3.4

2005 Chevrolet Aveo engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Aveo:

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Owner Comments

Oct 222008

Aveo

I drive a 2005 Chevy Aveo, yesterday 10-22-08, while I was driving on the freeway, my engine temp shot up to max. Luckily I was just coming up on my exit so I got to the bottom of the offramp and pulled off to the side. Smoke was pouring out the hood of my car. It turns out the plastic housing thermostat housing cracked in half and all the coolant in my car poured out. While I was sitting on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck my engine continued to get overheated. I replaced my water pump housing myself Chevy has an updated thermostat housing made of metal now, but now I have large amounts of air blowing through my coolant reservoir. My head gasket is blown and possibly the head is warped. I was looking on line for info and it turns out this is a very common problem for many people. Now because Chevy didn't recall a known problem there are hundreds of people out there having to pay $1,000+ to have major engine work performed. Not to mention all those people stuck on the side of the road waiting for tow trucks. I don't know if this qualifies as something your association deals with but I just think someone should be notified and something should be done. Thank you for your time.

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Oct 032008

Aveo

Driving on the freeway uphill. No warning lights, no change in temperature. Thermostat housing broke in half at the seam. Thermostat is originally from factory, permanently encased in a plastic type housing. This is all one (1) piece. Chevy has superseded this item with a metal type housing within their ranks/computers, because it was a known issue. This item (plastic thermostat housing) knowingly splits as early as 30,000 miles. For us it was about 45,000 miles. This was never a recall item nor was any info ever sent out warning about it. Failure of this part leads to the known leaking and expelling of hazardous anti-freeze/coolant on roads but also leads to the unrealized overheating of engine. This can lead to unnecessary engine damage from simple overheating of oil to the extreme of blown head gaskets, blown/broken cylinder rings, warped engine heads or complete engine seizure. This failing part was known early enough that the new product had already been made and distributed to dealerships. Web logs are full of this particular failure, on this vehicle. 3 days after repair, the car has a "slow start", as long as 15 min. The dealer kept it 2 days, replaced plugs & wires, charged $400. 3 days after this (10/13/08), same exact problem, in addition hold light will stay on & car shakes as if not getting fuel. I must turn off the engine and attempt to restart. The dealer has informed me unless the actual problem is occurring they cannot diagnose. Today (10/16/08) after a slow start, the A/C worked for about 10 min then started blowing hot air. Turned it off for a couple of minutes and it proceeded with cool air. This happened twice.

- West Covina, CA, USA

Sep 012008

Aveo

2005 Chevy Aveo. Thermostat is originally, from factory, permanently encased in a plastic type housing. This is all one (1) piece. Chevy has superseded this item with a metal type housing within their ranks/computers, because it was a known issue. This item (plastic thermostat housing) knowingly splits as early as 30,000 miles. For us it was about 46,000 miles. This was never a recall item nor was any information ever sent out warning about it. Failure of this part leads to the known leaking and expelling of hazardous anti-freeze/coolant on roads but also leads to the unrealized overheating of engine. This can lead to unnecessary engine damage from simple overheating of oil to the extreme of blown head gaskets, blown/broken cylinder rings, warped engine heads or complete engine seizure. Chevy retails the new metal part from $82 - $95. This failing part was known early enough that the new product had already been made and distributed to dealerships. Web logs are full of this particular failure, on this vehicle.

- Garland, TX, USA

Apr 162008

Aveo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Aveo. When the contact pulled out into traffic at 5 mph, the vehicle would stall or act as if it was not getting enough gasoline to drive forward. On one occasion, the vehicle completely shut down without warning. Prior to the failure, the contact placed the vehicle into park and restarted it, causing it to quickly accelerate forward. The dealer could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The contact was informed to retrieve her vehicle because they did not know whether or not the failure was repaired. She also consulted the manufacturer and filed a complaint. The VIN was unknown. The current mileage was approximately 34,700 and failure mileage was approximately 34,500.

- Wooster, OH, USA

Jun 292006

Aveo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Aveo. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle accelerated without warning and was difficult to slow down. She was forced to turn the engine off and restart it. The first failure occurred in April of 2006 at 6,000 miles. In July 2007, the dealer was unable to diagnose the failure or obtain a reading in the computer. On one occasion the failure occurred 4 times in a day. The dealer also offered to purchase the vehicle for $7,000. The failure mileage was 6,000 and current mileage was 15,000.

- Snohomish , WA, USA

Jun 062008

Aveo

I have a 2005 Chevy Aveo and recently was driving to work when it started to smoke and make funny noises, after being fixed at the dealership, I was told that the clutch was red hot, cracked the plate and the fly well and was a hazard to drive, I have only had the car three yrs and never did anything to cause this, I am wondering if this was a manufacture or mechanical issue with the car, I ended up paying 854$ to fix the car but for the time that I was without it, I had to take a bus to work for three weeks and rely on friends to help me out. Is this car safe?

- Barre, VT, USA

Apr 152008

Aveo

Took the car to a repair shop and he said that the idler was out of control, melted and ruined my engine.

- Cobb, CA, USA

Dec 062007

Aveo 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Aveo. The check engine light began illuminating on December 6, 2007. The dealer stated that there was a recall; however, it did not apply to her VIN. The contact wants her vehicle included in the recall. The NHTSA campaign id number was unavailable. The current and failure mileages were 44,220. Updated 03/25/08. Updated 01/21/15

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Sep 122005

Aveo

Consumer letter concerning engine service light illuminated. The engine light illuminated due to a fuel gauge error the first time. When the engine light illuminated again, the dealer explained that the wiring harness needed to be relocated and not repaired.

- Slatington, PA, USA