2001 Cadillac DeVille electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Cadillac DeVille:

2001 Cadillac DeVille Owner Comments

May 152009

DeVille 4.6L V8

When I bought the car I never noticed the battery gauge switching much, but after the battery died, which was three days after I first bought the car, I started paying more attention to it. For about two to three months the battery gauge would normally stay around 14.5 to 14.7 volts. However, it has started to fluctuate a lot more when I am driving. I may start out at 15 volts and the read 14.7 volts once I reach my destination. When I shift gears it will quickly jump from 14.6 to 13.3 volts. I thought at first that I had not tight the bolts enough but that did not help. I had the alternator and battery checked back in mid May of 2009 and was told the battery was bad and had it replaced since it was still under warranty. I had Autozone check it but got the battery from Advanced Auto Parts. However, after I got the new good battery the battery fluctuations still existed.

I took the car to a Cadillac dealership automotive shop and was told that it was normal for Cadillacs and I was good as long as battery light did not come on. What troubles me is that I would not have had the battery checked if not for the fluctuation in the gauge but from what I have been told and have found out the condition of the battery had nothing to do with the fluctuations. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

- , Midville, GA, USA