1. reseal lower half of northstar engine (2 reports)
2002 Cadillac DeVille engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Cadillac DeVille:

2002 Cadillac DeVille Owner Comments

Oct 172012

DeVille Northstar

2002 Deville is a wonderful car with a lousy engine.I started smelling burning oil,took to dealer for change and inspection of smell,was told oil pan gasket leaking and needs replacement asap.Cost $1300 and that's with discount.Wow!Only 74000 miles and this.I can't believe that Chevrolet has no recall or even a half off coupon for this.We take pride in our cars and drive a Cadillac for comfort,style,and to support the American auto industry ,but NO MORE...I will now be buying a Toyota Avalon and see how that goes.Thanks Chevrolet for the bad taste in my mouth and another broken down Cadillac going to be parted out.(oh for everyone with this problem that is thinking just get a gasket and change it,NOPE Tranny needs to be moved and is an 11 hour job.Google it and every mechanic says same.So Cadillac planed this one so they would keep taking in money after the sale.)

- , Killeen, TX, USA

Dec 012008

Oil leak at the oil pan seal and main rear seal. Noticed oil on floor of garage and engine warning light appeared. Added oil. Looked under the car and could see where the leaks are. Drove to the Cadillac dealer and placed car on rack technician could see the leak sources. Estimate of cost to reseal the engine was $2200. The Technician informed me that Cadillac was aware of the this problem and had advised them of a way to reseal the engine without completely removing the engine from the car. The service manager told me that they averaged resealing two Northstar engines per month. I asked what percentage of the Cadillac's sold by them had to be resealed. He didn't know. The technician said that he had not seen any one returned for oil leaking after resealing. Cadillac refused to do anything about my problem. Maybe the best approach is get a sign and place on the car that it has a lemon Northstar engine with a latent defect that Cadillac refuses to take responsibility for the design flaw in seals.

- , Conyers, GA, USA

Sep 152004

DeVille 4.6L

My 2002 DeVille uses excessive amounts of oil. I need this problem to go away period!! why should I pay for this??

- , Kingston, NY, USA