3.1

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments

May 062011

Avalanche 8-cyl

The handles to the bed covers have deteriorated completely off. Not all of them as of this writing but soon they all will fall off at the connection at the side of the bed. The corrosion is happening rapidly. I rarely take them off, so it is not from wear and tear. I do not haul things in the bed that would bend, leak, or crack them. I live in North East Texas approximately an hour East of dallas. There is a white corrosion that is eating the metal. Since this is a non salt air state and a non road salt mixture state (maybe 1X a year which I do not drive if road conditions call for street treatment) it is not that. I rarely drive the truck, for I do not work, I take it to the store, about 4 miles away and I take it to dallas every now and then. The safety concern is my handle failing and one of my bed covers comes off while I'm driving. The covers are heavy and fairly large. I don't think they would fly far but I wouldn't want to run over one of them. I have the covers off at this point for obvious reasons but the truck was not designed for them to be off. The wind whips the truck unexpectedly and you feel like you have little control and I associate this with the amount of weight that is gone off the truck that was designed to keep the truck weighted appropriately for safe driving conditions. It is not the blowing wind but the wind created as the truck picks up speed, the multi axle trucks also cause it to actually move up and over when they pass my truck on the highway. It is an insecure feeling and is not conducive to confident driving. When the wind is blowing it is hard to keep the truck on the road along with the other factors it feels like it will take flight. The covers are the weight that keeps the truck from being blown out of the lane your driving in. Thank you for your time and considerations. Sincerely, corroded bed cover handles, tx.

- Canton, TX, USA

Oct 082009

Avalanche

Water pours into passenger compartment from shut sunroof if any sort of heavy precipitation, last date below but has been happening since 2005. Have since learned the flooded floor can cause random air bag deployment. This then is a safety issue big time.

- Landing, NJ, USA

Sep 012005

Avalanche

Water is entering the rear floor area when raining.

- Reedley, CA, USA

Dec 122004

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

Water is leaking into the cab, through the mid gate. Eventhough the sales person told me the compartments were all water tight and would not leak. I have complained but the service person tells me that what I should have been told is that the compartments are water resistant not water tight. Something needs to be done about this!!!

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Jan 132003

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

Discoloration of cargo covers and body armer.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Dec 242001

Avalanche

Water leak is coming though under midgate inside of vehicle. Water runs though footboard and vehicle smells. Dealership is aware of problem.

- Freedom, PA, USA