2013 Cadillac SRX engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Cadillac SRX:

2013 Cadillac SRX Owner Comments

May 122016

The contact owns a 2013 Cadillac Srx. While driving at any speed, the vehicle lost power without warning and the engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the spark plugs needed to be replaced. The spark plugs were replaced, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer again where it was diagnosed that the transmission control module failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 13V097000 (electrical system, power train). The failure mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Gralroy, CA, USA

Sep 262014

SRX 6-cyl

I was driving on I94 West in the passing lane at 72 miles per hour when my engine shut down. The dashboard flashed 72, then 62, and 52 miles with an icon showing that the car was shutting down. Fortunately, traffic allowed me to coast to exit 112 (a marshall, mi rest stop) where I waited 1.5 hours for a tow. General Motors charged me for the tow. It has been two weeks and my car is still with GM for service 45 miles from my home. I am reporting this incident so that you are aware and hopefully it will not happen to others. I was lucky. It was scary and I am still quite shaken. This is an expensive vehicle that is only a year or more in age. It is unacceptable that it has a major defect. I fear for my safety and would prefer a replacement vehicle instead of the one I was driving.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 062014

SRX 6-cyl

1st event on 9/6/14: Entering freeway at 45 mph, increased acceleration to merge and the engine suddenly lagged with zero power for 2-3 seconds when the car tried to shift into the next gear. 2nd event 9-11-14: Accelerated from a stop. Operated properly through 1st and 2nd gear. When the transmission shifted into 3rd gear, the engine lagged/lost power. Accelerator continued to be depressed and 2-3 seconds later, full power came back. Additional event Aug-2014: A passing maneuver required hard acceleration which resulted in a lag when the transmission tried to shift into a passing gear. Again we had zero power with the engine dropping to idle for at least 3 seconds and then suddenly coming back up to speed. Note: We've had the car reprogrammed per NHTSA recall 14132 in June 2014. This is the same symptoms but occurring at much higher speeds and gear selection. Car is unsafe as the power loss could've resulted in a rear end collision.

- Yucaipa, CA, USA

Mar 182014

Stopped at a light. Light changed to green and pressed peddle to accelerate. Vehicle started normally into intersection and then would not continue for 5 to 7 seconds. The engine was at idle, not stalled, and would not respond to the peddle no matter what input was rendered. Been to dealer several times and even had a recorder installed, but they could find nothing wrong and returned the vehicle to us. This will eventually cause a fatality.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Sep 092013

After coming to a stop sign or traffic light, I will try to push my gas pedal and the Srx will move about 2 feet or so and then completely stop. This has happened 4 or 5 times and because the dealership cannot recreate the problem, they say there's nothing they can do. The Srx doesn't make any noise while pushing the pedal, it just acts as if the car is turned off. The only way to make it move again is if I change it into reverse or neutral and then back into drive. I've been almost killed at different intersections on several different occasions since I bought the car in July of 2013. The cue system is also having some issues such as the radio will completely stop working for several minutes at a time even though it shows that I'm pushing buttons to change the channel or volume. I owned a 2011 Srx before and never had this problem. I'm 8 months pregnant and afraid that I'll end up in a deadly vehicle crash. Please help!

- Bunker Hill, WV, USA

Oct 302013

SRX 6-cyl

I was driving on a side road, came to a busy road stop sign, stopped, went to turn right and lost acceleration power for approximately 5 seconds. My car just coasted into the direction I was turning my steering wheel. No power! fortunately, at the time, there no cars coming close enough, to make my vehicle a hazard. But, if the conditions were different, I certainly would have been in danger. The power picked back up after a few seconds, and I had acceleration power again. The same scenario has happened 4 times now, always after stopping and then trying to accelerate, and losing power for a few seconds, approx. 5 seconds. It began on 10/13/13, then on: 11/4/13, 1/3/14. And 2/3/14. I bought this 2013 Cadillac Srx luxury brand new on 4/20/13.

- Deland, FL, USA

Jan 022014

SRX 6-cyl

Acceleration problem starting from stop light (3)and turning right on a red light after a full stop. (1) in all cases car was accelerated from a fully stopped position. About 10 feet into the acceleration the car stopped accelerating for 2-4 secs then abruptly accelerated as commanded lurching forward. These events were random without any warning lights being illuminated during the event. Being an unknown condition a driver could expose the vehicle to an accident because of its shut down on acceleration.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Dec 112013

I had come to a stop to turn left. I was waiting for the traffic to clear, when there was adequate distance between cars, I pushed on the gas pedal and nothing happened. The car just stood still, no lights came on, no warnings, no engine rev, nothing happened for about 3-4 secs. However, by this point the cars were closing in on me and finally after I let off the pedal and slammed down on it again, my Srx moved and cleared the road way. It was very scary to be sitting there and expecting the car to move when the gas pedal is depressed and nothing happens.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Oct 142013

When entering the street from my driveway, the transmission failed to engage for four to five seconds. This has happened several times. When I took the vehicle in to galles & davis in albuquerque, they said the problem was due to an electronic acceleration system and that nothing culd be done.

- Albuquerque, NC, USA