1998 Chevrolet Camaro brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chevrolet Camaro:

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Owner Comments

Sep 101998

I started experiencing a pulsating sensation from the brakes after about 5 thousand miles. This sensation usually occurs during moderate braking at freeway speeds. The pulsing continued to increase over time. It got to the point where the steering wheel would vibrate in my hands as I applied the brakes while approaching a stop sign at 35 mph. I contacted my dealer about bringing my car in to have them service the brakes. They told me the rotors were warped and that this would not be covered under warranty. I decided to pull the rotors myself and have them resurfaced. Once this procedure was performed the brakes operated perfectly. It is now 3 thousand miles later and I have the same problem again. This is the fifth Camaro Z28 I have owned and I have not had any problems with the brakes on my other vehicles( 2 1992, 1 1995, 1 1996). I do not drive this vehicle any differently than my previous vehicles. I realize the brakes were redesigned for this vehicle in 1998 and feel that their is a defect in either the disc rotor type, manufacture, or material. The disc rotors and other related brake components that are a direct cause of this problem should be replaced by Chevrolet at no cost to the consumer.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Sep 081999

Front brake rotors cracked.

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Mar 021998

Brake rotors wear out. Dealer ship has looked at the vehicle. Consumer has to change the rotors every 3000 miles, while he still has the original pads on the car.

- Linesville, PA, USA

Jul 011998

Front rotors warped. Steering wheel shakes violently when slowing down from highway speeds. Dealership will only turn rotors, rotors warp again after 6K miles.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Jun 151998

Front brakes rotors warped after only 6000 miles causing steering wheel vibrations at speeds 50-70mph. Braking might be compromised.

- Houston, TX, USA