2.5

hardy worth mentioning

2006 Cadillac DTS lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Cadillac DTS:

2006 Cadillac DTS Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 012013

DTS

TL- the contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated that while driving the headlights would flicker off and on. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnosed the defect. The contact also indicated that while driving at various speeds the vehicle would suddenly stall. After restarting the engine the vehicle would operate as normal. The defect was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 80,000. Jft

- Rosenburg, TX, USA

Aug 012013

DTS

2006 Cadillac Dts. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle headlight problems. The consumer noticed while driving at night, the headlights flickered and eventually went out. The consumer had to turn off the switch and turn it back on again, in order for the lights to come back on. He had to repeat the procedure over and over again.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Dec 192013

DTS 8-cyl

While driving at night on I-70 my headlights when out. I pulled off the road for a minute or so and they started working. Occasionally they will blink and then settle down. In investing this on the computer I discovered this happens frequently on this model. I think the mfg. Should announce a recall on this defect. Visualize driving at 65 mph in total darkness.

- South Park, PA, USA

Oct 012013

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated that the headlights failed. The failure was recurring however, the dealer was unable to correct the issue because the failure would only recur intermittently. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 127,000 and the current mileage was 130,000.

- Liberty , NC, USA

Aug 152011

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated that the passenger's side headlight failed intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated the passenger's side headlight would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure later occurred on the driver's side headlight. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Radcliff, KY, USA

Oct 152013

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated that the driver's side head light would fail sporadically. The contact mentioned that it was not the bulb burning since the light would illuminate intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was 111,000.

- Encino, CA, USA

Nov 052013

DTS 8-cyl

When headlights are on auto, or manual, the lights flicker, turn off, shut off while driving. I have to turn the headlights off and then back on thus far. I find this to be a safety issue and don't know the cause, have contacted General Motors to find if there are issues known to them.

- District Heights, MD, USA

Sep 262009

DTS 8-cyl

While on a trip in Wisconsin, I was traveling at night on a 4-lane highway with two friends in the car at a speed of 65 mph. Both headlights went out with no indication of failure on the dash. Thankfully, we were the only ones on the road. I slowed down and pulled to the side as best as I could see. Upon stopping the car, I switched the light switch on and off several times until both headlights came on again. I pulled back on the road to proceed - again no indication on the dash that anything was wrong with the headlights. A few miles down the road, one headlight went out. I switched the headlights on-off several times and both came on again. I took the car to the dealer on 28sep2009 and they replaced both headlights under warranty. A few weeks later on 4dec2009, I returned the car to the dealer because the right headlight continued to go out with no indication on the dash. The dealer replaced the right headlamp and I had no further problems until recently. I returned the car to the dealer 8nov2013 because the left headlight would go out, come back on, go out, come back on, etc. With no warning or indication on the dash. This is a big safety issue!!!!! if you read some blogs on this problem on the internet, you will find that this is not a unique case - and there is no explanation why it occurs. If the headlights go out, you should get an indication on the dash that a lamp is bad. Certainly, both lights should never go out at once while you are traveling. It is extremely expensive to replace headlamps in this car >$550 per light!!!!! more importantly, I cannot believe there is no investigation into this problem.

- Long Grove, IL, USA

Aug 022013

DTS 8-cyl

What would appear to be a burned out blinker bulb has now turned into a ridiculous mess especially with the few searches I have conducted on this issue so far especially owning the vehicle for less than 5 days (purchased used) not only is this a heat issue from the bulb the plastic housing has become so brittle that it is falling apart into small pieces & dust so, once my bulb fell out of its respective place in its socket it was resting on the housing I would say I have a uneven large opening the size of a tangerine where the blinker bulb used to reside. Good thing I checked to see where all the smoke was coming from and to investigate the burning going on I am extremely disappointed in what I have read about this thus far so much so, it makes me wonder about the rest of the vehicle it makes me wonder if I have made a mistake so to think that a new replacement cost well over $700 I am not happy over this issue over poor plastics deteriorating within 7 years in my case extremely disappointed...this is a Cadillac!!! my stance is...if Cadillac is not held responsibility for the quality of their parts or even their product then the manufacturers should be! and this is a safety issue in more than one way I do not have a usable blinker when wanting to make a right turn upon inspecting the burning smell & smoke I do believe a fire could have happened!

- North Arlington, NJ, USA

Jul 172012

DTS 8-cyl

My 2006 Cadillac Dts hid headlight will intermittently, but not frequently, shut off. You can restore the headlight by just shutting the headlamp off and back on. My understanding is this is a common problem with the early GM hid systems included on the Cadillac and corvette. I believe this is due to a design defect. There is no indication this will occur and there is no warning on the dash of any kind. You simply have diminished view suddenly which is a risk to being able to see what is in the roadway.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Apr 012011

DTS 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the headlights flickered on an intermittent basis. The contact had to pull the lever on and off in order for the lights to illuminate again. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000. The current mileage was approximately 130,000.

