1998 Chevrolet Blazer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chevrolet Blazer:

1998 Chevrolet Blazer Owner Comments

Jul 252016

Blazer

The contact owns a 1998 Chevrolet Blazer. While driving with the cruise control activated at 50 mph, the contact depressed the brake pedal, but the vehicle failed to stop. Instead, the vehicle accelerated on its own. The contact coasted the vehicle to the side of the road, turned off the engine, and restarted the vehicle. In addition, while the vehicle was in park, it unintentionally accelerated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000. The VIN was not available.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Mar 032012

Blazer 6-cyl

When applied the brakes there is some roughness under the vehicle brakes has been changed and some time getting jammed.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Aug 112006

Blazer 4WD 6-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicles throttle butterfly fractured off and locked the throttle open, which prevented the vehicle from slowing down. The vehicle was stopped in a parking lot and was not taken to a dealer.

- Auburn, WA, USA

Jan 012002

Blazer 4WD 6-cyl

The throttle, on my 1998 Blazer, sticks when first depressed and then engages, with the throttle partially open, so the vehicle lunges forward. A local repair shop told me cheverlot issued a letter telling all repair shops about this problem as it happens on all of these vehicles all the time when starting from a dead stop. I have contacted cheverlot several times and offered to fix the problem myself if they would tell me what to do but they refuse. They tell me to take it to a GM service center, which I did, and was told it will cost $65 and the repair will not be permanent. My concern is someone will be injured when one of these Blazer or S10 vehicles lurches forward in a parking lot. Please tell me what I should do.

- Galena, MO, USA

Nov 042002

Blazer 4WD 6-cyl

Wipers do not work at times, turn signal switch not working, engine idles rough, loud sound during acceleration, front end loose.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Jul 022003

Blazer 4WD 6-cyl

Throttle stuck half open while getting on freeway. Found a piece of the throttle body butterfly had broken and fallen in the way so that the butterfly could not close. Looks like a design defect.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jan 102003

Blazer 6-cyl

Loud rumble when accelerating from dead stop when first starting trip. Rumble only occurs around 1500 rpms.

- Ocean Springs, MS, USA

Dec 022002

Blazer

While accelerating on the highway the vehicle hesitated and shut down without prior warning. Please provide additional information dealer is aware of the problem.

- Louisville, OH, USA

Jan 022000

Blazer

Throttle sticks until the consumer gets the throttle cleaned. Contacted dealer.

- Mauwa, NJ, USA

Jun 222002

Blazer

While driving on highway put cruise control on, but it wouldn't disengage. Had to put vehicle in neutral, and cut vehicle off to solve problem.

- Mansfield, PA, USA

Jan 011999

Blazer 4WD

Loud "clunk" noise is heard from the exhaust system under vehicle during start-up and engine shutoff, cruise control shuts off during operation at 55+ mph, front passenger seat recliner handle broke off without force, handle on the cargo shade in the rear broke during cold temperatures, driver side mirror shakes while driving, fog lamps keep blowing out on both sides, gas pedal sticks often, causing a safety hazzard in traffic.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Mar 011998

Blazer 4WD

Throttle control does not slow engine speed properly, dealer service can not repair.

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Mar 042000

Blazer

Throttle gets dirty, every 15,000 miles it needs to be cleaned. If pressing the accelerator pedal slightly vehicle will not move. If pressed with a little more force vehicle will launch forward. Dealer knows of problem. But, not acting on it yet.

- Butler, KY, USA

Sep 151999

Blazer

Ring and pinion gear and rear differential were replaced twice. Also steering idler arm and the speed sensor hav E been replaced.

- Gold Canyon, AZ, USA

Sep 211999

Blazer

Driving at 35 mph, vehicle started to pick up speed without foot on accelerator,2 wheel,4 wheel low and 4 wheel high light came on, also loss of steering, could not turn wheel, causing safety hazard.

- Novelty, OH, USA

Dec 311998

Blazer

While driving my vehicle the cruise control went into resume and failed to let me slow down or stop vehicle. I applied the brakes several times, and I also applied the gas, while holding both feet over the brakes, vehicle still wouldn't disengage. I drove the vehicle in that position for about one mile, trying to get it to stop. When I approached my turning intersection and applied the brakes, the right tire lifted over the curb, and took my vehicle into the path of the southbound ongoing traffic. I then turned my wheel to the right to avoid running into the traffic, and the vechicle went over the grassie medium. I then applied my brakes again, but the vehicle still wouldn't disengage. At that time I realized that the vehicle wasn't going to stop. I then released my seat belt, pushed the door open, and then pushed myself outward of the vehicle. I fell onto the ground, and the vehicle continued to travel northbound and across a four-line highway, and hit a comerica bank pole. Two policeofficers were sent to the scene, and I was given a ticket. The ticket was for failing to maintain control of my vehicle. I tried numberous times to stop my vehicle, but it wouldn't disengage. Please contact me!

- Redford, MI, USA

Jan 221999

Blazer

While driving 55 mph the throttle stuck open, causing loss of vehicle control, resulting in a collision in which the vehicle became airborne and the air bags did not deploy.

- Winfield, WV, USA