Engine Burns Oil

2001 Cadillac DeVille

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Cadillac dealer.

7.1

2. put in more oil (3 reports)
  3. took complaint to the Better Business Bureau and won (1 reports)
2001 Cadillac DeVille engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Cadillac DeVille:

2001 Cadillac DeVille Owner Comments

Oct 012008

DeVille northstar

IT gets expensive when your adding 1 to 2 quarts of oil every 2 weeks or so, If anyone has any advice please share as it will be appreciated. Thank You

- , Stoneham, MA, USA

Nov 302007

DeVille 4.6L

I have to check the oil level in the car at least once a week depending on the mileage, just make not to blow the engine up!

- , Decatur, GA, USA

Oct 302008

DeVille 4.6L V8

My 2001 Cadillac DeVille gives me very little trouble usually. It is used so I treat it like a baby. For the engine sounds like it is in good health and I have had almost no problems with it outside of the ordinary. A very annoying problem for me it the amount of oil it consumes. As several owners have mentioned I find myself adding about one to two quarts of oil between oil changes. I have been told that it is common for Cadillacs and that there is nothing I can do about it. My father suggested using No Leak Engine Oil Treatment which did seemed to slow down the rate it burns some but not enough to feel comfortable. I was told that it naturally leaks some oil on the back of the gasket. I am not sure how much having it replaced would help the problem.

- , Midville, GA, USA

May 112003

DeVille

EVER SINCE WE GOT THE CAR (USED) IT USED OIL.YOU DON'T NOTICE IT BURNING BY LOOKING AT THE EXHAUST, BUT EVERY 750 MILES IT'S ANOTHER

- , Jerseyville, Illinois, USA

Oct 252007

DeVille V8

Purchased Car Used with 25k miles with 100k extended warranty in 2001. 6 years later and car continues to require 2 quarts of oil in between regular oil changes. Taken to Dealership NUMEROUS times and they indicate that this is 'abnormal' and we should keep a record of it. Well who has time to go to the dealer every 45 days and get the oil topped off and record the 'pain in the ass' issue. I see now I'm not the only one. But kinds figured that on my own.

- , North Bend, WA, USA

Nov 052006

DeVille V8

i just want to know what can be done about the problem under my circumstances, if anything. thanks. sandra b.

- , Hamilton, Ohio, USA

Nov 172006

DeVille Northstar 3.2 V6

I have a 2001 Cadillac DeVille with 96,000 miles. I bought it about nine months ago and after the first oil change I noticed that I had to add a quart of oil every month or so. The mechanics have not been able to do anything and I tried using the thickest oil possible. I have no idea what to do from here.

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Nov 222006

DeVille DTS Northstar V8

Engine burns oil. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

- , Gales Creek, OR, USA

Oct 062003

DeVille LE

In 2003, this engine began using oil. No evidence of leaks, smoke, drips or anything else that is of notice. The engine will drop one quart of oil now somewhere over 1000 miles after an oil change. Normal dirving habits. The oil drop is noticable on highway driving or around town driving.

- , Richmond, Virginia, USA

Oct 032003

DeVille 4D

bought this car on jan. 20 2003. and took good care of it. had oil changed after i bought it at 1800 mi. and had to add oil twice. then when sign on comp. on dash told me to check oil is low i took it to dealer. and he said that this model with aluminum block burns 1 qt. every 2000 mi and said nothing can be done about it. i had this just a short time an i would like to report it to goverment and GM but i dont know how they will bury this report. i will never buy another car from GM.

- , Bel Air, MD, USA

Apr 242003

DeVille DTS

My 2001 Deville DTS used 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles and the dealership or GM refused to do anything about it except to soak the rings which would not corrert the problem. GM has a problem with linear warpage of the cylinder walls on the Nothstar engine and can't fix it. Most all Cadillacs use a lot of oil and there is a bulletin out expanding the oil perameters on the Northstar engine.

I took the matter to the Better Business Bureau and won. The BBB forced GM to replace my car. I am now driving a new 2003 DTS and it didn't cost me anything. If you are having the same problem with your Cadillac and can't get results, e-mail me using the link below

- , Shelby, NC, USA