2.4

hardy worth mentioning

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments

Jan 012013

Avalanche 8-cyl

My speedo and fuel gauge either do not work or peg out in the instrument cluster. I never received the recall notice for my Z71 Chevrolet Avalanche and Chevrolet is saying that they put a limit on the year and mileage. If I would have known it was a recall I would have taken in my vehicle to have it fixed for free. Chevrolet is saying I have to pay for this.... this is not right.

- Keller, TX, USA

Jun 142010

Avalanche 8-cyl

The contact owns 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche. The instrumental cluster gear light indicator failed and she was unable to see what gear the vehicle was in. The manufacturer had a voluntary recall which included a limited warranty up to 70,000 miles; therefore, they would not offer any assistance with the repairs. The mileage on the vehicle exceeded the warranty mileage. The failure and the current mileages were 83,600. Updated 10/01/2010 updated 10/05/10.

- Pinole, CA, USA

Dec 022009

Avalanche

The speedometer quits working while driving or stops working all together.

- High Point, NC, USA

Nov 252007

Avalanche

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche. The contact was driving approximately 60 mph; however, the speedometer reading was 100 mph. The speedometer and odometer displayed inaccurate readings. The odometer continued to increase the mileage traveled by one mile. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer advised the contact that a service letter was mailed to him prior to the failure regarding the odometer and a repair was also performed; therefore, they vehicle could not provide any additional free remedies. The vehicle had not been repaired when the complaint was filed. The failure mileage was 45,000. The current mileage was 98,000. Updated 11/16/10.

- Round Lake, IL, USA

Jun 122006

Avalanche

I have replaced the instrument cluster 4 times. 2 times in 2006 and 2 times in 2008, because the new ones put in were defective. The customer should in no way have to pay for this manufacturing defect. This was on a 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche.

- Stoney Creek, 00, USA

Oct 112008

Avalanche

Speedomoter will not work, then stick and then not work.

- Chipley, FL, USA

Feb 012005

Avalanche

Speed odometer has not worked for 3 out of the 6 years I had the truck, 2003 Chevy Avalanche.

- Gilbertsville, PA, USA

May 012007

Avalanche

My speedometer, oil gauge, gas gauge has stopped working in the dash approximately 9 moths ago and we have contacted our local GM retailer and they said that there is not a recall on a manufacturer defect. I was told that it was a cluster that was the problem by my personal mechanic and that it is very expensive to fix. I do not think that I should have to fix this problem since it is a manufacturer defect. I have several friend that have a Chevrolet with the same problem. I paid alot of money for this vehicle and I think that GM should fix the problem that we did not know we were purchasing in the first place.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Dec 012007

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

General Motors mailed me a notice advising that my vehicle (2003 Avalanche which I purchased new in Oct 2003) "could develop a condition where one or more of the instrument panel gauge needles may stick, flutter, or become inoperative." It was additionally noted that "this condition may cause inaccurate readings, including speedometer and the fuel gauge." Remedy of replacement was offered for vehicles within 7 years of original date placed in service or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. My vehicle exhibits this problem in speedometer. My vehicle has over 80,000 miles and is not included in the repair offer. The condition in mine is exhibited when temperatures are below 45-50 degrees (typically in winter), and began last winter. I associated it with the weather and didn't think too much about it. However, now that I know it is a defect, I believe GM should be expected to correct this defect in all affected vehicles. I believe it can be considered a safety issue - no speedometer - no fuel gauge reading, especially when they are working properly sometimes and at others not at all or inaccurately.

- Poquoson, VA, USA

Dec 062006

Avalanche 8-cyl

It just began about a month ago. The speedometer was registering the wrong speed and now it does not move at all. Huge safety issue! I am an mp and how can I expect others to follow the laws when I can not even tell how fast I am going?

- Apo, AE, USA

Nov 202007

Avalanche 8-cyl

Speedometer broken. Can read anywhere between 40 and 120 mph when stopped. I have no idea what speed I am going. This seems very dangerous and something the manufacturer should fix.

- Oswego, IL, USA

Nov 012007

Avalanche 8-cyl

Failure of my speedometer to work properly on my 2003 Chevy Avalanche.

- Allen , TX, USA

Sep 082007

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

The accessory lights on my steering wheel that operate radio volume, souce, on-star, etc are not all working. I was told at bradshaw Chevrolet that they have had to repair alot of these and would not be included as recall. This is a safety hazard and you can't see at night which button to select. Also now the light for my mileage and engine operation has faded out until I can barely read it.

- Travelers Rest, SC, USA

Jul 042007

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

My speedometer started reporting errors in speed and now shows 60 mph when parked and immediately goes off scale when driven at any speed above 30 mph.

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

May 012007

Avalanche 8-cyl

The speedometer does not function correctly all the time.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

May 052007

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

Instrument cluster went bad at 42,000 miles. After reading some of the other complaints about the instrument panel, how do I know if my speedometer is working right.

- Glade Spring, VA, USA

Mar 282007

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

Speedometer on my 2003 Z71 Avalanche works erratically or not at all. A significant safety issue I went to the dealership from who I bought my vehicle. Dealership said there was no recall on speedometer (instrument clusters) for my type of vehicle and that they could not replace the cluster as part of "goodwill" by GM because they have not been instructed to do so. They were not aware of the fact that many Avalanche and other GM SUVS have identical problems (usually a bad stepper motor in the instrument cluster). Cost to replace cluster is about $350-$400 including labor. Given the nature of the failure and how widespread it is, I think the NHTSA engineers should investigate this problem and perhaps tell GM they need to recall these vehicles before accidents occur. I have to estimate my speeds on a vehicle with only 58000 miles on it. I have talked with my Chevrolet service department and they said this is becoming very common. GM should issue a recall to get this fixed.

- Kent, WA, USA

Jan 042007

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

Speedometer started reading inaccurate speeds. Lately it reads 55 mph when at a stop and pegs out at around 60 mph. Replacement ranges from $220 for "do it yourself" kit with old part needing to be returned for core charge to $650 and up from the dealer. Still haven't fixed problem. Part is still in the vehicle.

- Mooresville, IN, USA

Dec 192006

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

Speedometer on my 2003 Z71 Avalanche works erratically or not at all. A significant safety issue I went to the dealership from who I bought my vehicle. Dealership said there was no recall on speedometer (instrument clusters) for my type of vehicle and that they could not replace the cluster as part of "goodwill" by GM because they have not been instructed to do so. They were not aware of the fact that many Avalanche and other GM SUVS have identical problems (usually a bad stepper motor in the instrument cluster). Cost to replace cluster is about $350-$400 including labor. Given the nature of the failure and how widespread it is, I think the NHTSA engineers should investigate this problem and perhaps tell GM they need to recall these vehicles before accidents occur. I have to estimate my speeds on a vehicle with only 58000 miles on it. I have read reports where speedometer failures have occurred within 10,000 miles.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Dec 082006

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

Speedometer sticking on 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4WD, nothing leads up to it just driving and it sticks at a certain speed wont correct itself, to correct it you have to unhook battery cables and then it is ok for a while until it sticks again, this has happened over 4 times now have been waiting for a recall to fix problem. This can not be caused by bad driving by owner or improper maintenance, this is something electronic.

- Wardensville, WV, USA