- Westland, MI, USA

Mar 162013

DTS 8-cyl

We were driving on I-40 West in sampson county, North Carolina when the headlights went out. They came back on shortly. They blinked a few times after that. We were nearly 100 miles from home at night and traffic was heavy. This was very frightening.

- Durham, NC, USA

Nov 152012

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated that the headlights flickered on and off without any warning. The driver had to use the switch to get them to turn back on. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. After diagnosis, the contact was informed that the bulbs and the ballasts were burned out and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 85,000. The current mileage was approximately 89,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- New Carrolton, MD, USA

Nov 292012

DTS 8-cyl

This 2006 Cadillac Dts was purchased used in November of 2011. At the time of purchase the vehicle only had 30,743 miles, was lightly used and never involved in any accidents. The vehicle currently has approximately 69,000 miles. A couple of months ago, I noticed the right side hid headlight flickering and going out while driving. Thinking it was a bulb, I spoke to the dealer by phone who advised it may be a bulb, ballast or loose connection. From research and dealer conversation, I learned it was a costly and time consuming repair just to replace the bulb, due to design issues requiring removal of the entire bumper cover just to access the headlight. I took it to the dealer for repair, but was told that they could not duplicate the problem. Since then, the flickering has gotten worse, now affecting both headlights. They randomly flicker off and on while driving proving to be a distraction to me, as well as drivers of other vehicles. It is also a safety issue as there is no warning when they are going to go out. A search of this issue via google reveals this is not an isolated instance with my vehicle, but in fact, is very widespread with many documented cases mirroring my situation. Cadillac / GM to my knowledge has not offered any relief to an issue that is obviously a defect. Per the dealer, repair of the ballast could be well over $1000. However, reviewing other's experience, there has been little success in finding or repairing the issue. Cadillac is supposed to be a flagship for GM and a premium automobile. I would think reliable, safe and functional headlights would be a minimum threshold for safety. I ask your assistance in reviewing the documented issues from many frustrated Cadillac owners who experience the same issues that I am having and exert some pressure on GM / Cadillac to rectify this known issue.

- Lebanon , VA, USA

Apr 052012

DTS 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated that the driver's side headlight would fail sporadically. The dealer was notified and an appointment was scheduled for repairs. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance to the contact. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileages were 69,700. Updated 08/28/12 the dealer replaced the ballast, which was faulty. Updated 08/29/12

Jul 092012

DTS 8-cyl

Continued problem with left headlight going out.

Jul 092012

DTS 8-cyl

Continued problem with left headlight going out.

Sep 152011

DTS

The left headlight will turn a rose color & then go out. The right is O.K. I bought the car used last July & possibly the right has been repaired already. The high cost to change a bulb is because of the design of the front. The inner fender & the front fasica has to come off to access the ballast or bulb. I think G.M. should pick up the cost for headlight repairs.

- Bowmanville , On. Canada. , FL, USA

Feb 012011

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated that the headlights illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that water entered the head light capsule through a faulty vent, causing it to corrode. The dealer stated that the head lights needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance because the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 77,000. Updated 05/10/12

- Morristown, NJ, USA

Jul 012010

DTS 8-cyl

Headlight failure began at approximately 90,000 miles. Initially, it started with the interior instrument panel light growing dim and then bright at any given time. Then, headlights started doing the same thing. Soon thereafter, the right headlight started going out on a regular basis. It would initially flicker, then go totally out. After a few months, the left headlight started doing it. Recently, about 18 months after the first incident, they both go out at the same time! during an 80 mile trip I make on a regular basis, at least twice a week, my headlights will go out between 8 and 20 times! I can get them back on by jiggling the on/off light switch. But, one or both will turn back off within a matter of a few minutes. I try to drive during daylight hours as much as possible, but this trip is usually just before dawn or after dusk. I have called the dealer where I purchased the car, and have been told they've not heard of this problem. I don't believe that... all they have to do is talk to other Cadillac owners, as I have; or look on the internet. This has to be a widespread problem! in checking with another dealer, they told me it was a ballast problem, and would be between $1400 and $1800 to repair. This is a $7000 car. For Cadillac to expect me to pay 20% plus of the car's value to have headlights that work, is way out of line. I purchased this car new at a cost of $44,000. I expect to have headlights that work!! this is a safety issue and Cadillac should be responsible for providing a fix!

- Sulphur Springs, TX, USA