2011 Chevrolet Camaro steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Camaro:

2011 Chevrolet Camaro Owner Comments

Jun 162014

Camaro

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Camaro. While driving at 75 mph, the vehicle stalled, the signal lights flashed, and the radio and speedometer failed. Additionally, the steering wheel veered to the right independently and the vehicle jerked violently. The vehicle was able to restart and resume normal operation. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000.

- Scarmento, CA, USA

Apr 152014

Camaro 6-cyl

I saw spots of liquid on my driveway and when I checked my car's various fluid levels, the power steering fluid was so low it didn't show on the dip stick. I contacted my dealer service center and made an appointment right away. They discovered that the inner seal on the steering gear had failed. It was not due to an accident, collision, hitting a pothole or anything caused by me. This was a factory failure and a problem that is very rare on cars with mileage that low (so I was told). The car was just over 5000 miles outside its factory warranty and the repair cost me $1034.07. Fortunately, the power steering pump was not damaged from being completely out of fluid or the repair would have been even more costly. The most disturbing thing is that I had absolutely no warning of this problem at all. It was a sudden and complete failure.

- Muldrow, OK, USA

Apr 052011

Camaro 8-cyl

At 70 miles per hour the boot cover would blow off. Went to two different dealers they didnt know what to do.I was looking at one on showroom floor and figured out two bolts was missing on mine. They fixed it and give me a new boot end of that problem. The other problem when you turn steering all the way to left it makes a grinding noise. One dealer told me he couldt hear anything. The next dealer told me they all did it. The next dealer changed rear end oil. Still makes noise. It sounds like the bump stop lets it go to far. If you bring the wheel back a half inch it quits this is my wifes car she really likes this car.

- Magnolia, AR, USA

Aug 122012

Camaro

Picked up car after being in back and forth all week at lucas Chevy, in NJ. The car was driven less than 40 miles after they replaced the steering rack. Picked up on wed 8/8/12 after car was supposed to be done on 8/7. I had to bring the car back on 8/9/12 as the car was pulling and steering wheel off center. They never aligned the front end! I had to drop car back on 8/9/12 again that night as steering was binding and shuddering again!the dealer called me that Friday 8/10 and said the pick up the car everything was fine, it was low on fluid. When I checked the fluid on wed 8/8 the fluid was clear as power steering fluid is. When I picked the car back up on 8/10/12 I had to bring back again because P/S reservoir was soaked with fluid/I also saw they switched P/S fluid to transmission fluid!the service manager who didn't even know where the reservoir was or how to remove the engine cover wiped it clean and said have a nice day. On 8/12/12 while trying to back in driveway the steering locked and is now clunking with a metallic grind and also the brake fluid reservoir was wet with brake fluid again after cap was replaced two months ago! I also noticed they replaced both outer tie rod ends without telling me or putting it on the paperwork!the car is so dangerous it had to be towed to lucas Chevrolet again!they are being dictated on what to do by GM legal as I had enough and filed a lemon law claim!its been to 3 dealers and has had a new steering column, intermediate shaft, angle sensor, SRS coil, new tie rod ends and that just in the steering alone! what right is right, they did fix the clunking in the rear from the drive shaft on the first try!

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Jul 122012

Camaro

Just picked up car. It was in shop for two days. Car had a grinding and squealing in the steering. GM technical assistance told them the disconnect shaft to see where noise was coming from. Dealer had to replace angle sensor and SRS coil for the air bag. Pick up car and was like new again for about 35 mile. I was backing into drive way and heard a snap from the steering. Now the noise is back and steering is wobbly and clunking along with a strong smell of power steering fluid! I have to take it back tomorrow for their 4th attempt, next step lemon lawyer!

- Mount Laural, NJ, USA

Jun 282011

Camaro

Brake fluid leaks from master cylinder resovoir. Tsb for the 2010 models but the 2011S also do it!replaced and still leaks. Power steering has a screeching, rubbing sound and gets hard to turn. The dealer I bought the car, verified the issue, but service manager and advisor who drove the car and admit there's an issue said they don't want to work on my car!very dangerous situation!

- Mount Laural, NJ, USA

Dec 082010

Camaro 6-cyl

The first failure was at 4500 miles in the middle lane as car pulled infront and when I hit the brakes the car when into a skid and the steering wheel locked up at approx 40 mph.this defect did not crash the car. The second incident was at approx 70 on the free way as a car came through the triangle at a junction I hit the brakes the steering wheel cranked all the way to the right and locked up as did the braking system throwing me head on into a guard rail at approx 60. The air bags did not deploy as well. The following day at the car yard while the key was inserted by the technician the car said that airbags depleted need replacing.

- Highland, CA, USA