2006 Cadillac DTS steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Cadillac DTS:

2006 Cadillac DTS Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 312016

DTS

Power steering fluid is squirting all over my engine compartment. There is a recall for the make model and year of my vehicle, but Cadillac keeps telling me that it's not a problem for my VIN. When I drive the car, power steering fluid contacts the hot engine parts and begins smoking. They've had a recall for this. I don't want my car to catch fire so I stopped driving it. I shouldn't have to pay for something that they already know is a problem, hence their own recall. They tell me I'll have to pay for the repair and if it's part of the recall, I might get reimbursed.

- Grandview, MO, USA

Jun 062015

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. While driving 40 mph, the steering wheel required more force to maneuver and smoke appeared from the hood. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the road side and observed that the power steering hose was leaking severely. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 06V105000(steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 141,179.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jun 202013

DTS

Had to replace the power steering hose (#06V105000) and when I noticed that this was a recall item I called Cadillac for reimbursement. I was told my VIN was not included in this recall.

- Okeechobee, FL, USA

Aug 262015

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. While driving at approximately 35 mph, an abnormally loud noise was heard from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering inlet hose needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in the NHTSA campaign number: 06V105000(steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,684.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 202015

DTS

I have noticed that when it rains and the streets are wet my steering wheel locks

- Fort Worth , TX, USA

Nov 062014

DTS 8-cyl

The power steering quit working while I was driving...then a few seconds later, the car shut off while I was still driving. I was only going about 35 mph and I was able to turn onto a side street, though it was very difficult to turn the car because the power steering had quit working. I was later informed by a mechanic at aaa that a bracket that connects the engine to the car's frame had come loose and the engine was vibrating, which caused the electrical wiring for the power steering to become worn, which caused it to short out. I was lucky I was only going 35 mph. If I had been on the highway on a curve when this happened, it is very possible that I would have crashed.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 142014

DTS

GM recall 14299 should correct the problem of ignition shutting off while driving. The key moves out of the 'run' position disabling the brakes and steering, . the fix was putting a piece of plastic in my key. This does not fix the problem. I expect the ignition switch to be replaced. I did not pay $50,000 for a cheap 'fix'.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 242014

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. While driving various speeds, the power steering failed and unknown fluids leaked onto the engine. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 06V105000 (steering) and stated that the failure might be related to the recall. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Jul 222014

DTS 8-cyl

Power steering hose leaking causing the wheel to lock up. Have called GM about this and they said it wasn't a recall... took it to easton Cadillac services and the gave me the sheet that showed it was between the VIN# that was affected in the power steering hose recall. 6U146663-6U550288... my VIN#6U187900... it has the same problems that was indicated on the recall and GM is unwilling to right their wrong.

Aug 172014

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle veered to the right without warning and crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a shoulder injury that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 24,995.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Jan 012014

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel seized without noticed. The contact had to restart the vehicle in order for it to resume normal function. Also, the contact stated that the key failed to release from the ignition. The contact had to make several attempts and wait over thirty minutes for the key to release. In addition, the key would become hot. The dealer conducted repairs that were unknown. However, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The vehicle was included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 154,000.

- Fairburn, GA, USA

Aug 062014

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated that the steering wheel was difficult to turn. Additionally, the contact smelled an abnormal odor and discovered that the power steering fluid was leaking. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 06V105000 (steering). The failure mileage was 94,000.

Jul 162014

DTS 8-cyl

Power steering pressure hose.

Aug 242014

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. While driving approximately 45 mph, all of the exterior lighting failed and the steering wheel seized. The contact also stated that the vehicle failed to respond when the brake pedal was depressed. As a result, the contact crashed the passenger side of the vehicle into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact and the passenger sustained neck and shoulder injuries, but medical attention was not received. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Aug 182014

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. While driving approximately 50 mph, the front passenger side tire blew out and the vehicle stalled. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized, causing the vehicle to spin and crash into a fence. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the cause of the failure was not determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- St Clairesville, OH, USA

Jul 072014

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated that the power steering failed and the steering wheel seized. The contact also mentioned that the steering wheel was vibrating and was making a load abnormal noise. The contact noticed that there was power steering fluid leaking. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering hose needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 06V105000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 182012

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated that the power steering assist and the washer pump sensors failed. The contact also mentioned the vehicle experienced a electrical wiring failure. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who diagnosed that the heated washer fluid module, the power steering gear inlet hose, and a wire harness needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V240000 (electrical system), NHTSA campaign number: 06V105000 (steering), or NHTSA campaign number: 08V441000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000 and the current mileage was 185,000.

- Evanston , IL, USA

Jan 242013

DTS 8-cyl

After experiencing a loss of power steering, I took the vehicle to vera Cadillac in pembroke pines, Florida. It was determined that the power steering hose was leaking at the crimp. Also, the fluid leaked down to the serpentine belt which sprayed the fluid all over the engine compartment. The hose and the belt were replaced at my expense (over $500). I knew there was a recall (NHTSA campaign id number 06V105000) for this vehicle concerning this exact problem but I was told that based on my VIN that my vehicle was not included in the recall. Based on the amount of complaints I've read online from people who have experienced the exact same scenario, I find it hard to believe this is a coincidence. I have the exact same vehicle with the exact same failure as stated in the recall. My vehicle was manufactured on 2/06 and has very low mileage. Someone needs to investigate why these other vehicles were not included in the recall. It seems to me that someone simply made a mistake when GM first investigated which vehicles to include.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 032011

DTS 8-cyl

Power steering hoses leaks, and oil pan gasket leaks I have oil in the street and in my drive way/garage because the power steering hoses are leaking they will only repair some VIN # cars for the power steering. Oil pan gasket on the oil pan is leaking I have found out there is no recall but GM have being having problem with these 4.6L norstar engine oil pans gaskets for a long time this is a major problem because they have issue-- bulletin no.: 03-06-01-027A that state you must remove the engine to do the repair this is very costly this is also a environmental issue this should be a recall issue.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 192013

DTS

The contact owns a 2006 Cadillac Dts. The contact stated that a burning odor was emitted into the vehicle and the power steering failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the high pressure power steering hose was leaking and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 06V105000 (steering:hydraulic power assist:hose, piping, and connections). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was unknown.

- Canastota, NY, USA