2008 Chevrolet Aveo lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Aveo:

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 262016

Aveo

The key comes out of the ignition even while the car is running and driving. I drove the car and thought I turned it off all the way - turns out there was another 'click' to turn the engine completely off. Engine also clicks after being turned off. Headlights went out, replaced bulbs only to realize the connectors were melted, bulbs being blown are not the cause of this issue. After doing research into the problem I came across recalls for this year, make model I came across a recall from 2014 (documents on this site) that said all 2008 Chevy Aveo's were affected. I purchased the car from a used car dealership in may, 2014 - I don't believe this car should have been sold given the issues and recall notices out at the time. I only found out this week (Sept 2016) about the issues. However when calling GM and a Chevy dealership I was told there are no open recalls on this vehicle even though the issue can cause fires. This is a problem! the car goes into bryner Chevrolet tomorrow Sept 29, 2016 for a service appointment.

- Willow Grove, PA, USA

Aug 012016

My lights want go off

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Apr 092016

Aveo

Was driving smelling smoke like something burning, every other day I didn't known what it was until the front driver headlight not out but dim my son was about to remove it the bulb and found that the wires going to the socket is burned it wasn't the bulb it could have caught fire and burn the hold car a fire!

- Savannah, GA, USA

Dec 012015

Aveo

Air bag (red light) light stays on. Also headlights plastic mounts, where the bolts go in to hold headlights in place, are deterated, headlights B bhearly holding on.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Apr 232015

Aveo

I was rear ended and it was not a bad accident but needed a bumper and I noticed that after this happened my airbag sensor light came on. When we took the vehicle in for repair I told the technician that I was more concerned about the airbag sensor light then the bumper. They said they would look at it. When we picked up our vehicle they said they looked at the airbag light sensor and reset it. Now 6 months later the light is back on. I took it back and they suggested I check on the internet for any recalls. I did not see any. Can you suggest anything. I feel that they did not really properly check out the sensor light or to make sure the airbag is ok.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 012015

Aveo

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo. After driving the vehicle for prolonged periods of time, fumes emitted from the front of the vehicle. When the contact opened the hood, smoke appeared. The contact sustained injuries that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V261000 (exterior lighting). The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Elberton, GA, USA

Apr 012015

Aveo

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that the plugs to the headlights burned out without warning. The contact replaced the headlight plugs four times. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Omaha, AR, USA

Sep 042015

Aveo

The driver side head lamp is not working properly. The wire lighting harness kept shorting out, I had it repaired at a shop. It later melted and the light went out. I tried to order another on, but the dealership only sells the whole kit not just the light bulb itself. I am having to pay over $300 for a new kit when all I needed was a bulb and the harness. This is insane, especially when there have been recalls for this very same problem. I also had an electrical problem where my car battery would drain, and lose power.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 022015

Aveo 4-cyl

2008 Chevrolet Aveo. Consumer writes in regards to parts not available to complete recall notice 14V-261.

- Avon, MN, USA

May 232014

Aveo

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo. While driving approximately 40 mph at night, the headlights became inoperable without warning. In addition, the contact stated that there was smoke emitting under the hood and into the vehicle. As a result, the contact discovered that the headlight plug and wiring were melted. The failure recurred three times. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V261000 (exterior lighting); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Palacios, TX, USA

Mar 122015

Aveo 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V261000 (exterior lighting); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 4/20/15

- Tampa, FL, USA

Mar 052015

Aveo 4-cyl

My dash board lights, my passenger rear blinker light, passenger read break light, and front passenger running light all went out. Fuses were checked and the recall relay switch was replaced but the lights are still out. I smell hot electrical when they went out. The lights were acting weird for a couple weeks. They wouldn't turn on then would when I was driving or they would shut off while I was driving. Now I have nothing.

- Amherst, WI, USA

Feb 072015

Aveo

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number:14V261000 (exterior lighting) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Stone Ridge, NY, USA

Jan 032015

Aveo 4-cyl

I was driving on high way radio shut off and dash lights flickered. Then it was fine then I go and turn car on dashlights not on and car wont come out of park. Also headlights keep blowing out.

