2003 Chevrolet Avalanche brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Feb 192014

Avalanche 8-cyl

While driving home at roughly 35 mph I attempted to stop and when I pressed on the brake pedal the pedal went to the floor and the on board computer system came on and set check brake system. I was able to pump the brake and get some pressure but I could here a hissing sound anytime I pressed the pedal. I was within two miles of the house and was able to get home. My husband looked at the brake system and there was a hole from a rusty section of the brake line over the top of the chassis in the drivers side rear area. Every time you step on the pedal it would spray a steady stream of brake fluid.

- Hanahan, SC, USA

Jan 042014

Avalanche

Corroded steel brake line developed a hole and leak of brake fluid. This led to inability to brake adequately to stop. All 4 brake lines need replaced due to severe corrosion. There appears to be a large number of complaints about these and similar GM vehicles experiencing brake line failures.

- Erie, PA, USA

Dec 172013

Avalanche

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500. The contact stated that the brake pedal became stuck to the floorboard while attempting to reverse. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic, who found that the brake lines were corroded and leaking brake fluid. The brake lines were replaced. The failure and current mileage was 59,353.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Dec 092013

Avalanche 8-cyl

I was driving down the road with my wife and granddaughter when all the brakes, I mean all the brakes went, and a service brake lights came on at the same time.I managed to drift to a stop, otherwise we would have hurt someone or been killed. No warning. I had to pay 1900 for the repair which we cannot afford since I am on disability. It still scares us.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Nov 212013

Avalanche 8-cyl

Brakes failed due to a rusted brake pipe while driving home from work. Luckily I was on my street and traveling just under 25 mph. After inspection of the under side of vehicle I discovered not one but, two leaks. I do expect some issues with a vehicle my age and mileage but, not a total brake failure. I did contact the dealer for replacement parts just to learn that the parts have been discontinue.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Oct 292013

Avalanche

Approaching stop light, hit brakes, and pedal went all the way to the floor, there was no brake at all. No one was in front of me at light, so I turned right and coasted into parking lot. Had truck towed home, found rusted and split brake line under drivers door, the other 3 lines in the bundle were almost gone too, just moving another one caused it to break open, so.as of today, I replaced the front4 lines.and plan on doing the rear this week... the entire under- carriage is rusty, way more than normal, I restore ars and have a 1951 Chevy, that's original frame and looks new.. I compare trucks every time I get a chance, ,,and this Chevy is baddd. Love the truck, just hate replacing, brakes, rotors, lines all the time...rear backing plates have been. Rusted away, since 2005.

- Howard, OH, USA

Oct 252013

Avalanche 8-cyl

Experienced loss of braking power due to a leak in one of the front metal brake lines. Took vehicle to a repair shop who informed me all the metal brake lines were highly corroded and needed to be replaced. I contacted jim mckay dealership and was informed these brake lines are on back order with no indication of when parts would be available. Repair shop has to custom make all brake lines with an estimate of $1,500 - $1,600. Brake lines should not corrode, this is defective material. Lines should be stainless steel, if not, coated at a minimum.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Oct 172013

Avalanche 8-cyl

Vehicle was moving at approximately 50 miles per hour and brakes were applied to prepare for a right turn. At first the brakes were beginning to be effective, but sudden loss of hydrological pressure resulted in brake pedal traveling all the way to the floor and little to no braking power was available. Indicator lights and bells illuminated indicating that the braking system needed serviced. Vehicle coasted to a stop and was placed into park. Brake fluid was visible on the passenger side front wheel well.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Sep 012013

Avalanche 8-cyl

Brakes went out while pulling a trailer. Went through an intersection. Thank god it was early on a Sunday morning. Brake line had a completed rusted and burst. When looking to repair, the entire brake line was rusted and blistered. All other lines were about to burst. Had to replace all brake lines on this vehicle. I have owned many vehicles and much older and higher mileage vehicles and never had to replace brake lines. This is ridiculous how bad the lines were. I am the original owner of this vehicle and I know it was well taken care of.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Sep 122013

Avalanche

The contact 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500. While driving 35 mph, the brakes failed. The contact stated the vehicle coasted until it eventually stopped. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic who confirmed that the brake lines were covered with rust. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 76000.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Aug 282013

Avalanche

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the brakes failed to respond. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and was diagnosed as corrosion of the brake line. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident and he was advised to take the vehicle to an authorized dealer. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Winchester , VA, USA

Sep 032013

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

Lost brakes. Line from front of truck to back brakes ruptured. Had to use emergency brake to stop. All brake lines are in rusted condition and need replacement.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA

Aug 232013

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

Update to complaint 10538262 after reviewing other complaints with similar issues I forgot to put in key data. I had a brake line failure on the drivers side left front and forgot to list that in my original complaint and also lines up with the current open item: NHTSA action number EA11001 all the brakes lines need to replaced since they are rusty, falling apart and very brittle. Lucky this issue to not occur when I using the truck earlier in the day when my daughter was in the truck. While attempting to move an unloaded trailer in my yard, I began to backup to the trailer applying the brakes since I was lined up to the trailer, applied the brakes to stop and the brakes went to the floor and the message flashed stating brake issue and lots of bells going off. Incident occurred 8/23/13, had truck towed to garage since it took 10X the distance to try to stop the truck and was not safe to drive. Since the truck is at the garage waiting on parts I do not have actual mileage but has approximately 91K miles. I did not have any other warnings and had new brake pads and rotors installed in the last two months.

- Sanbornton, NH, USA

Aug 232013

- Sanbornton, NH, USA

Aug 012013

Avalanche

Applied brakes, pedal went to the floor - truck could not stop - ran into bushes on side of road.

- Medford, NY, USA

Jul 222013

Avalanche 8-cyl

I was driving at a speed of 50 mph approaching stopped traffic, when I applied the brakes, the brake peddle went to the floor and the vehicle do not slow down. The brake light came and I applied the emergency brake to slow to a stop. I then had the vehicle towed to a repair shop where they told me that all four of the brake linings were rusted through. I hunt and fish with this vehicle and go off road a lot, this is why I purchased this vehicle in the first place. To have a off road vehicle manufactured with brake linings that rust through is criminal.

- Fallston, MD, USA

Jul 102013

Avalanche

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, he depressed the brakes and the brake pedal traveled to the floor board. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed that the brake lines were corroded and fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Jun 092009

Avalanche 8-cyl

Driving went to stop didn't have any brakes I replace all the brake lines and replace bumper lights cost about 4, 000.00 the ABS went out which is not fix.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Aug 312011

Avalanche 8-cyl

08/31/2011 brake line failure. Second brake lie failure occurred 04/15/2012.third brake line failure occurred 7/28/2012.fourth brake line failure occurred 1/27/2013. At that time it was highly recommended to replace all remaining brake line segments which were showing signs of corrosion. The total for the incidences mentioned was $1586.15.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA

Apr 132013

Avalanche 8-cyl

Put my foot on the brake pedal to stop, pedal went to the floor. I was going uphill. That was probably wen front brake line blew. Had a little brake power left, turned truck around, went one block to my home, plled into my driveway going uphill again when the rear brake ine blew, stoped the truck with the emergency brake. Had to have all break lines replaced due to rust. Forty years servicing aotos never had all or any breakline rust out. Replaced flexiable hoses on brake calipers when the became brittle, but never hard lines, even on a 1971 caddy I had for 25 years. This happened one block from home at the beginning of a planned 100 mile highway trip, at 65mph we probably could have been killed. Someone was watching over us, not GM, they don't even have premade brakelines to fix a known problem!

- Wayne, NJ, USA