2008 Chevrolet Aveo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Aveo:

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 212016

• 8,700,000 miles

When using the cigarette lighter the fuse was blown on the radio. Now the delearship is asking for $120 just to give us the code.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 242016

Went to change the passenger side front headlamp bulb since it was showing high beams on and was dimmed. Turns out the wiring harness the bulb plugs into was melted. According to the local dealership my VIN has no recalls on it but in doing some research it sounds very familiar to recall #14236.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Sep 252015

Since, I obtained the vehicle from phone# 909-379-3256 go=motors christopher in hemet, ca. It has had problems. 1) no ac, 2)problems with starter & starting vehicle, took it back and 3) forth to dealer4X problem never resolved took it to another dealer friend 4)who repaired and charged me $1500, 5) as of 3/31/16 there has been a loud rattling in the engine, I had the oil charged and the mechanic @ walmart said it 6) sounds like a timing-belt or water/fluid pump rattling, and be careful it doesn't blow. So, the vehicle is setting in our driveway. Your move on resolution. Please inform, next move, I do not want to keep making payments for a lemon of a vehicle? I enjoy driving such an economical vehicle, but!!! 7) I have a loan with premier auto credit, artura caldas 818-933-4966.

- Wildomar, CA, USA

Nov 052015

My airbags did not deploy when I hit a deer in 2013. Now my wiring that comes from engine compartment that controls my window lock and power windows is shorting out. My neighbor has a 2007 Chevy Colorado has gotten a recall on his due to same reason.

- Kokomo, IN, USA

Sep 042015

The driver side head lamp is not working properly. The wire lighting harness kept shorting out, I had it repaired at a shop. It later melted and the light went out. I tried to order another on, but the dealership only sells the whole kit not just the light bulb itself. I am having to pay over $300 for a new kit when all I needed was a bulb and the harness. This is insane, especially when there have been recalls for this very same problem. I also had an electrical problem where my car battery would drain, and lose power.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 162009

I purchased this vehicle brand new. The first winter I had it, the throttle body seized leaving the throttle open and the engine racing - the car has a manual transmission, therefore I was able to depress the clutch and pull it over. The local Chevrolet dealer in circleville, oh performed a technical service bulletin on the car, rerouting the egr system & removing some parts around the throttle body. On subsequent events, the car experienced severe loss of power and surges. The throttle body was replaced. The problem occurred again with the same trouble code being set. The car is now on its third throttle body (tps sensor cannot be replaced separately) this model year has a throttle-by-wire engine control system. My car still suffers from an intermittent engine trouble codes related to the throttle body and surging problems. Finally, the manual transmission broke its internal shifting mechanism and the car locked itself in gear. At the same time, the clutch did not seem to function. I am afraid to drive with family members in this car.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jun 282015

I was driving on the highway on my way home from 3 hours away, and I was about an hour and 30 min from home. I stopped at mcdonald S to feed the 3 kids, I was there for 35 min with the car off. Not even 10 min later, back on the highway, the car sort of spit and/or sputtered. I thought maybe I had gotten some bad gas because it only did it about 3 times and it was ok, there were no lights on indicating anything was wrong. Just a couple minutes later it did it spit and/or sputtered 2 more times, still no light indicators had come on and I looked down at the gauges I had 6/8ths tank of gas, almost full. The engine temp was reading hot though, but no lights were on, suddenly we were going up a slight incline but the car would not go faster, in-fact it was actually slowing down and it would no longer switch to a higher gear. As soon as the highway leveled off, I put the car in neutral to give the engine a brake until we reached the next gas station, but as soon as it hit neutral the car shut off and was coasting. I had to pull over as quick as I could. When someone finally stopped to help, we found a tiny hole in a hose, we cut the hose, readjusted it but it still wouldn't start, after 3 jumps it still wouldn't start. We were stranded for over 4 hours, and the battery finally completely died out as our ride had just gotten there. There was absolutely no warning for the break down, not even a check engine light had came on. Because of this me 3 kids all 5 years old and under, and my aunt who is deathly afraid of semi's were stranded on the side of a highway for over 4 hours!