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

Dec 012014

Aveo

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V261000 (exterior lighting) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was unavaiable.

- Ironvale, AL, USA

Nov 192014

Aveo

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V261000 (exterior lighting) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to inform when the part would become available. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Clear Spring , MD, USA

Sep 222014

Aveo

It started out as a dim headlight on my 08 Chevy Aveo, so I went and bought a new headlight for it thinking that is was burnt out or getting close to it. At times the dimmed light was stuck on highbeam and then the highbeam would stay on, other times it just looked dimmer/burnt out from the other one. I took the three bolts off of the left headlamp and disconnected the power plug, I found out that the connector that plugs into the light bulb was melted/burnt looking. It also had a strong odor or what to me smelled like burnt rubber. I had decided to take the melted bulb out and discard it. The new one I did not put in, because I did not want it to have the same thing happen to it. So for the time being it is disconnected and laying by the battery area. I did look online and my vehicle is on a recall for something dealing with the lighting area. As of now October 14th it is still disconnected from the main headlight in fear of it melting and perhaps causing a fire to the car. I have contacted my local Chevy dealer where the car was purchased from and no one seems to have any idea about it, but yet its recalled as of May 2014 from what I have found out.

- Sheboygan Falls, WI, USA

Jul 212014

Aveo 4-cyl

On July 21, 2014 at about 7:45 in the morning, my wife who was going to church went to the garage to use the Aveo. When she opened the door, she was met with dark smoke and smell of burned plastic. Then she saw the middle of the dashboard burned creating a big hole. Then I had the Aveo towed to the charles clark Chevrolet where I bought the Aveo for them to see. Then I went home and passing by the mailbox I got the mail and saw an envelope from General Motors. When I opened the envelope, I saw the letter of the recall of the Aveo due to the defective headlamp switch or daytime running lamp which generate heat which could melt headlamp switch and drl module causing fire. That was what happened to the Aveo. So I called GM and told them what happened. Then after several days of calls and an inspection by their engineers, I was told that the damage was beyond repair and they will pay a little over $4,000 because they will not repair the Aveo. I told them I do not agree because the Aveo was in good condition at seven years old, less than 16,000 mileage, the tires were still the original tires when bought and had never been brought to a repair shop. So I told them to repair the Aveo to its condition before the fire. I could not believe they cannot repair when they can create a new car. The recall was a safety-related defect and my wife was lucky she was not in the car when the fire happened. If the car was not burned, it would still be good for another seven years. With GM's proposal, my wife and I will incur a debt to get another car and when she retires as a nurse supervisor at Texas state veterans home in two or three years, we will be burdened with a loan past our retirement. My wife is 72 years old now. We don't want that to happen. The consumer was informed, the parts were not available. Updated 09/24/14. Updated 03/04/15.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

May 212014

Aveo 4-cyl

I received NHTSA campaign number 14V26 in my email messages. I registered to receive them. I am not sure if the message was for an individual car or all cars involved. The message stated that 218,000 cars were involved. I gave the customer service representative the last 8 digits of my VIN. I am confused. My car is one of the cars involved. Why wasn't recalled? I have enclosed a copy of notice 14236. Report receipt date: May 19, 2014 NHTSA campaign number: 14V261000 component(s): Potential number of units affected: 218,000 all products associated with this recall details 2 associated documents manufacturer: General Motors llc summary: General Motors is recalling certain model year 2004-2008 Chevrolet Aveo vehicles equipped with daytime running lights (drl). In the affected vehicles, there may be heat generated within the drl module located in the center console in the instrument panel, which could melt the drl module. Consequence: If the drl module melts due to the heat generation, it could cause a vehicle fire. Remedy: The remedy for this recall campaign is still under development. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact General Motors customer service at 1-800-222-1020 (Chevrolet). General Motors recall number for this campaign is 14236. I am confused. If I made a mistake explan the procedure. Is a recall for an individual car or all cars that are in the recall?

- Chicago Heights, IL, USA

May 012014

Aveo

Second time that the headlights went out while I was driving at night. Car smells like something is burning.

- Beaver Falls , PA, USA