2006 Chevrolet Aveo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Aveo:

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 292016

In fear of a fire in my Aveo!

- Asheville, NC, USA

Aug 232016

Update on previous claim #10898024 left side tail light is out and left head light. This is all from the main connector in fuse box under the hood of car.

- Conley, GA, USA

Jul 102016

About 6 weeks ago smelled something burning. Prior to burning smell, the daytime running lights all inside dash lights and clock lights and gear shift lights went out while car was in motion on a major city street. All lights stayed off for about 20 mins. Daytime running ligts never came back on. Clock lights still goes off an on. Dash lights and gear shift lights came back on once. But have been off a month now. Reported to GM. Recall on daytime running lights fixed free. But they said no recall on wiring of lights. I am not the only owner that has thos problem there are many who have written complaiys on GM. Recall website. I have pictures of burnt fuse connector relay that controls all lights. 10 mins of mechanic checking the part was so hot he couldn't touch it. On 8/09/2016 terry cullen fixed recall. I payed them $100 to check problem about lights they said they needed $400 more dollars for 4 hours of more looking. My family mechanic found problem with in 10 mins...... dealer.. all about money! I think they should have saw the problem or even knew it.

- Conley, GA, USA

Jul 312016

Dash and shifter lights went out and came back on and eventually went out completely- would not come on upon startup. Some front and rear lights as well. Blinkers & flashers still work. Have checked all fuses and bulbs. Needs electrical repair.

- Peculiar, MO, USA

Feb 102016

On a winter morning I went out and started my car to go to work, I got on the road and realized that my dashboard, heating control, and shifter lights did not work. I moved the settings switch and nothing came on. I have checked the fuses. They are fine. I did some research and it seems that many Aveos have had this problem. And the only fix is to rewire the system. Something needs to be done. If I take it to the shop it's going to cost anywhere between 50-100 dollars or more. If its a problem to the consumers then it should be a recall and not just a manufacturing defect. If this is a wiring issue then it could possibly end up causing a fire.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Aug 062015

The same time the recall for daytime running lights module came my daytime running lights indicator started flashing and my airbag light came on. I took it to dealer to fix daytime running lights module, I also had airbag light check and they said the wiring harness melted and it cost me over $300 to fix. Is this connected to daytime running light module problem? if so I would like my money back! let me know please.

- Clinton, CT, USA

Oct 202014

My key was stuck in the ignition between the "accessory" setting and having the car running. I googled the problem; recommended fix was to remove fuse for radio, so I did. I was able to remove keys from ignition but when I was ready to leave again I could not shift out of 'park.' I put the radio fuse back in, and my gearshift & transmission work perfectly. Every time I get out of my car I have to pull the radio fuse out, remove my keys, then install the radio fuse again so that I can get out of 'park' when I need to drive later.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jan 172015

My Aveo has had a burning electrical smell in the cab for approximately 2 years. A recall was issued 8 months ago and nothing has been done. GM states that the remedy not yet available. Since the recall the daytime running lights have stopped working all together and the electrical smell has gotten worse. This car has been plagued by electrical issues and I do believe they are all related. I really don't feel safe driving this car everywhere with my family in it due to the risk of it catching fire. GM refuses to give me any answers on this except that the remedy is in development. I think 8 months of waiting is long enough. The car also has issues with the airbag, radio, horn, security system, and headlights. All of which run through the same wiring harness.

- Centralia, IL, USA

Dec 022014

Aveo 4-cyl

S101 splicer pack overheats and burnt wiring under the hood causing tail light to not work.

- Bristol, NH, USA

Dec 292014

Aveo 4-cyl

Dash lights did not turn on when the headlights were turned on. Also, running lights did not turn on after my headlights were turned on (front and rear right). Left rear turn signal does not work. I was told by a mechanic this was due to the splice pack melting. He also informed me this was a known issue with Chevrolet Aveo's. this should be a manufacturers issue and not the owners if it is a known hazardous issue.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Dec 262014

2006 Chevrolet Aveo, have had recall notice for several months. Have heard nothing new, drl fail regularly as well as passenger side running lights and dashboard lights. Has been going on for years, several mechanics have been able to make slight modifications that fix it temporarily. Aveo owners need a permanent fix immediately.

