2011 Cadillac CTS drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Cadillac CTS:

2011 Cadillac CTS Owner Comments

Jan 282016

My Cadillac Cts 2011 has had a failure in the rear differential, twice since I have owned it. The first time was Sept 2013 and the entire rear differential had to be replaced, and now Jan 2016, the exact same issue has occurred. There is a service bulletin on the vehicle of SB11084 and an NHTSA item number 10038765. It is a same that this is a know problem and a recall has not been generated. The vehicle will be out of the powertrain warranty at the end of February so unless a recall is done, this will not be covered on its next failure in a year.

- Decatur, IL, USA

Jun 012015

I just returned from my local Cadillac dealer and had to replace the left rear wheel hub and sensor. This is the third time I have had top replace the wheel hubs as the last 2 were the right rear and left front ones. I am curious to know if this is an ongoing problem related to any specific disclosed or non disclosure by Cadillac. I questioned the service advisor at Cadillac and he suggested that I hang onto the damaged parts and invoices for the repairs. I inquired further with the service advisor if this was an outstanding issue with this model and he suggested that there have been problems with 2008-2012 Cadillac wheel hubs. I wanted to alert NHTSA to this and suggest that maybe there should be some input from Cadillac with regards to an issue that should be looked at further.

- Woburn, MA, USA

Aug 012014

The contact owns a 2011 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 14V341000 (air bags, power train) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for repair. The dealer stated that the parts needed were unavailable for repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced the failure.

- Jefferson, TX, USA

Nov 202014

CTS 6-cyl

GM issued recall #N140233, NHTSA recall #14V341 on Aug.04, 2014. We took our car to an authorized GM dealer on Sept. 14 at which time they ordered a replacement part (#34106) which GM has yet to supply as of this date, Nov. 20, 2014. Upon checking with another dealer we were told they too are having trouble getting the necessary part from GM.

- Roach, MO, USA

Jun 072014

CTS 6-cyl

Had just accelerated after stopping at red light, reaching approx 25mph when we heard a very loud grating metal grinding sound. Alarmed we immediately started to pull over when the side airbags deployed. We were able to get out of the flow of traffic and onto the side of the road. We were dazed trying to make sense of what had happened. My husband was the driver and had received a large cut on his left forearm. We had owned this Cts for 10 weeks and had not as yet signed up for onstar. While trying to stop his bleeding I realized that the blow from the airbags had knocked my glasses off and I couldn't find my cell phone, I pushed the onstar button and gave them our information and they could not have been more helpful. After establishing that we were on the side of the road and out of immediate danger they arranged for a tow truck to take us to medved Cadillac. As this was a sat. We were not able to speak with the repair dept. Until mon.we were told that GM had to give approval to repair the vehicle. Eighteen days later 6/26 we picked up the car and were told that the entire car and all systems had been checked and that it was safe. Four days later 6/30 I was driving home and heard a clacking noise. I stopped and looked at my tires thinking I had a flat. Proceeded the few blocks to get home really afraid to get back in this car. We were going to take it back to medved but drove a few blocks from home and stopped at a light. Turned the corner heard a loud metal clunk, felt it on the floorboard as well. Had no acceleration to speak of. I turned on the flashers and tried to get out of traffic. Was able to coast home and call onstar. Spoke to a GM rep at that time and he said to have it towed back to medved.the next day 7/2 we were told that the drive shaft bolts had been sheared off but it was repaired. I refused the car.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Apr 022014

CTS 6-cyl

S10 appropriate handling- letter to the secretary from constituents re copy of letter to mary barra, chairman and chief executive officer (CEO), General Motors expressing dissatisfaction with after service care. The consumer stated there was a loud ticking noise coming from the vehicle, when it was started. The dealer inspected the vehicle, and assured the consumer the vehicle was dependable. On May 27, 2014 the consumer felt a mild vibration through the steering wheel. The dealer stated the balance was off, but everything was fine. On June 15, 2014, while driving, the consumer heard a loud bang, then a rough ticking sound and felt a shudder through the steering wheel. He gently braked and pulled over to the shoulder, inspected the vehicle, but found nothing wrong. After the vehicle was inspected again, and being told there was nothing wrong. He continued to experience a vibration through the steering wheel, and the thumping became more pronounced. Also, the vehicle lurched and a loud bang and heavy vibration, was flt throughout the car. The consumer had the vehicle towed to the dealer. The consumer explained to the dealer about the vibration tear in the cloth shield he discovered, the tow truck driver brought two of the four that held the drive shaft together to the service representative. The dealer informed the consumer the vibration tear was a cigarette burn, and the drive shaft bolts falling out of the vehicle and bearing failure were issues address several times before. After the vehicle was returned to the consumer, there was low pitched whistle during light to moderate acceleration, which he did not hear when he first purchased the vehicle. Also, there was a light weight oil/fluid leaking from under the engine area. He noticed the fuel consumption range had dropped from 17-18 mpg to 15 mpg. The rear end felt less stable and there was a slight shift when coming off driveways or over uneven pavement. (2011 Cadillac Cts).

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

May 262014

The contact owns a 2011 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle made a loud clanking noise in the engine without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who stated that a new drive shaft and pinion slang needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 33,602.

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 242014

CTS 6-cyl

Driving on a curvy country road the engine suddenly died, I lost power steering and almost ran off the road. I was able to coast to a stop. I put the car in park and it started immediately. The car does not have an ignition key, only a fob. The engine is 3.6 Cts 4. I drove 2 miles back home and parked the car and will not drive it again until a resolution is obtained for the problem.

- Manassas , VA, USA

Jul 172013

The contact owns a 2011 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated while shifting gears it seized in reverse. The vehicle approached speeds up to 80 mph and only stopped after he crashed into a home. There were no injuries. The vehicle was not repaired nor was the failure diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Boyten Beach , FL, USA

Apr 012013

CTS 8-cyl

Loud supercharger grinding noise.

- Mclean, VA, USA

Oct 092012

CTS 6-cyl

While having the oil changed at the dealer, the drive shaft snapped in two. This happened when a technician was moving the car after the service was completed. Aluminum drive shaft snapped at a circumferential weld in drive shaft pipe.

- Lynn Haven, FL, USA