2006 Cadillac DTS electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Cadillac DTS:

2006 Cadillac DTS Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jul 032013

DTS 8-cyl

Driving along the turnpike all of the car's warning lights came on and locks began to malfunction and there was a burning smell, I thought the car may of been on fire with the smoke and electrical smell. The vehicle began to slow so I pulled to the side of the road as the car was unable to be driven and had to be towed to mechanic. There is a severe electrical problem with this car.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Jul 172012

DTS 8-cyl

My 2006 Cadillac Dts hid headlight will intermittently, but not frequently, shut off. You can restore the headlight by just shutting the headlamp off and back on. My understanding is this is a common problem with the early GM hid systems included on the Cadillac and corvette. I believe this is due to a design defect. There is no indication this will occur and there is no warning on the dash of any kind. You simply have diminished view suddenly which is a risk to being able to see what is in the roadway.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Mar 162013

DTS 8-cyl

We were driving on I-40 West in sampson county, North Carolina when the headlights went out. They came back on shortly. They blinked a few times after that. We were nearly 100 miles from home at night and traffic was heavy. This was very frightening.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jan 182012

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated that the power steering assist and the washer pump sensors failed. The contact also mentioned the vehicle experienced a electrical wiring failure. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who diagnosed that the heated washer fluid module, the power steering gear inlet hose, and a wire harness needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V240000 (electrical system), NHTSA campaign number: 06V105000 (steering), or NHTSA campaign number: 08V441000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000 and the current mileage was 185,000.

- Evanston , IL, USA

Nov 292012

DTS 8-cyl

This 2006 Cadillac Dts was purchased used in November of 2011. At the time of purchase the vehicle only had 30,743 miles, was lightly used and never involved in any accidents. The vehicle currently has approximately 69,000 miles. A couple of months ago, I noticed the right side hid headlight flickering and going out while driving. Thinking it was a bulb, I spoke to the dealer by phone who advised it may be a bulb, ballast or loose connection. From research and dealer conversation, I learned it was a costly and time consuming repair just to replace the bulb, due to design issues requiring removal of the entire bumper cover just to access the headlight. I took it to the dealer for repair, but was told that they could not duplicate the problem. Since then, the flickering has gotten worse, now affecting both headlights. They randomly flicker off and on while driving proving to be a distraction to me, as well as drivers of other vehicles. It is also a safety issue as there is no warning when they are going to go out. A search of this issue via google reveals this is not an isolated instance with my vehicle, but in fact, is very widespread with many documented cases mirroring my situation. Cadillac / GM to my knowledge has not offered any relief to an issue that is obviously a defect. Per the dealer, repair of the ballast could be well over $1000. However, reviewing other's experience, there has been little success in finding or repairing the issue. Cadillac is supposed to be a flagship for GM and a premium automobile. I would think reliable, safe and functional headlights would be a minimum threshold for safety. I ask your assistance in reviewing the documented issues from many frustrated Cadillac owners who experience the same issues that I am having and exert some pressure on GM / Cadillac to rectify this known issue.

- Lebanon , VA, USA

Jul 092012

DTS 8-cyl

Continued problem with left headlight going out.

- La Crosse, WI, USA

Jul 012010

DTS 8-cyl

Headlight failure began at approximately 90,000 miles. Initially, it started with the interior instrument panel light growing dim and then bright at any given time. Then, headlights started doing the same thing. Soon thereafter, the right headlight started going out on a regular basis. It would initially flicker, then go totally out. After a few months, the left headlight started doing it. Recently, about 18 months after the first incident, they both go out at the same time! during an 80 mile trip I make on a regular basis, at least twice a week, my headlights will go out between 8 and 20 times! I can get them back on by jiggling the on/off light switch. But, one or both will turn back off within a matter of a few minutes. I try to drive during daylight hours as much as possible, but this trip is usually just before dawn or after dusk. I have called the dealer where I purchased the car, and have been told they've not heard of this problem. I don't believe that... all they have to do is talk to other Cadillac owners, as I have; or look on the internet. This has to be a widespread problem! in checking with another dealer, they told me it was a ballast problem, and would be between $1400 and $1800 to repair. This is a $7000 car. For Cadillac to expect me to pay 20% plus of the car's value to have headlights that work, is way out of line. I purchased this car new at a cost of $44,000. I expect to have headlights that work!! this is a safety issue and Cadillac should be responsible for providing a fix!

