2012 Chevrolet Camaro engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro:

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Owner Comments

Sep 222016

Camaro

Engine power reduced, service stabilitrak light while getting off highway, car slowed down significantly. I cant imagine what may have happened had I still been on the highway. This is extremely concerning. Apparently this is a know issue with Chevy & GM cars. I have seen many forums and it seems nothing resolves this issue. There should be a recall on all Chevrolet & GM cars.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 252016

Camaro

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. While driving 63 mph, the vehicle experienced a loss of power and made an abnormal noise. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the failure was a result of NHTSA campaign number: 14V34600 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. A certified technican test drove the vehicle, but could not replicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 58,300. Updated 10/19/16

- Ennis, TX, USA

Sep 282015

Camaro

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. While at a stop sign, there was a loud noise coming from the engine. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wrist pins and the piston were faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 34,000.

- Glass Lake, MI, USA

Dec 182013

Camaro

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. The contact stated that the reduced power engine shut off warning light illuminated. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled. The failures occurred on several occasions. On one occasion, the vehicle stalled causing the contact to lose control of the vehicle and crash into a median. The vehicle was able to restart. A police report was not filed. The driver sustained minor physical injuries that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V346000 (electrical system) and pending the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Aug 242014

Camaro 6-cyl

I parked my car around 815pm Sunday night 8/24/14.. around 10 pm I went back to my car and got my papers out the trunk. Around 1 am my neighbor came to my door to let me know my car was on fire.. before I was told my car was on fire I did hear a loud boom noise but thought it was a diesel on the highway.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jun 272014

Camaro

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle exhibited a reduction in engine power and stalled. The vehicle failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the six-rod bearing had spun which needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Additionally, the contact mentioned that the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that all four oxygen sensors failed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 9,800 and the current mileage was 10,200.

- Jackson, OH, USA

Feb 102014

Camaro 6-cyl

As I was driving on interstate 85 my car suddenly loss power it did not cut off completely but it felt like the car was shutting down. It slowed down to about 40 mph and it would not accelerate any faster. Luckily I was close to work and took the street route and made it to work. The engine light did come on and it said it was low engine power. This was the second time it happened within 3 months. I called onstar the first time and they did a diagnostic which came back saying service engine with some other dynamics I didn't understand. Once I got to work and cut the car off I cut it off then tried to start it again to see if it would reset itself but this time it wouldn't start. Called Chevy and they said to wait a couple hours and try it again otherwise I would need to tow it there. I waited two hours then checked and it cranked right up and engine light went off, called Chevy back and they said it probably was just computer problems. Now this is happening again and this time the engine light stayed on for three days. But again it went away after that. I'm starting to think that its just something wrong with the engine and next time I wont be so lucky.

- Riverdale , GA, USA

Jul 052013

Camaro 6-cyl

I was driving the car to the gas station to get a drink. When I pulled in I shut the car off removed the key and locked the doors. When I came back out my car was on fire. Fire department had to be called to put out the fire. Fire department deemed the fire to be caused by the electrical system.

- El Paso , TX, USA

Feb 142013

Camaro 6-cyl

During acceleration, the engine hesitates and begins to choke. When it attempts to shift into the next gear it feels like the car will shut off. I was almost in several accidents on the highway due to this issue. Took car to Chevy dealership at 845am the next morning and the mechanics could not get any type of answer to me until 2pm. I was told they were on the phone and laptops with tech's somewhere else in the U.S. the guessed decision, was some sort of can/am or cam sensor. They did not know why there were five error codes from this issue. I was told that the mechanics were instructed to start fixing this issue, by replacing the sensor and then run another diagnostics on the vehicle. I have to wait three days for the part to come in and was told this may eventually not be the correct fix to this issue. Iknow have to wait. Luckily my power train warranty covers this part and labor but I have to pay a one hundred dollar deductible towards the cost per the contract.

- Fairless Hills, PA, USA

Apr 102012

Camaro

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The manufacturer was contacted and had the vehicle towed to a local dealer. The dealer reset the computer but the repair did not remedy the issue. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer where the dealer reset the computer a second time. The dealer also drove the vehicle for one hundred miles and could not duplicate the stalling issue. The vehicle continued to stall sporadically. The failure mileage was 4,200.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Mar 152012

Camaro 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ls. The contact stated that while in reverse, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was restarted after the failure and was taken to the dealer twice. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 1,000 and the current mileage was 7,794....updated 10/17/12 the consumer stated the vehicle stalled while pulling out into traffic. Updated 10/17/12

- Quincy, MA, USA

Jun 252012

Camaro 6-cyl

Between 1500 - 1900 RPM's - all gears the car shudders - similar to a dog shaking itself of water. This occurs in automatic and manual shift modes. It is occurring in all gears between the specified RPM's. it has been at the dealership now for 2 days.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA