2008 Chevrolet Aveo seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Aveo:

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Feb 022012

Aveo 4-cyl

I was traveling SE on entrance road. A car was stopped on my left on jean chapel road. The driver unexpectedly pulled directly in front of me creating an unavoidable crash situation. I pumped my brakes heavily and attempted to swerve to miss the vehicle but do to wet road conditions and my speed (5mph under the limit), I could not avoid slamming into the passenger side of her vehicle. The passenger in the other car received ambulance recovery. The driver was obviously stunned and received medical attention. My air bags did not deploy, and I subsequently received direct steering wheel and windshield contact. First failure at approximately 25,000 miles, passenger warning airbag malfunction.

- Deridder, LA, USA

Sep 012009

Aveo

Was driving down the highway, and the red airbag malfunction light came on. I pulled over, shut off the car and restarted it, the light turned off, stayed off for about 30 mins, and then came back on, and is now on steady every time the car is running. I have also had problems with the sensor in the passenger seat not registering a passenger sitting in the seat, and the passenger airbag off light stays on.

- Davison, MI, USA

Nov 292009

Aveo

My sister recently cut her hand when she grabbed the inside door handle on my 2008 Chevrolet Aveo. When we looked closer at the handle, it appears to be separating at the top joined seams. It has a very sharp edge to it similar to the lid of a pull top can. I don't Transport many people so I was not aware of it's condition. I'm glad that the incident did not involve a child because they could have sustained a serious cut. I have not had any wrecks or damage to my car to result in the door handle separating. I fell this is a serious enough situation to warrant reporting. I've also had problems with the airbag light consistently malfunctioning. It's been supposedly fixed twice..but it still malfunctions.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 282009

Aveo

We helped our daughter, who is in college, purchase her first automobile. We went to autoworld in petaluma, specifically petaluma Hyundai (owned by autoworld). This means, if you walk into Hyundai, it doesn't really mean anything because the salesperson can sell you a car from any of their other dealerships. In our case, we were sold 2008 Chevrolet Aveo, which was previously a rental car with factory warranty still left on it. We bought an extended warranty, as we explained to our salesperson; that since our daughter was in college, and working part time, she could afford her payment, normal maintenance/ vehicle costs; however, she needed to have coverage for major repair problems if they arose. Unfortunately, the airbag computer system is having problems for the second time now and victory Chevrolet says the cost to repair is $2,600. Ok, the extended warranty should cover that, right" no. Apparently, the warranty we were sold doesn't cover airbags. Victory Chevrolet contacted the factory district service manager to ask for assistance, since the vehicle was so new and it was only due to the fact, that the car had exceed the 36,000 mile factory warranty. Chevrolet told victory that it would have been possible if we were the first buyers, but since we were the second owners they would not help. So then the question is; is it a product warranty? or, is it a buyer warranty" we were told it is a product warranty. We did a check on the NHTSA web site and according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration; there have been numerous problems with the airbag system of this make and model over numerous years. It would appear that Chevrolet is well aware of the problem; however, the company is taking a minimalist approach to the problem, in the hope the warranty expires; so the burden will fall to the vehicle owners. Nor, has the dealership's management really made any good faith effort strong assertions to Chevrolet on our behalf.

- Forestville, CA, USA

Dec 122008

Aveo

My granddaughter was involved in an mvc in Florida. She was exiting on an interstate ramp and failed to leave room for another stopped vehicle resulting in a front end/rear end crash. The air bags failed to deploy and her seat belt did not fully restrain her, resulting a fractured sternum (3 places). She as been recovering ever since and neither the auto repair shop nor the Chevrolet dealer has been able or willing to find out why these systems failed.

- Harlem, MT, USA

May 162008

Aveo

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that fumes leaked into the vehicle and he noticed moisture on all the windows. He activated the defroster, but the moisture remained. The dealer wiped black soot off of the interior windows and stated that the failure may have something to do with the environment, instead of being a manufacturer's defect. The manufacturer agreed with the dealer's environmental theory. The vehicle was also taken to the dealer twice because the air pressure sensor light was illuminating. The tires were filled with nitrogen, but the sensor light continued to illuminate. The contact was advised to keep restarting the engine so that the module would reset itself. When his wife was seated in the passenger seat, the air bag light also continued to illuminate. The current mileage was 1,937 and failure mileage was approximately 550.

- Grove Town , GA, USA