2. replace brake lines (2 reports)
2003 Chevrolet Avalanche brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments

Jun 022015

Avalanche 1500 Z71 5.3L V8

Like others have mentioned, I was driving on a road about 35 MPH and without warning the brake pedal went straight to the floor. Luckily, right at the end of the throw on the brake pedal, the brakes get applied to the wheels if you press really hard. After getting truck to garage, a single line was replaced, but when they had to bleed the lines, another line blew. This happened 3-4 times according to mechanic, so I made the decision to have all lines replaced on the truck, which is why the cost was so high.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 122014

Avalanche V8

Beware brake lines are rusting away. Lines give way without any warning brake pedal goes right to floor....

- , Cambridge, MA, USA

May 212014

Almost one year to the day, I lost my brakes again on my 2003 Avalanche. Luckily again, not much traffic around and I was able to get into the right lane and then the shoulder and come to a full stop. Towed again to the same shop as last year. They confirmed same problem as last year....three other brake lines completely and totally rusted through......the brake line they replaced last year was still like new, but the other three were rusted out. This time it cost me over $1,000. for repairs. The government or someone needs to correct this danger on these trucks. I've got too much money invested in the Avalanche to get rid of it now. But I tell everyone not to buy a GM product. I never will.

- , Waretown, NJ, USA

May 242013

My brakes suddenly & without any warning stopped working.......brake pedal right to the floor. Luckily, there was no traffic and I slowed down onto the shoulder. Had Avalanche towed to shop for repairs. They showed me one rusted out brake line and told me they've seen this many times before on this type of truck. I had it replaced and repaired for about $500. (Lots of labor to fabricated it into place). After research on the internet, realized this is a big problem with GM and their vehicles. This truck needs to be recalled and the problems resolved by GM.

- , Waretown, NJ, USA