2002 Chevrolet Avalanche brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Sep 292014

Avalanche

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500. The contact stated that while traveling at a low speeds, the ABS sensor illuminated and when applying the brake pedal, the vehicle lunged forward. The contact mentioned that excessive force was required into order to bring the vehicle to a complete stop. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Lancaster , PA, USA

Oct 302014

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

When attempting to shift out of park the brake must be applied. The brake pedal sank to the floor and the brake telltale illuminated. Investigation identified a leak in the brake line just forward of the ABS module. Additional inspection highlighted significant brake line corrosion in the remainder of the system. The mechanic advised that a complete replacement should be done.

- Davison, MI, USA

Oct 152014

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving in the grass group carrying chairs to a campfire on the other side of the field with boys riding in the bed of my truck when I hit my brakes and they went to the floor. It scared me because there were boys walking in front of me. The truck did stop but not as quickly as I wanted it to. I am very glad no one was hurt. The next morning I looked under the truck and the long brake line that runs from the front to the rear of the truck had rusted and ruptured leaking out all of the fluid.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Jul 102013

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

The brake line that goes the length of the truck from the front to the rear brakes corroded through and resulted in the failure of the brakes on my truck. I had to steer off the road and into some brush and a drainage ditch to stop the vehicle and avoid hitting cars in front of me.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Sep 092014

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

Driving in school parking lot at 10 mph when all of a sudden, without any warning or notification from dash display, had to depress brake pedal all the way to the floor for the vehicle to stop. Braking distance increased dramatically. Went to the dealership and they informed me that the brake line ad rusted, brake fluid started to leak and all brake lines had to be replaced. Estimated cost of repairs is $1200 usd. All the times I took truck in for service and maintenance, not once did they recommend replacing brake lines. Did research online and mechanics and owner's of similar vehicles said that this is a design flaw and should be subject to recall.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Sep 172014

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

While exiting the highway another vehicle cut in front of mine forcing me to stomp on the brakes to avoid a collision. The brake pedal went to the floor, but I did not make contact with the other vehicle. The drive home was less than 1 mile and brake pedal had no resistance. Once in my driveway, I noticed a small puddle. Had my wife press the brake pedal while I looked underneath and brake fluid shot out of one of the brake lines. Will be forced to have it towed to a repair facility.

- Lutherville , MD, USA

Aug 252014

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

After making the 23.7 mile commute to work driving on a parkway with a speed limit of 55 miles per hour that includes hills, I was entering into the parking lot at my workplace at approximately five miles per hour and when I applied the brake pedal the pedal went straight down to the floor and would not stop the truck. I then quickly applied the emergency parking brake and it stopped the truck. Approximately 30 minutes later I noticed a puddle of brake fluid next to my left front tire and a large puddle of brake fluid next to my left rear tire. That is when I looked under the vehicle and noticed the brake line had rusted apart.

- Hyden, KY, USA

Aug 202014

Avalanche

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche. The contact stated while driving 35 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but failed to respond. The contact had to use the emergency brake to stop the vehicle. The dealer diagnosed that the brake line needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired but failure persisted. The manufacturer had not been notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Kimbolton, OH, USA

Aug 212014

Avalanche 8-cyl

Vehicle was stopped at stop sign. Suddenly brake pedal went to floor and vehicle started drifting into intersection with tractor trailer approaching. No lights ever came on. My wife pulled the emergency brake to stop vehicle. Found metal brake line ruptured at fuel tank.

- Springgrove, PA, USA

Aug 052006

Avalanche 8-cyl

GM had repaired the rust brake defects on my type of vehicle in many salt states that endure cold weather. But because there was not enough outrage they did not repair this same defect in my state. There is a problem with the wheel bearings where rust causes the anti lock braking system to needless engage when it should not during slow speeds sometimes making braking dangerous in slow turning and parking situations. I have already spent thousands of dollars fixing these defects on my own but because of a faulty design in the system this problem has a tendency to re occur.

- Washington, MI, USA

Aug 012014

Avalanche 8-cyl

I was leaving work and traveling around 20 mph. I attempted to brake for a stop sign and the brake pedal went nearly all the way to the floor and braking was severely compromised, taking much longer than usual to stop. It was taken to a GM service shop (hallman's Chevrolet) where they indicated that my brake lines were corroded, one was leaking brake fluid, and all lines needed to be replaced. The vehicle had passed the state inspection 2-3 weeks prior to this event. At that time, I had told them that my brakes were acting abnormally. The dealership indicated that they do not check brake lines during an inspection. Cost to fix the issue was quoted at around $1700.

- Erie, PA, USA

Aug 312012

Avalanche 8-cyl

Driving the vehicle while towing a horse trailer, went to apply the brakes and didn't have any brakes the brake lines broke.

- New Windsor, MD, USA

Jul 192014

Avalanche 8-cyl

Pulling boat (22 ft ) from the boat launch to the make ready area. Stepped on brakes and peddle suddenly and without warning went to the floor ! upon inspection of the brake lines, they are rusted and in bad shape. The brake line that runs on top of the frame rail on the drivers side and goes to the rear wheels had blown out !!

- North Anson , ME, USA

Jul 222013

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

When applying the brake to shift from park the brake pedal goes to the floor. This happened in July and November 2013, and again about two weeks ago.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

May 282014

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

Was driving around the block as I had just jump started the dead battery. As I approached a stop the brakes were applied and the truck kept rolling as the brakes were spongy. As I applied more pressure the pedal hit the floor. I narrowly missed hitting a car coming from the side street. I coasted the truck home and there was fluid pouring from the lines just behind the ABS module. All the lines are severely rusted.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 232004

Avalanche 8-cyl

Emergency/parking brake parts worn out prematurely. Park brake hardly ever used but the vehicle failed state inspection due to inability to stop vehicle. I was told by several mechanics and owner's of similar vehicles that this is a design flaw and should be subject to recall.

- Seguin, TX, USA

Mar 032014

Avalanche 8-cyl

As I was approaching a stop light at approximately 25 mph I applied the brakes and the brake pedal suddenly went to the floor and I lost the brakes causing me to roll through the traffic light. Fortunately no one was coming through from the other direction. It was taken to my mechanic where he discovered that the rear brake lines were so corroded that they burst when the brakes were applied. Entire rear brake line system needed to be replaced at my expense.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Apr 022014

Avalanche 8-cyl

When approaching a stop light changing to red, brakes were applied moderately hard and the pedal went to the floor with severely reduced braking resulting in a stopping distance about 1 car length longer than normal. No brake warning light during this incident. I continued another mile to my destination with reduced braking. When the warning light appeared, the leak in a corroded line on top of the frame on the left side of the engine was apparent. I drove the vehicle to a Chevrolet dealer about 1 more mile for repairs.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Jan 012012

Avalanche

Antilock brake lights came on...there was a recall for "salt" belt states, however, areas that get snow and roads are salted as well such as reno, nv, truckee, ca etc and other states that have similar conditions to those that were already included in the previous recall should have been included as well.... same problem, similar conditions. Why would my area not be included as well??

- Reno, NV, USA

Mar 262014

Avalanche 8-cyl

While driving thru a parking lot after picking up my lunch, the food began to fall which I took my eyes off driving to catch it. When I looked up I saw light pole in front of me and when I pushed my brakes, it felt like the pedal went straight to the floor. Its like I pushed so hard I overpowered the system. When I backed away from the pole the brakes felt fine. I hit the pole which in turn caused cosmetic damage along with breaking the steering box because the tire hit the cement base. Also we found the brake fluid level sensor had broken at the fluid reservoir.

- Laingsburg, MI, USA