2002 Chevrolet Avalanche brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments

Sep 012014

Avalanche Z71 5.3

Replaced sensor, still didn't work correctly. Had my service man replace again. This time it worked for 1 week. I gave up. Took out fuse, waited 2 months and put fuse back in. Now it works fine.

- , Morton, IL, USA

May 042009

Avalanche Z71 V8

I also have been having problems with my ABS kicking in at slow speeds on dry pavement. I had to plant the right side of my truck into a guard rail to avoid hitting a car that stopped short. I was only going 5 mph so I only put a cut in the rubber bumper but it could have been worse. I suspect that this is a serial defect since I am not the only one having the problem.

- , Southbury, CT, USA

Feb 072007

Avalanche Z-71 5.3L

I also have the same issue with ABS kicking in at slow speeds, I believe it started a few months ago after I had the brakes replaced. I also have a howling noise from the drivers side front wheel, possibly a bearing wear out, not sure if this is related with the ABS issue.

- , Westminster, MD, USA

Feb 012007

Avalanche 4.8L

When I brake at a slower speed and hit a bump or uneven pavement my brakes don't apply themselves anymore. It sort of glides foward with a loss of brake control, maybe the ABS is kicking in? I contacted GM to inform them of my braking problem. They said there is no recall and I would have to pay the dealership for a diagnostic check. All they did was insist on making my appointment for me, and told me that it was unsafe to be driving around like that.

- , Simi Valley, CA, USA