- Wicomico, VA, USA

Dec 022014

Aveo 4-cyl

The front signal light on the driver's side stopped working, so I purchased a bulb and when my son went to replace it, it was working. About two weeks later, I went to start the car and the battery was dead. The battery was charged and it worked the next day. The windshield wiper fluid motor did not work for about two years, but recently, it started working again. This sounds like an electrical problem. I have received a recall notice for the drl, but they do not have the part.

- Lomita, CA, USA

Jul 252014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that burning electrical fumes were present inside the vehicle and the daytime running lamps flickered on and off. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V261000 (exterior lighting: Headlights); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Sep 292014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Aveo. While driving approximately 38 mph, the contact smelled a burning odor and the instrument panel flickered. The contact noticed smoke under the hood and discovered that all the components under the hood had caught fire and were burned. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V261000 (exterior lighting, electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000.

- Black River, NY, USA

Feb 182014

Aveo 4-cyl

Burnt plastic smell inside the vehicle. Front of dashboard and steering column producing excessive heat. Hot to touch and the ignition key is hot.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Sep 092011

Aveo 4-cyl

At a stop the car was put in park, ignition switch turned off and the key would not come out. Started the car again and could not move the shifter out of park. Vehicle was taken to the dealership. Ignition lock module was not sending signal. It was not grounding out as designed. Module was replaced. There was still no change in resolving the problem. Tested shifter and found internal failure of module. The entire shifter module and assembly was replaced.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Aug 012014

Aveo 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Aveo. Consumer writes in regards to headlamp switch recall notice. The recall notice the consumer received, stated the parts were not available. Also, the consumer stated the ignition switch felt warm and the engine light illuminated.

- Burlingame, CA, USA

Aug 022014

Aveo 4-cyl

I was driving down the hwy about 60 mph and tried to push the gas but all it did was sputter and slowdown. Had to pull over and see what was wrong. Cod not find anything so I started it up again and the same thing. It just sputters. So I drove to a service station (very slowly) that I just had my oil change the previous day thinking they may have done something. After they checked it, they said it was nothing related to them but that they hooked it up to a machine and it was reading 11 different types of censors causing it to misfire. They had just had in a 2007 Chevy cobalt doing the same thing that there was a recall on. Wondering if the recall for the 2006 Aveo for the drl would cause these problems?! they service tech mentioned more than likely it is not 11 censors but just 1or 2 affecting the others read on the machine.

- Owasso, OK, USA

Jul 012014

Aveo 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Aveo. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle multiple mechanical and electrical problems. The consumer stated she experienced multiple mechanical and electrical problems with the vehicle. It was not disclosed to her, that the vehicle had frame damage, it was a fleet vehicle, and the air bags were replaced with used ones. While driving 45 mph, a bolt in the broke, which caused the engine to collapse and landed on the axle, breaking it on the driver's side. Also, she had the axle replaced previously, not knowing there was a problem with the frame. Due to the frame damage and warped undercarriage, a bolt connected to the frame that was connected to the motor mount hidden under the engine had previously bent and severed 3/4 of the way through the bolt. It went un-detected and her mechanic didn't know what to look for, since the frame was not disclosed.

- Selma, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Aveo 4-cyl

2006 Chevy Aveo I got my daughter this car it seemed to be great when we first got Aveo last year we had to replace the brake switch. There wiring issues air bag lights on and clock comes on and off this year odometer mileage is fading and headlights on no light for mileage. Low fuel and low water does not come on and on the 7/1 and two times on 7/4 her speedometer is not reading right it read 15 miles off from what the car is going faster. The three times getting pulled over and she said the gauge been acting weird then goes back to normal the one cop said I know thats why I don't have one of these cars and still gave her a ticket. So now the car sits until the recall but the best thing ( not ) I have two Aveos my husbands that sit and we get to share between the three of us is my van that's a Dodge. I cant believe wiring heating up by the day time module that will catch fire and it taking this long safety and Chevy has nothing on there site for the recall wow.

- Uhrichsville, OH, USA