2013 Cadillac XTS seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Cadillac XTS:

2013 Cadillac XTS Owner Comments

Dec 062012

XTS 6-cyl

Passenger side airbag will not activate. She weighs 115 lbs, is 5'1". she sits on 3 inch memory foam cushion for back for eight years, no structure, only foam. In eight years she has used cushion, we have owned 5 cars and have rented over 40 cars and she has never had a problem with the passenger airbag activation. Cadillac says the system is ok. I asked to try on another Xts and it still did not activate. This is a design problem. I understand that some cushions might interfere with the airbag system, but this thin cushion does not. I should say it works in corvettes and worked in the loaner 2013 cts Cadillac. The seat in the Xts is a new design and I believe it is defective. The seat is not flat and requires a much heavier person to activate the airbag. I believe this is unsafe. The safety issue is that many older people, such as would purchase a Cadillac, do use cushions and will either not be aware of or will ignore the fact that the passenger airbag will not work. I returned my Cadillac (and lost $14,000) as I had to choose between my wife or the car. I purchased a Lexus LS460 and the airbag worked perfectly with her cushion.

- Coral Gables, FL, USA