2006 Chevrolet Aveo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Aveo:

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 062013

Aveo

Day time running lights work sometimes for a short time afraid of a fire. Called GM they said problem is not in their computer.

- Ellendale, DE, USA

Jun 082014

Aveo 4-cyl

I arrived home from work on 6/8/2014 and when I removed the key from the ignition, the key was very hot it nearly burned my hand. I literally said "ow", I informed my father who was nearby and he asked me to check the around the key ignition panel which I did and it was also very hot. I called mcgee Chevrolet (877) 823-5348 in raynham, MA this morning on 6/9/2014 and asked them about this, he ran the VIN number and said there isn't a recall on this Chevy Aveo model, but I informed him that this sounds like it could be a fire hazard and this could be a recall issue. He said that this could be the first issue for this vehicle type and could be a recall in the future. We set up an appointment to go to their service station at 11 am today 6/9/2014. He informed us that we would have to pay for this repairs as it is out of warranty, but we should keep the receipt in case there is a recall in the future.

- Middleborough, MA, USA

Apr 072014

Aveo

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that while driving, the vehicle experienced sudden deceleration and hesitation. The contact also indicated that the airbag sensor light was illuminated and the center console became extremely hot to the touch. The vehicle was repaired by an independent mechanic but the failure continued to occur. No further information was available. The manufacturer was notified and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the NHTSA campaign number 14V261000(electrical). The contact stated that the vehicle experienced the same defect listed in the recall. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Kittery , ME, USA

May 272014

Aveo 4-cyl

I drove from work to lunch approx 2 miles. Parked the car, turned it off, got out to go inside to get lunch, when I came back and opened the car door there was smoke coming from the dashboard. I waited a minute to see if it would stop. It did not so called 911 to have the fire department come out. While waiting for the fire department, I saw flames and the whole dashboard area of the car caught on car.

- Loveland, CO, USA

May 012012

Aveo

The passenger airbag sensor never turns off, even when someone is sitting in the seat. All of the instrument panel gauges periodically stop working and the instrument panel cluster fuse blows frequently. Also have to frequently use the shift-lock release feature in order to get the car out of park. Have had previous problems with the key getting stuck in the ignition. The daytime running lights also periodically stop working (they turn on and off randomly). Have needed to have damaged wires in the hood compartment fuse box replaced, but all problems keep coming back. Can no longer afford to keep taking the car in for repairs and cannot afford a new car, so I am currently driving with all of these problems. I do not ever feel safe in the car and avoid taking it anywhere unless I absolutely have to. Many of these same problems have been reported by other owners and there needs to be more recalls than just the current fire hazard recall.

Jan 012012

Aveo 4-cyl

My daytime running lights have pretty much never worked, I have always had to manually engage my lights otherwise the dtr lights would go for a few minutes then burn flicker and short out, only working when I turn the lights on the manual way. My back turn signal shorted out around early 2012. Not only did it stop working but it melted the light socket housing, making it so I had to replace the whole light socket. Most recently, either May 14th or 15th, I started up my car, but I couldn't put it into gear, it was impossible to get it into gear, so we tried to turn off the car to figure out our next move. But the key would not come out, so we had to restart the car and finally got the gear to engage, and we took it home and had to unplug the battery because we could not take out the key but did not want it to wear out the battery.

- Rochester, WA, USA

Oct 232008

Aveo 4-cyl

I have contacted you before. First, some months after I purchased car when I turned off car ignition would not turn completely off. Went on for two + years used wd forty finally got it to work most of the time. Had to go back to car hours after driving until it would release key and turn all the way off. The dash light stayed on and drained the battery. I noticed, (not all the time) that the gas pedal under my foot felt really hot; thought it was because it was a warm day etc, but it happened in cool weather also. Replaced head gasket seal twice still have oil leak. About three years ago + or -, had to have ball something in front wheel replaced. It broke again had it done again. When I accelerate left front wheel rattles. I drive slow in it and only go to school to get grand kids and to store primarily. Went to a big city and car( dragged, would not accelerate )on up ramps, went to orlando once to visit family, same thing. Two weeks after purchase car acted dead, would not start, took off battery cables, replaced them and car started. I called the ph # in owners manual at onset of problems, they said I would have to pay for diagnostics. I had repairs done by mechanics not assc'd w/ dealership, because of cost. I spent a lot on repairs from early on after purchase. I bought a car for reliability, to Transport my gkids and get to go visit my family members I fl and tenn, but I only went to visit orlando once because I was afraid of driving in the mountains. Updated 4/1/15

- Live Oak, Fl, FL, USA

Feb 042014

Aveo

Arrived at a hotel five hours away from home, parked my car and could not get my key out of the ignition. Fortunately I had my spare key with me so I was able to lock the door. Took it to a dealership and it cost about $500 to fix. They said the problem was the ignition lock solenoid. I read a lot of similar cases with this model online and it is unfair that we all have to pay to fix this issue. Recall!