- Sulphur Springs, TX, USA

Mar 152011

DTS 8-cyl

Tampa fl the headlights will flicker then one of them will shut off, turn the switch on and off the lights will comeback on and then the other will flicker and go off. This will happen while driving.I have replaced one bulb, it stopped for one day then the problem is ongoing, same as the other postings on this side, maybe a recall should be put in place, before somebody will get hurt do to this problem with the headlights shutting off while driving @ night. Thank you.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Jul 202010

DTS 8-cyl

The right headlight started going on and off for no reason. It might go off while driving or sitting still. It might come back on in a few minutes or stay off for a full evening. Sometimes turning lights from automatic to manual will make it work, but not always. It has been doing this since July 2010, or for about 33,000 miles. It is dangerous when driving, plus I have been pulled over by police and so far I have been able to convince them the light had just gone out that evening. Now I have to limit my night driving near home, as I do not want the same officer to stop me. I have read many forums plus your site, and I see many, many people with the same problem. I have called the Cadillac consumer complaint department and they just say they have never heard of such a problem. I told them to check the internet. Today, I called the dealer that I bought it from, out of state, 15 months ago. I explained it and he said he has been selling them for 20 years and has never heard of such a problem. I told him to check the internet. I also asked him to try and get me a number for the Cadillac area rep, so I can talk to him. Please help before I get a ticket or worse yet hit while turning left at night. Thank you

- Ottawa, KS, USA

Apr 012010

06 Cadillac Dts has had serious electrical/computer system failures since new. Vehicle will suddenly lose all electronics, instruments, lights but engine will still run. After dealer attempted repair, problems continue. Headlights flicker and sometimes go out. Gps goes to night screen during the day. Auto headlight dimmer fails. Power points, instruments, seats periodically fail. One day seat cooler will work, others it won't. windshield wipers automatic function, "rainsense" starts normally but then stops in heavy rain requiring manual operation. All items reported to dealer multiple times with the same result "unable to duplicate customer's problem." Provided cell phone video of system failures but dealer still says they cannot duplicate.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Sep 142010

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and repaired for a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 10V240000 (electrical system). The contact disagreed with the remedy performed on the vehicle, which consisted of permanently removing the heated washer fluid module which was a safety feature equipped on the vehicle. The contact had concern of potential safety issues during inclement weather conditions. There had not been a failure related to the recall defect.

- Northville, MI, USA

May 182007

I have a 2006 caddillac Dts. There is an intermintent issue with the headlight and dashboard. They sometimes go into the nighttime mode in the daytime and it is very hard to see the dashboard when driving. I' searched google and found that other people have the same issue. GM told me they have no fix for this and it is not a big issue. Since they only have few complaints.they di D fix this in the 2007 model but they say even though it is the same model and body they cannot do anything. You also cannot use the flash yo pass headlight in the only works in the night mode.

- Surfside, FL, USA

Feb 112010

I have a periodic persistent stalling problem with my 2006 Cadillac Dts that the dealer has been unable to resolve from about 60,000 miles. The car sometimes just stalls out while at a red light or a stop. This is a dangerous situation with my 2006 Cadillac Dts. The dealer has been unable to resolve this issue since it began at about 60,000 miles. Is this an unsafe manufacturer defect in these cars?

- Newport Coast, CA, USA

Dec 302006

DTS 8-cyl

2006 Cadillac Dts has had several problems from day one. The day the consumer drove the vehicle off the lot, the tire pressure monitor light illuminated. The vehicle would not start after sitting in the carport overnight. Roadside assistance replaced the battery. 3 months later the vehicle failed to start again. The vehicle has been to the dealer seven times for braking problems. The consumer stated every time he applied the brakes, the entire vehicle vibrated/shimmied and when he released the brakes, the noise stopped.

- Sun City Center, FL, USA

Sep 012008

DTS 8-cyl

2006 Cadillac Dts recall notice for washer fluid heater. Consumer have questions about changes to the owners manual and how will the owner know if washer fluid heater will work after the repairs.

- North Saint Paul, MN, USA

Jul 282006

DTS 8-cyl

2006 Cadillac Dts has problems with the collision avoidance warning sensors. Consumer states that the problems are ongoing and believe that GM should buy the vehicle back. The consumer stated the warning sensors failed twice. The consumer stated the failure of the warning sensors, resulted in two minor accidents.

- Brownwood, TX, USA

Jul 012007

2006 Cadillac Deville console design is faulty, cars slides when making sharp turn. The consumer stated while trying to start the vehicle, the vehicle would not start and would not let him pull the key out of the ignition. The consumer stated that the console is in the way, it is located on the wrong side of the car, therefore making it difficult so that the right driving foot gets caught while operating the vehicle. The consumer stated the gas tank cap is difficult to open and the consumer being so tall he would have to bring an object along to close the door so he would not fall out of the vehicle. Also, the consumer stated that the vehicle is sliding while making a slight turn and the leather seats get really hot while consumer is driving.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

May 022006

Vehicle will not start. I have had the car since the end of November 2005 and on two occasions the car was dead. I did not buy the car to run everyday or in bad weather.

- Wytheville, VA, USA