Print this page Notes: It didn't take long for the cladding to fade, discolor, and in some cases crack. Cladding is the protective plastic piece that runs along the outside of vehicles, and exposure to both heat and UV rays give the Avalanche's cladding a chalky, faded appearance.

Owners have said the problem is especially bad on the panels near the cargo bed. Eventually, GM agreed to a one-time treatment of ArmorDillo, a protective treatment similar to what you find in any auto shop. Unfortunately, that would only help for 6 months (on average).

Eventually, GM offered another coating solution for owners within the 3 year / 36,000 mile original warranty under TSB:04-08-111-001C.

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments

Dec 132015

Catastrophic brake failure because of four corroded brake lines. All four lines corroded in the bracket holding the lines to the driver side frame rail. I was driving the vehicle and when I attempted to apply the brakes there was initial resistance and then the brake pedal went straight to the floor. I attempted to apply the brakes again but the vehicle would not stop. I had to apply the parking brake to stop.

- Williamsburg, OH, USA

Jun 212015

Brakes failed under hard stop (highway, in motion). Intermediate steel brake line failed to rear brakes in a mode of rupture due to corrosion. ABS light had been on with service brake message as well. All other steel lines were corroded and contacted GM. 2 other Silverado line vehicles owned also failed this year due to corrosion. GM response was that no recall existed. Replaced all steel brake lines in vehicle with stainless aftermarket lines. After multiple contacts with GM customer service, I was told to save my receipts for repairs. This is an incorrect material specification, latent defect and GM needs to be held accountable. 3 vehicles that I own with the same repair in 8 months. Inexcusable!

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Jul 252015

The blower stopped working on my auto temp control and now won't shut off.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Jul 182014

Avalanche 8-cyl

Front brake line rusted through spewing brake fluid.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 022014

Avalanche 8-cyl

I was slowing down for a stop light. An animal ran in front of me. I stepped hard on the brakes. The brake pedal went to the floor. No prior problems. I had the truck towed to an independent mechanic. The mechanic found the right front steel brake line ruptured. Upon further testing, the left front steel brake line also ruptured. Both lines were rusty. The lines did not appear to be coated. New brake lines from Napa had a coating. When the front brakes failed to function, the rear brakes did very little to stop the vehicle. Inspection and replacement of brake lines is not a routine maintenance item.

- Sutherland, VA, USA

Sep 072013

Avalanche 8-cyl

The braking system failed due to brake line corrosion. Although the vehicle is 8 years old, it is very well maintained and only has 14973 original miles. All of the brake lines on the vehicle need to be replaced due to severe corrosion. GM refuses to acknowledge a design flaw and refuses to offer any assistance in replacing the brake lines.

- Bow, NH, USA

May 282012

Avalanche 8-cyl

Stepped on the brakes to stop for a stop sign at a major intersection and my brake pedal was good a first then completely sunk to the floor. The truck stopped in the middle of the intersection that was thankfully void of traffic. My wife and I were a bit shook up. It could easily been worse. We carefully traveled to the nearest service station and were lucky to get flatbedded to a local Chevrolet dealer. Memorial day 4pm in Georgia, I did not have high hopes. The service people examined the truck and it was apparent that my truck had catastrophic failure of the brake lines. I thought it was a master cylinder due to the complete loss of fluid. While we waited for tow truck I purchased brake fluid and filled my completely empty reservoir, had my wife step on the brake as I watched the fluid just pour out from the front drivers side area near the frame.

- Hilton Head, SC, USA