2011 Chevrolet Aveo drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Aveo:

2011 Chevrolet Aveo Owner Comments

Jul 252016

This Aveo has only 7,552 miles and when accelerated to pull out it has no power.when you do get out in road it only goes 15-20 mpg even when acceleration is to the floor.I had to pull over to the side of road-turned it off and restarted then drove it about 2 miles and it did it again-very dangerous-unsafe-hope someone looks into this.

- Spruce Pine, NC, USA

Apr 282016

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Aveo. While driving 45 mph, the speedometer displayed incorrect information. In addition, when the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle jerked before accelerating and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to two independent mechanics where it was diagnosed that radiator fluid contaminated the transmission. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the radiator, transmission, and trans lines needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 86,000. Updated 07/12/16

- Davison, MI, USA

Nov 012015

So as I'm driving (in motion) whether it be 30 mph or 70 mph my car dies out. Does not shut off, but I do not have any acceleration. I have to immediately pull over because I cannot move. I spoke to mechanics and they are saying it is the throttle body. As I research this, there has been so many complaints regarding this against GM and nothing not one thing has been done. Do they not understand that as your driving 70 mph and then have no control of speed in the passing lane or regular lane that you can get killed my another car? if you go under Chevrolet you can see complaints about this. I asked if this was under warranty and it is not. It is not part of the power train. Yet GM knows there is a defective part and they are just not willing to fix it. They will wait til someone dies first and then fix it. I am filing a complaint regarding the throttle for it is just not my car for I have researched how many cars this has happened to, and knowing that GM knows about this indicated on complaints to GM this needs to be fixed for safety reasons. If something was to happen while I was driving my grandchildren around or when my daughter drives the car I will never forgive GM. Especially where they know about this part. Now I put this as of 11/1/15 but that is not the only time it's been ongoing since then. I am very worried to drive this car, yet it is very expensive to have this fix and it is not under a $2,000 warranty insurance I purchased when I bought this car. April 2014 is when I bought this used car and have had it towed 2X already and engine lights on 2X had to have repaired. So thinking there has to be recalls on this car and nothing is being shown.

- Bradford, NH, USA

Sep 282015

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Aveo. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle shook violently and caused the rear passenger tire to blow out. In addition, the tire pressure warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the sensor needed to be replaced and the transmission mount needed to be repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 77,350.

- Jaksonville, FL, USA

Aug 012014

Aveo 4-cyl

My daughter brought a 2011 Chevy Aveo in Wisconsin. When she came back home there were several occasions that I used her car. The first time I drove her car I drove it to work. While I was driving at 55 mph the car jerked very hard to the left. I had to really hold the steering wheel harder than usual to gain control of the car. I called my daughter and asked her about the car jerking towards incoming traffic. My daughter stated that the car did jerk sometimes. I told my daughter to go get the car checked out. I told her to have them check the jerking out and why the car was wearing out tires so fast. My daughter had the car checked and she was told her car couldn't be aligned. My mom, my other daughter, her father, step father and myself drove the car at different times and it jerked while each of us drove it. Unfortunately, my daughter lost her life in an accident in that same Chevy Aveo in 2014. I was told to come to the hospital because there was an accident on August 1 at 11:45. When I arrived at the hospital the coroner and the state trooper met me in a waiting room. They explained to me that my daughter passed away in the car accident she was involved in. She had crossed over the median line and on the shoulder. She tried to correct herself and get back in her lane and was hit on the driver side and killed instantly. When they told me that I knew that the car had jerked on her again and this time cost my daughter her life. Yes, it was foggy and damp from the rain that evening. The police stated that a tire was slick and the road was wet. I was very glad that she was talking to her friend that night. Her friend was the one who called the police when she heard my daughter scream an the line went dead. I just want someone to know that something was wrong with that car. I looked online and found people who had the same problem with their Aveo's as well....updated 02/11/15

- Bladenboro, NC, USA

Apr 102013

Aveo 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that after having the spark plugs replaced, the engine begin to malfunction while driving 70 mph. The vehicle would not shift out of first gear and an egg smell entered the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test however, the dealer could not identify the defect of the engine. The dealer repaired the heater blower but that did not remedy the defect. The failure mileage was 41,699. Updated 12/30/13

- Atoka, OK, USA

May 232012

Aveo 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced difficulty hesitating from a stop. The vehicle would momentarily hesitate before rapidly accelerating. The failure recurred intermittently. The contact also stated that the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel and stalled on a few occasions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on four occasions, but they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 8,000. The consumer stated the vehicle has been replaced by the dealership after being stuck in second gear and experiencing catastrophic transmission failure. The ECU, tcu, and F module were all replaced and did not solve the issue. Updated 08/16/2012

- Buchanan, VA, USA