Apr 012013

Aveo

Have taken the car to Chevrolet dealership multiple times and everytime the problem is "fixed" it happens again a few days or sometimes weeks later. First, the instrument panel cluster fuse kept blowing. Seemed to happen when fuel gauge read 1/2 full. Eventually, after many trips to dealership to fix it, it worked for three weeks and the fuse started blowing again. Then, RPM gauge started moving erratically for about a week and then stopped working altogether. Fortunately, this fixed the problem with the fuse blowing, but overtime, my temperature gauge did the same thing, and now my fuel gauge is starting to go. If I drive over 55 mph, sometimes the RPM and fuel gauge will move, but not accurately. When I did think that the problem was fixed for those three weeks, I had taken the car in for another problem. Speedometer/instrument panel lights not working interior lights not working tail lights or brake lights not working all of this happened suddenly when I was driving at night. I checked online and found that the wiring design inside the splicer in the hood compartment fuse box was prone to failure (a lot of people have had this problem). I mentioned this at the dealership and sure enough that is where the problem was. They also said that my other electrical problems had to do with this as well. They fixed the problem, but then three weeks later, the initial problem with the instrument panel cluster fuse was back. I cannot afford to keep taking the car in for the same repair. I have researched online and found that many people have this problem with this car. It is incredibly dangerous to have a car that isn't electrically reliable.

Apr 172014

Aveo 4-cyl

Driving and lost steering and brakes and ran into a truck. Tried to steer and stop and could not.

- Amberg , WI, USA

Apr 252013

Aveo

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated while driving 55 mph, the instrument panel failed to function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but they could not determine the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 34,000.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Oct 162013

Aveo 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated she removed the keys from the ignition however, the engine continued to operate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, who stated that the shorted shifter switch would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacture was not made aware about the failure. The failure mileage was 19,814. Updated 5/27/14

- Gratna, LA, USA

May 182011

Aveo

First my clock would go out then my miles would disappear while driving my horn went out and then my radio, when checked out it was not my fuses it was told to me it was my electrical system and my car should not be having these issues.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Nov 272013

Aveo 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that after parking, the vehicle rolled away in reverse. The contact engaged the emergency brake to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the shifter cable tab fractured and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 78,000...updated 12-30-13 updated 1/17/2014

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Aug 072013

Aveo

Instrument panel cluster fuse kept blowing, only when fuel gauge was below half of a tank. Dealer was unable to find problem. Soon after instrument panel lights, gear shift lights, and passenger side tail light went out. Replaced tail light bulbs, and still did not work. Read forums and found the problem was splicer in the hood compartment fuse box. Seems to be a common problem with this car, there needs to be a recall due to extreme safety issues. Cannot see or be seen at night, cannot see gauges when driving at night.

- Midpines , CA, USA

Jan 282011

Aveo

Replaced every emissions at least four/two sets of tires/shocks/strutsengine seals/signal lights/headlight /tail light pretty much every light including inside car that I can think of/ replaced two batteries/ had corrosion taken out of different parts under hood as well replace many wires under hood. I have putting money in this car since 2009. I am done it has a total of 43,000 miles.do not buy one.

- Lller, MD, USA

Jan 302013

Aveo

Dash lights and clock light flickered for months then dash lights finally went dead. Dash lights no longer work and also has affected rear passenger side tail lamp. The plastic splice connector box in the under hood fuse box is burnt to a crisp. Upon searching online it appears as though several people have had this same problem.

- Dover Plains, NY, USA

Nov 252012

Aveo 4-cyl

I have been reading all the complaints on the same problem with the light going out on the dashboard and the shift gear light as well at the same time all the fuses have been checked there all good so with all the complaints I have read there should be a recall on this some people dash even started a fire come on Chevy people do a recall.

- Bellflower, CA, USA

Oct 222012

Aveo

My 2006 Chevy Aveo hatchback was sitting parked in my driveway and had not been turned on in the last 12 hours. My dogs started to bark, and that is when I noticed my car alarm was going off, very quietly. I went outside to see what was going on and that is when I noticed my car was filled with smoke and that it was coming out of my air vents as well. However the engine was not on fire, nor was it effected. I tried immediately to unlock my car, but my locks had gone out, so I had to use my key and manually unlock the doors. It was once the smoked cleared I could see my dash was completely melted in where my air vents and clock once were. It does not appear that it hurt the cd player directly below it however. My windows are ruined by the smoke as well and they are darkened where the "fire" started. Prior to this day my battery has gone dead twice, but there was not warning signs that anything was wrong. I never received a check engine light or anything of the sort. It never showed any problems operating other than the two dead batteries.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Mar 012012

Aveo 4-cyl

My daughter was driving to the store when she smelled smoke. She had some things on the passenger side floor and noticed smoke coming out. She pulled into a parking lot and got out of the car with flames coming up from around the front console of the dash board. The police arrived and were able to put out the fire just before the firemen arrived. She only lost her cell phone which was laying between the seats and a few things were ruined from the fire retardant.

- Tulsa, OK, USA