2012 Chevrolet Camaro seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro:

2012 Chevrolet Camaro Owner Comments

Jan 302016

Takata possible. I'm new to this but I see recalls on my car and my air bag light is on for no reason and dealership tells me no recall. I am not sure what to do. As I put my VIN in and it does show air bag recall musson patout dealerships says no and wants me to pay. Is there any help. Just came on service air bag driving no special reason.

- Jeanerette, LA, USA

Sep 042013

I was driving from work going from at least 25mph and had an accident with another vehicle crossing the intersection. His air bags deployed, but mine did not. I had hit my mouth on the steering wheel and had to get stitches.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Feb 032014

Sudden deceleration, loss of ability to steer vehicle, resulting in rear end collision with 3 fatalities....updated 05/11/15 updated 9/16/2015

- Kirbyville, TX, USA

Feb 032014

Car decelerated, steering lost, resulting in crash with 3 fatalities. Air bags did not deploy any time.

- Kirbyville, TX, USA

Dec 152014

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle, the air bag sensor light illuminated indicating that the air bag system was faulty. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the sensing diagnostic module was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 26,000.

- Keokuk, IA, USA

Jan 192015

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the service air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the SDM was not communicating. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 13V023000 (air bags) however, the VIN was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,849.

- Benton, MO, USA

Jan 062015

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V300000 (air bags) and 14V346000 (electrical system); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA

Oct 232014

Camaro 6-cyl

While driving with traffic on 6 lane road with 45 mph speed limit, the vehicle, a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro convertible, was struck from the rear by a box truck at speed causing a significant delta-V event. Upon initial impact, the steering wheel, airbag, ignition lock, turn signal and wiper switch assembly, spline shaft and metal cylinder from the tilt/telescoping assembly separated from the vehicle as a single assembly. The steering wheel assembly struck the driver in the chest and jaw, breaking the mandible in multiple places. Driver also sustained compression fracture of the T12 vertebra among other injuries. The vehicle continued moving forward after the initial impact but driver could not steer with the separated steering wheel. Vehicle drifted off the right side of the road striking a 6? I-beam supporting a road sign. Electrical connections to the airbag and ignition separated during the initial impact. Driver was the sole occupant of the Camaro and was using seat belts at the time of the accident.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Nov 102014

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. While at a red light, another vehicle struck the driver side fender of the contact's vehicle. The driver side air bag failed to deploy and the driver's head struck the steering wheel. The driver received medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Longview, TX, USA

May 182014

Camaro 8-cyl

While driving my vehicle down a straight road, the air bag curtains on both sides of the vehicle spontaneously deployed. I was not in a car accident, I was not turning any corners, I did not hit a bump, nothing. I was only driving down a straight road. I had the car towed to the place of purchase (john L sullivan in roseville, ca) because it is still under warranty. When the service tech calls me back, they advise that they are getting codes from the black box that the car has been tampered with and/or has had third party parts installed. This is a bunch of crap because I did not have anything installed other than the lojack that they installed for me and the replacement of a part (I'm not sure what it was) that was causing my check engine light to come on even though I only had the car for 3 weeks, which once again they also installed. When I took the car to them on 4/18/14 for an oil change, I let the service tech know that my service airbag light was on and he advised that I will need to make an appointment to come back another day because it takes 2-3 hours just for them to diagnose the cause but that its probably just a bad sensor (basically blowing it off like it was no big deal). So I said ok and kept driving it with the service airbag light on because he made it seem like it was no big deal. I also do not live near the dealership and use this car to get to and from work everyday so I was also waiting for a convenient time for me to be able to take and leave the car with them for an extended period of time. I am now being told that I need to go through my insurance to get the repairs paid for. This is wrong! john L sullivan and/or GM is responsible for this and need to cover the repairs under my warranty or they need to give me a new car. I am also experiencing chest pain caused from the incident and will be going to the doctors to have it looked at today.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 102013

Camaro 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. The contact stated that he started the vehicle and the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but they could not determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 6,000. Updated 8/22/13

- Hertulaneum, MS, USA

Apr 162012

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro. The contact stated that the front passenger side air bag sensor was not recognizing that a passenger was seated in that seat. As a result, the front passenger's air bag light was illuminated. The contact stated that the only way that the air bag sensor functioned properly was if the passenger entered the vehicle and fastened the seat belt before starting the ignition. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the system was operating up to standard and functioning as normal. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 16 and the current mileage was 1,284.

- Toms River, NJ, USA