- Toronto, OH, USA

Feb 132015

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, the vehicle lost power. In addition, the contact noticed smoke coming from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the catalytic converter, the ignition coil, and the oxygen sensors needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 39,500.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Jan 032015

Aveo 4-cyl

I was driving on high way radio shut off and dash lights flickered. Then it was fine then I go and turn car on dashlights not on and car wont come out of park. Also headlights keep blowing out.

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

Oct 232014

Aveo 4-cyl

I own a 2008 Chevy Aveo, it has 29,000 miles which was purchased in New Jersey. The vehicle was shipped to egypt, and have been experiencing the following problems: 1. air bag light in always on 2. cruise control is not working 3. clock light is off and on intermittently I took the vehicle to an authorized dealer in hurghada, egypt. They were unable to service the vehicle. I have no incident.

- Linden, NJ, USA

Sep 222014

It started out as a dim headlight on my 08 Chevy Aveo, so I went and bought a new headlight for it thinking that is was burnt out or getting close to it. At times the dimmed light was stuck on highbeam and then the highbeam would stay on, other times it just looked dimmer/burnt out from the other one. I took the three bolts off of the left headlamp and disconnected the power plug, I found out that the connector that plugs into the light bulb was melted/burnt looking. It also had a strong odor or what to me smelled like burnt rubber. I had decided to take the melted bulb out and discard it. The new one I did not put in, because I did not want it to have the same thing happen to it. So for the time being it is disconnected and laying by the battery area. I did look online and my vehicle is on a recall for something dealing with the lighting area. As of now October 14th it is still disconnected from the main headlight in fear of it melting and perhaps causing a fire to the car. I have contacted my local Chevy dealer where the car was purchased from and no one seems to have any idea about it, but yet its recalled as of May 2014 from what I have found out.

- Sheboygan Falls, WI, USA

Jul 012014

Aveo 4-cyl

The ignition switch gets hot when driving more than 30 miles and the fan motor for ac and heat does not turn on.

- South Holland, IL, USA

Jul 152014

Aveo 4-cyl

The air bag indicator light came on and has stayed on constantly. According to the owner's manual, this could indicate a problem with the airbag not deploying when it should, or possibly deploying when not needed. This seems to be an occurring problems on several makes and models I have seen on the news, all with recalls issued, and yet, Chevy and GM have not issued a recall for this. Several other complaints have been reported about this issue. This is clearly a safety issue that needs to be addressed on my vehicle, as well as others. What will it take before Chevy and GM decide to recall and fix this problem with the airbags, as this appears to be a very serious, and potentially harmful, if not fatal, potential problem.

- Plano, TX, USA

Apr 142013

Aveo 4-cyl

I have a 2008 Aveo that I purchased from a Chevrolet dealership in russellville, ky. Since the 2nd day I owned it, it has been nothing but problems. Air bag sensors not working, have had this repaired three times. Yesterday the air bag light came on again. My biggest trouble has been with the throttle position sensor. Get a P2135 code that tells you to replace the entire throttle body. I did this ($300 part) did no good. The car has been in the shop for over 7 months in the 15 months I've owned the car. Computer has been "flashed" numerous times. Didn't work. GM customer care asked me to take the car to and authorized Chevrolet repair shop. I did. After 2 trips there and a total of 6 weeks in the shop, they tell me they think the problem is with the ECM engine control module. This part has an 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty. I bought the car with 76,000 mile on it. The problem has been documented by the Chevy dealership I purchased the car from for many thousands of miles prior to me purchasing the car. GM refused to honor the warranty because the car now has 82,000 miles. This is the thing that gets me. When I bought this car, they knew I was buying it for a daughter in college. They knew the car had these problems and sold it to me anyways. I had to purchase another car for my daughter. I am currently driving the Aveo to and from work. The lights that are currently "on" are the check engine light, the air bag light, and I can not allow a passenger in the car because, when they sit in the passenger seat the air bag light that indicates that the passenger side air bag is now engaged does not go off.

