because she was going backwards. Had it towed to roth Cadillac in erie pa. Was told that the transmission and transfer case broke (there was no warning) and they didn't know why the brakes went out when the transmission went. So again my wife contacted Cadillac headquarters and my wife got an email from Cadillac headquarters saying sorry for your problem but we will give you one hour of diagnostic for free. And from the dealership said this been happening a lot.

- Union City, PA, USA

Mar 042016

I brought a 2008 Cadillac back in Sept. 2014. April of 2015 I had a crankshaft sensor went out on me three times all three times I took it in to roth Cadillac of erie pa and I also contact Cadillac headquarters at the same time. I pay all three times. They fixed the sensor and repaired the wiring harness all three times. It seems like every 3-6 months it would break down. We were told by the mechanic at roth Cadillac that they got a memo about this problem. But wasn't going to do a recall on it.

- Union City, PA, USA

Oct 192015

On the morning of October 19th, while driving approximately three miles from my home, an incredibly loud banging sound shocked me into stopping the car on the side of the road. It felt as if something was going to come through the floor and into the interior console of the car. Panic-stricken, I didn┐T want to move the car again. When I called my husband, he instructed me to drive extremely slowly to the very short distance of a local mechanic's garage.upon inspection the mechanic found that the bolts on the driveshaft connected to the transmission were never torqued when the car was built at the GM plant. My mechanic informed me that the bolts unscrewed and fell into his hand without using a wrench and several of the bolts were sheared off, causing the driveshaft to come away from the transmission and almost penetrate the floor of the car. Needless to say the entire driveshaft had to be replaced with a new driveshaft. When this occurred the mileage was only 70,751 miles. This service was performed by blessing's service llc, 19 West shore trail, sparta, NJ 07871 at a cost of $1,024.39. All other service performed on this car prior to this incident was performed by mechanics at my dealership, brogan Cadillac located in totowa, New Jersey.

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Dec 152014

The contact owns a 2008 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that after shifting into park, the vehicle rolled away independently. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,500.

- Atco, NJ, USA

Feb 132014

CTS 6-cyl

I found a bolt laying in my driveway under the car. When I got in to drive it made a terrible noise as though something was loose. I took it to dealer and they said a bolt fell out of the driveshaft and the driveshaft needs replaced at a cost of approx. $900. I called GM to find out why a bolt would just fall out and why the driveshaft would need replaced with less than 38K miles and they could not answer me. They did agree to work with dealer and get my cost down to $400, however, I don't think I should have to pay anything since this sounds like a design flaw. I have never owned a car where bolts just fall off for no reason and I've had 10 year old cars with more than 100,000 miles on them. GM did not seem too interested in discussing the problem and said I should talk to the dealer. The dealer, of course had no answers since they did not manufacture the vehicle.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 182013

CTS 6-cyl

While trying to park, the steering wheel becomes stiff. I took it to the dealer to correct problem and it cost me $2,558.35 to replace steering pump and to get a wheel alignment. A week later I had to take the car back to the dealer for noises after applying the brakes and they had to replace both control arms and stabilizer links to correct problem. That job cost me $1,362.93. In April 2013, my front passenger door handle didn't open from the outside. The dealer had to replace the inside door handle housing split, trim pad and handle housing. This job cost me $1,376.99. Not sure why I'm having all of these problems when I get all the required maintenance and all jobs are done at a GM Cadillac dealership.

- Middletown , NY, USA

Dec 032012

The cars engine runs away with my car when I am sitting with my foot on the brake or at very slow idle with my foot on the brake. The problem is one that needs to be recalled. The internet is full of the same complaint for the same year and mileage, ( 29,000-32,000 miles ). I am reaching out to you because my car is at the dealer, nothing has been done to fix the problem, and I refuse to take my car back at this point. I paid cash for this car and this is the second time it has been in for the same problem. On Monday afternoon I pulled into my bank with cars in front of me and beside me. I came to a stop, had my foot on the brake and all hell broke loose. My car lunged forward, my engine was screaming, my speedometer said 80 mph, I had both feet on the brake to not hit the woman in front, my rear wheels were smoking and screaming and my car was jumping side to side because of the spinning wheels and nowhere to go because at this point I am standing on the brake with both feet. Someone screamed turn off the ignition and the moment was over. Courtesy Chevrolet in salisbury md, just called to say the problem didn't throw a code so Cadillac won't pay them to look and fix the problem. If they won"T fix what's wrong they can keep the vehicle and I want my money back and as I told them I won't stop until I get someone to listen and warn others of this problem. I have researched the internet and this is a very serious problem widespread and these cars need to be recalled. My husband says it's probably a problem in the computer that when the precise pressure is applied to the brake, the signal to the engine is go not stop.

- Milford, DE, USA

Oct 312012

CTS 6-cyl

I was traveling at 25mph when there was a sudden very loud explosive/grinding noise(it brought people running out of adjacent buildings). I hit my brakes immediately, but the noise continued until I put it into park. I exited the car and under the rear axle of my vehicle were multiple large bolts and screws lined up in a row. The vehicle was totally disabled, and subsequently was towed to the dealer. They determined that all the rear axle bolts just fell out at once.there was no other damage found to the vehicle. My concerns remain as to "why did this happen" and "what if I had been going at an accelerated rate of speed"? multiple experienced mechanics and specialist (including Cadillac) have no answers to these questions and have never seen this happen before.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA