2002 Chevrolet Avalanche accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments

Nov 212005

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

I went off road at 45 mph airborn struck a very large tree which caused vehicle to roll over violently landing on its top. No air bags deployed, both my wife and I were ejected from the seat belts onstar was not notified. I noticed brakes acting strange just before leaving the road, they didn't slow the vehicle and didn't "click" like antilock breaks should. Vehicle was a total loss, windshield and drivers window broke, severe buckling of hood, passenger side pushed back to the tire, frame torn in several areas, duct and lower dash area displaced, SDM was downloaded showing incomplete data, SDM data does not support the amount of damage and know facts. My wife had to be airlifted to trauma cntr with serious injuries, my injuries were put on hold so that I could be with her.

- Shelton, WA, USA

Nov 152003

I have not given permission to the dealership service department to start repairs. They told me it was the rear axle or rear end that was damaged beyond repair and must be replaced. I was quoted a repair cost of $2,400 for a used part and $3,000 for a new part. This truck has around 42,000 miles and was purchased June 1, 2003. I have had multiple problems ranging from replacement of cd's to a door window motor problem. I inquired/complained about a noise in the rear end at around 25,000 miles prior to the breakdown. However, they could not find the problem. The tailgate would fall open when locked occasionally, but this was adjusted after taking it back for repair. I have also replaced one hub assembly on the front of the truck at a cost of $250. There is an oil usage problem that requires an additional quart to be added between changes. I personally think that this truck is a lemon and needs to be researched to discern if it has had some previous mechanical problems. Although it was purchased new there is a possibility that it could have had some malfunctions before it was delivered. I misplaced my receipts, and I'm not sure that the service department will give me another copy. However, I will search for them as verification that I took the truck in on several occasions for various and sundry complaints.

- Jackson, MS, USA