3.3

2009 Cadillac STS steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Cadillac STS:

2009 Cadillac STS Owner Comments

Jun 262014

STS 8-cyl

While driving on the freeway all of a sudden the steering got extremely stiff and I lost my power steering. On the (dic) drivers information center the message displayed " service steering sys" when I stopped the car and let it cool down, normal steering returned. This problem keeps returning every day or two. At slow speed its almost impossible to turn, as when parking. I looked on line and found out this isn't an uncommon problem in both the 2009 cts & Sts Cadillac's. now I have to take the cart to the dealer to have it repaired and my question is will the repair be covered as the car has only 36,000 miles on it as a factory related problem as I'm out of the 5 year warranty. I have had Cadillac's since 1970 and never had a steering problem with any of them most had well over 200,000 on them with never any steering problems. This I have to add I have never had so many minor problems with any car I've owned as with this Cadillac especially with so few miles on it and now that the 5 year warranty is off these repairs are at my expense don't think I will ever buy another Cadillac or any GM car again if these repairs are not done at the factor's expence.

- Seattle, WA, USA

May 212014

STS 6-cyl

The car simply made a grinding sound and I lost all control of the vehicle. I could not steer, brake or accelerate. The gears were corroded and as a result the gear shift had no control over the car. The car has 47,000 and is only 5 years old and I was told that GM did not put a sealant on the undercarriage and as a result water and ice and all other weather affected the gears and literally rusted out. I am also told by the dealer that when they rebuild the transmission, they will now put that sealant where it should have been. To me this is a serious issue. They know this is a problem and are now going to be sure a sealant is part of the fix. I am fortunate that I was just getting back on a major highway when this occurred. If I had been doing 75 miles an hour in heavy traffic I truly believe I would have been killed. The car just stopped in its tracks and I had no control. Finally, I got the car to stop going backwards when I placed on the emergency brake. I have also been told that I am the third low mileage car that has been identified with this defect. Anyone living in wet and snowy climates is at serious risk. An investigation of the AWD GM vehicles is warranted. Meanwhile, I have a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty that expired in March and so GM does not believe they should fix this problem on their nickel. I believe there are going to be some serious accidents soon and want them to recall the cars to have the sealant placed on their vehicles and to check for corrosion.

- Manlius, NY, USA