$2,574.00

1. replace transmission (6 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Avalanche transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments

May 232012

Avalanche LS V8

I sent my truck to the detailer to get washed. They called me saying that my truck wouldn't move. To my suprise, my transmission had gone out just like that. Man, they don't make these vehicles out of anything anymore.

- , Clarksdale, MS, USA

Aug 202013

Avalanche Z66

so now, other than minor lights and door issues, I have had to problems driving this truck.. I came home from work, pulled in my driveway, put it in reverse, to straighten it up, and it would not go into reverse, it was like it was in neutral. I tried it a couple of times , nothing. so when I was on the phone calling for help to push the vehicle back to get out my car to drive to work.. it decided to go into reverse, as I continued to try it. so I drove my car to work the next day, had my ex get my truck to take to the shop to check it out, it worked fine for him, in my yard, as he got about 1/4 mile from my home, it stopped, trans ripped apart, as he put it.. lol.. weird thing, is that he could put it in reverse at that time, but nothing else..so now it is at the shop, probably in the process of getting another transmission put in it. my point being, I have only had this thing since Feb 2013. it looks really good, was running really good, all the interior (leather) was good, no tears or anything, just a little wear. body was good, just a small spot on the back bumper and the tires needed replacing , and 1 owner.. it is a 2004 but I was highly advised by people who Knew what they were doing, that this was a great buy.. so much of a great buy, look at how much this is already costing me... bad thing, there was nothing indicating that the transmission as failing..

- , Loxley, AL, USA

Oct 052012

Avalanche 5.3L

My transmission is going out!!! I have done my best taking care of it. Always made sure the oil was changed, fluid was topped off, and now it will cost me $2600 out of pocket because of mismatched parts. I am disgusted as a die hard Chevy lover and and considering never buying another Chevy again...

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA

Sep 262011

Avalanche LS 5.3L V8

My 2004 Avalanche experienced a complete transmission failure while cruising at highway speed. The failure required a $1700 rebuild since gears were damaged (I checked the parts and saw that there was considerable wear in the sun shell and gears). The mechanic that did the work took the time to check why it failed at only 73,000 miles...turns out that GM had installed the incorrect/mismatched valve body gaskets, leading to overheating and eventual failure. I contacted GM about this premature failure and the incorrect valve body gaskets, and they refused to help.

I've seen so many similar trans issues w/the Ava, I suggest that we all file complaints with NTSB (odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml) so they can investigate why there are so many Ava transmission issues.

- , Berlin, NJ, USA

Feb 262010

Avalanche 1500 4WD 5.3L V8

This Avalanche is my BABY. I have ALWAYS changed the oil & serviced it every 3,000 miles. I keep it spotless. Coming home last night, the speedometer registered 50 mph while stopped, waiting for the green light. I thought...a sensor. A couple miles up the road, it registered 110 mph, and the transmission started slipping badly. I barely made it home. The local dealership told me it would cost $3000 to replace, but a NAPA certified mechanic friend of mine quoted $2000. This happened right out of the blue, no warning. What's the deal GM ??? You get a vehicle paid for, and it flies all to hell. I should've traded for the F150 I was looking at a couple months ago. At least they will stand behind their trucks. Last GM truck I will ever own.

- , Hudson, NC, USA

Jan 122009

Avalanche

This is incredible. I'm hauling my small 18' boat and the transmission starts slipping. Now they tell me I have to replace it. A year ago my check engine light goes on and they told me it was a false alarm. As if they knew that less than a year out of warranty the transmission would self destruct. I take good care of my truck and I did nothing to cause the problem. Chevrolet should be responsible for replacing it!

- , Miami Lakes, FL, USA

Sep 282008

Avalanche V6

RIDICULOUS!!! I have a 2004 Z66 Avalanche. I take very good care of it. Out of no where the transmission is blown! Unbelievable. 58,000 miles. You've got to be kidding me. I've read other complaints on this same problem with the same engine. Chevrolet should be responsible for fixing this problem!!

- , Mtn. Home, AR, USA