1. replace wheel bearings (3 reports)
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments

Aug 122009

Avalanche Z71 5.3L V8

Was stuck on the ohio turnpike for four hours with a wheel ready to fall off my truck waiting for a wrecker to show up, when it did, I should have been towing his pile of sh*t instead. He put my truck on four small little dolly wheel's that wear dry rotted, I had to help him run the winch cause it kept jumping out of gear, oh an the rotted tires, yea one took a sh*t 3 miles down the road, so, yea, it was a pain in the ass

- , Dellroy, OH, USA

Mar 082010

I am disappointed with my 2002 Avalanche. I have only had it a couple of years and I have put plenty of money into it repairing items on it. People told me buy American and I did. I usually call things like my Avalanche junk because of the repairs. Don't get me wrong, it is a great ride but the repairs are mounting up for such a newer vehicle for me. I have a 97 Toyota Camry and a 98 Toyota 4Runner with really no problems. Lots more mileage too. A left front wheel bearing at under 79,000 miles is nuts. I am partially handicapped where I can't repair my vehicles anymore and being retired, it is costing me money. Come on GM, put better quality into your vehicles.

- , Willoughby, OH, USA

Jan 082007

Avalanche LT 5.3 V8

I thought it was odd when the wheel bearings needed replacement on a 3-year old vehicle. Since it was covered under warranty at that time, I did not care too much.

Now, after five years and only 90,000 km, I have to replace my left front wheel bearing at my own expense. If GM had a bad batch of wheel bearings, they should cover this sort of thing. Now that both have been replaced, I am hopeful the replacement parts will last longer or at least until I can buy something else.

- , Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Nov 302006

Avalanche Z71 5.3L

slight grinding noise coming from wheels at speeds less than 20 mph - thought it was the brakes but it was a wheel bearing which resulted in a brake job also. Part was $350 cdn.

- , Mattawa, ON, Canada