- Russellville, KY, USA

Jul 212014

Aveo 4-cyl

On July 21, 2014 at about 7:45 in the morning, my wife who was going to church went to the garage to use the Aveo. When she opened the door, she was met with dark smoke and smell of burned plastic. Then she saw the middle of the dashboard burned creating a big hole. Then I had the Aveo towed to the charles clark Chevrolet where I bought the Aveo for them to see. Then I went home and passing by the mailbox I got the mail and saw an envelope from General Motors. When I opened the envelope, I saw the letter of the recall of the Aveo due to the defective headlamp switch or daytime running lamp which generate heat which could melt headlamp switch and drl module causing fire. That was what happened to the Aveo. So I called GM and told them what happened. Then after several days of calls and an inspection by their engineers, I was told that the damage was beyond repair and they will pay a little over $4,000 because they will not repair the Aveo. I told them I do not agree because the Aveo was in good condition at seven years old, less than 16,000 mileage, the tires were still the original tires when bought and had never been brought to a repair shop. So I told them to repair the Aveo to its condition before the fire. I could not believe they cannot repair when they can create a new car. The recall was a safety-related defect and my wife was lucky she was not in the car when the fire happened. If the car was not burned, it would still be good for another seven years. With GM's proposal, my wife and I will incur a debt to get another car and when she retires as a nurse supervisor at Texas state veterans home in two or three years, we will be burdened with a loan past our retirement. My wife is 72 years old now. We don't want that to happen. The consumer was informed, the parts were not available. Updated 09/24/14. Updated 03/04/15.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Jun 132014

Aveo 4-cyl

My car has been having numerous airbag issues and electrical problems. The first issue with my airbags happened last year around this time. I took car to Chevy service center and they told me they had to replace whole frontal airbag senor and other systems. In may of this year airbag light came on again. Took car to Chevy service center and there were numerous fault codes particularly the passenger side airbag sensor. They told me that they believe there is a malfunction in the system but they were suggesting I replace the passenger airbag sensor. I asked GM to do a full system check on my airbag system but they refused. I could not afford the repairs so I did not have the issue fix. Also, I was not convinced that it would have solved the problem because they were not 100% sure since there were numerous fault codes. The next issue is hard to describe but when I am driving my car jerks and shakes and almost shuts down and starts back up at the same time. This happens whether I am standing by a light or fully in drive mode. I took car to shop but they could not diagnose issue because check engine light is not on and it does not happen all the time. Only when I drive my car for more than an 30 minutes to an hour.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Jul 182012

Aveo 4-cyl

On the Chevy Aveo, all model years, the park lock sitch, that also makes the brake lights work, sometimes doesn't function. This makes it impossible to shift out of park when the brake pedal is depressed, also the brake lights don't come on. Therefore, when driving the brake lights sometimes don't work, which is a very dangerous situation.

- Coatesville, PA, USA

Jun 012014

Aveo 4-cyl

Air bag light came on and stayed on., dashboard clock and cd radio also went out. The Chevrolet servicing dealer suggested that the service codes reflected a short in wiring and the dashboard has to be removed to check the wire harness for the short. They wanted to charge me $315, manager continued to state also the sensor module for the airbag may be defective. Why do they charge for diagnosis when their diagnosis measures cannot find the problem and want to charge another $315 for further diagnosis?I with the I've checked with other Aveo owners and some have the same exact problem. I do believe there is a fault with this car. I do not know if the airbags will deploy if their is an accident with this car.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Feb 032014

Aveo 4-cyl

My grandmother has sought help because here key gets extremely hot. Her gear shifter locks up and she cant move it. The air bag light pops on and wont go off. Also she has asked multiple times at various dealers etc, about it and they tell her there are no recalls or anything known. We know their are problems with the daytime running light module but nobody seems to have any information on this... as I said this is for my grandmother.

- Booneville, MS, USA

Jul 022014

Air bag light came on and stayed on. Upon inspection at dealership it was suggested that the clock and wiring from the airbag component to the clock be replaced to fix a sensor malfunction issue. Warned that if issue was not fixed, it was possible that the airbag would fail to deploy in the case of an accident.

- Kansas City, MO, USA