2012 Chevrolet Camaro electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro:

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Owner Comments

Aug 252016

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. While driving 63 mph, the vehicle experienced a loss of power and made an abnormal noise. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the failure was a result of NHTSA campaign number: 14V34600 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. A certified technican test drove the vehicle, but could not replicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 58,300.

- Ennis, TX, USA

Jul 012016

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. After the vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 14V346000 (electrical system), the key fobik failed to unlock the door. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the technician stated that the key fobik needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and refused to provide additional assistance due to the vehicle being remedied per the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 44,500.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Jun 092015

Vehicle would not start; repaired and then symptom happened again. Said to be a faulty water bladder designed to remove leaking water from convt top in the trunk area, caused by two buttons on the convertible top missing. Dealer suggested using a car cover to prevent it from happening again. Problem: The design is flawed and there is no notice that something this dangerous could happen. When the electrical parts failed, (entire wire loom was compromised with no warning!) no safety items would work. If vehicle was on major highway, death would probably occur. Vehicle(s) should be recalled and new system designed to eliminate water intrusion. I understand from internet this is an ongoing safety problem. I was charged $ because water leaks are not covered by warranty. Due to a design flaw and no notification from the company of the dangers of this design flaw; no mention anywhere in the operations manual regarding the location of the" buttons" or the water bladder, or the chance that the vehicle could become disabled due to the design flaw. This vehicle, with this problem could have shut down on any of the many highways I drive leaving me, or worse, my wife in danger and powerless with no warning of any problem. When the wire loom in my Camaro and fuse box failed, all brake lights and all other power failed. This reminds me of an incident years ago on the Pennsylvania/New Jersey walt whitman bridge where a new Ford product was run over and all four occupants killed by a tractor trailer. The cause was found to be a bad computer module.

- North Wildwood, NJ, USA

Jan 062015

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V300000 (air bags) and 14V346000 (electrical system); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA

Jan 012015

Camaro 6-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Camaro. Consumer has attempted numerous to get ignition recall fixed, but was unsuccessful.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 182013

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. The contact stated that the reduced power engine shut off warning light illuminated. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled. The failures occurred on several occasions. On one occasion, the vehicle stalled causing the contact to lose control of the vehicle and crash into a median. The vehicle was able to restart. A police report was not filed. The driver sustained minor physical injuries that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V346000 (electrical system) and pending the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Oct 062014

Camaro 6-cyl

As my 2012 Camaro has been issued a VIN recall, I want to let Chevrolet, the public at large and my local Chevy dealership in Colorado that I am utterly disgusted with the offered treatment of this recall stated as "remedy: Dealers are to provide two replacement key rings. Vehicles with slotted keys will also receive key inserts." My reasons for not being satisfied with this description is because having my keys cut off the remote control and given secondary keys as another thing to keep track of is not what was paid for when purchasing the vehicle. Why should I settle for a fix (that is substandard to what originally came with the vehicle)" why should I settle for whatever GM decides to give me as replacement in order for them to comply with that which they should have complied with to begin with? in my eyes, Chevrolet is seeking a quick fix in order for them to save dollars and what do I get in return for the thousands I paid them? I get a substandard replacement of a necessary item. A cosmetic debacle so that Chevy can comply with the 465,000 vehicles they continued to allow on the road "as is" until caught by the law. Now I ask, what will this do to the value of the vehicle down the road" Chevrolet owes me exactly what I paid for: Brand new ignition with brand new remote control keys just as they are when purchased with the vehicle. A remedy should be an improvement not instead, 3 steps backward. I am thoroughly disgusted about this recall remedy and with Chevrolet's poor decision making values.

- Erie, CO, USA

Sep 012014

2021 Chevrolet Camaro. Consumer would like to receive a copy of a consumer complaint form and any information regarding the ignition recall.

- Bellefonte, PA, USA

Sep 132014

Camaro 8-cyl

On 9/13/2014, my wife drove my 2012 Chevy Camaro ZL11 to her dads, when she left she pulled out of his drive way and stopped at stop sign, she took off in first gear she said when she shifted the car into second gear the car just took off she said it acted like something just took over, like a cruise control, except no matter what she did including hitting the brake the continued to increase in speed, keep in mind this car has a 6 speed standard transmission, meaning she had one foot on throttle and one foot on clutch when this happened unlike automatic where you could have hit gas instead of brake, my wife has never had an accident or a speeding ticket, I believe something happened, with all this being said 17 days later she is in icu with 2 broken bones in her back and a piece of broken bone lodged next to her spine, this needs to be addressed next time it could be a hole family. The car has been considered total loss, but I have not released the car to insurance company at this time.

- Mena, AR, USA

Sep 122014

Camaro 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number 14V346000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the manufacturer's remedy suggestion was inefficient and he did not agree with the recommended adjusting of the driver seat or the addition of a heavy key fob. The contact stated that the weight of the key fob placed on the right knee might cause medical concerns. The contact communicated to the dealer the concern of the recall remedy suggestion. The contact would not have the vehicle remedy per the recall notification. The manufacturer was notified about the recall remedy ineffectiveness. Updated 10/23/14

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Jul 212014

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. While driving 3 mph and making a right turn into a fuel station, the engine stalled. The vehicle rolled into a fuel pump island buffer. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V346000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Apr 012013

Camaro 6-cyl

When the ignition switch/ key is slightly bumped with knee, the car shuts off. Three times now. Dealership not responsive. Taught my teen drivers what to do if this happens and this saved my daughter's life when it happened to her.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Jul 052013

Camaro 6-cyl

I was driving the car to the gas station to get a drink. When I pulled in I shut the car off removed the key and locked the doors. When I came back out my car was on fire. Fire department had to be called to put out the fire. Fire department deemed the fire to be caused by the electrical system.

- El Paso , TX, USA

May 312013

I purchased my 2012 Camaro in August of 2012. It was brand new, 0 mileage when I bought it. Since I have had it, there have been no issues...until today. I woke up to discover that my entire car was engulfed in flames, also spreading the fire to another vehicle. Both vehicles are now totaled. The fire damage was so extensive the Camaro is basically a burned frame. All of the glass and body melted. The fire department deemed there was no foul play, and it was an electrical fire. I have been looking online to see if there were any other similar incidents, but I have not found anything yet. I don't know if mine was just defective or what the scenario is, but this definitely needs more research!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 012012

The reverse camera in the rear view mirror, will not go off when put in drive. It takes awhile and when I first gotthe car the minute you put it in drive the camera shut off the way it should as its dangerous when you are in drive and cant look in the mirror!

- Mt.Laurel, NJ, USA