2004 Chevrolet Avalanche engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments

Nov 042014

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving on the interstate when I noticed that my speed would not go over 35mph. I did not notice this beforehand because the speed limit was 35mph up until I needed to accelerate to highway speeds. I noticed that no matter what I did, or how fast I was going, the speedometer would not read above 35mph. Needless to say that this made my trip to the airport rather stressful as I had no idea how fast I was going. I could only pace with other cars and hoped they weren't going too fast. I have read that this has been an ongoing problem with the Avalanche with not just the speedometer but also the rest of the gauges on the cluster. It would be really nice if GM/Chevrolet would address this issue and make a recall for it. Ever since this incident, it's been randomly breaking. If I stop and restart the vehicle, sometimes it works as normal. However sometimes I'm just not sure and this lack of trust with the gauges could end up being a serious problem.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 012012

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500. The contact stated that the speedometer failed without warning and would not read any speeds over 20 mph. The failure was intermittent. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop where it was diagnosed that the speedometer motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was to be inspected and repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Medina, OH, USA

May 012008

Avalanche 8-cyl

Was driving at a rate I thought was around 65-70 mph but got pulled over for going 84 mph. I explained to the officer I was only going about 68 mph. He then showed me the radar gun and it said 84mph. When I went back to my truck I noticed my gauge was stuck on 18mph I showed the officer and luckily he told me ha had the same problem with his Chevy truck and let me off with just a warning. To make things worse all gauges don't work now. I've read some messages online and some people said they got letters to repair this problem. I've been the only owner of this truck since May 2004 and never received anything about this problem. I believe GM should repair the problem because it's a big safety issue. Please help. Thank you

- Los Banos, CA, USA

May 012007

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

The cluster on a 2004 Avalanche chev is broken. The speedometer is malfunctioning on a daily basis. I'm doing 30mph in the city, the speedometer reads 65mph; I'm doing 65mph on I-75, the speedometer reads over 100mph.

- Macon, GA, USA

May 072007

This is to complain about the failing speedometers in GM trucks and SUVS. Mine is a 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche and the speedometer failed to show the accurate speed of the vehicle. This leads to dangerous speeds without the driver's knowledge.

- Angier, NC, USA

Feb 082007

Speedometer malfunctioned.

- Estill Springs, TN, USA

Dec 092006

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500, the speedometer has quit working, and the tachometer works intermittently. Periodically the speedometer will move, but not show an accurate speed. Currently it is stuck at 0 mph. There are many complaints on the internet about this same issue. Is anything being discussed with GM to rectify this situation, as their response so far is to tell consumers are on their own with Y the dealer.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Dec 312006

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche. The speedometer would register abnormal miles per hour. The failure and current mileage was 68,000. The dealer was aware that the problem existed. The vehicle has not be repaired.

- Afb, MD, USA

Sep 302006

Avalanche 8-cyl

2004 Avalanche speedometer malfunctioning with 36000 miles. I have done a search on line and have found numerous complaints with the same problem.

- Adairsville, GA, USA