2013 Chevrolet Camaro steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Camaro:

2013 Chevrolet Camaro Owner Comments

Jul 022016

Camaro

While driving down a local roadway making a left turn the tilt steering wheel locking lever fell out of position and hit my leg while I was attempting to shift gears. The surprise of an unexpected object striking my leg resulted in missing the shift and grazing a curb which resulted in damage to my right front tire and wheel. Upon stopping, the lever was unable to be pushed back into place and was easily removed from the steering column without the usage of tools. Vehicle was taken to Chevrolet dealer where I was told that the only way to fix this was to replace the entire steering column, service department agreed that this was not a wear & tear issue on the mechanism, but that they have no information on a problem with this item. Camaro and other Chevy forums show this is not an isolated incident.

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Feb 012016

Camaro

I have brought this vehicle to the GM repair facilities on multiple occasions for an issue that I find unsafe and unsettling. As the vehicle is travelling above 50 miles per hour or greater it will make an uncommanded right or left turn sometimes accompanied with a flashing traction control light. The latest excuse I received from a dealer in Florida was that "General Motors" states this is acceptable and is troughing. The explanation would be reasonable if the tendency to turn was minor. This tendency to turn is hard and 90 degrees. I have paid to have evaluations completed on the alignment and the tires have worn unevenly / on the outer edges, but the reports indicate the alignment has been good. The road ways are typically straight and level and moisture has not been a factor. My wife and I are both drivers of the vehicle and have both experienced the issue and the technicians at the dealers have reportedly experienced the issue as well but did not locate a cause of failure. Once the dealer contacted GM the issue was considered acceptable by someone on their end.

- Viera, FL, USA

Jan 162014

Camaro

I went out to my garage & started my Camaro ss to go to work. The driver information center displayed a message advising the power steering required service. The car was nearly impossible to turn and I didn't feel safe driving it 30+ miles to the dealer. I had the car towed (no cost to me) to rogers-dabbs Chevrolet, brandon ms, for service. I was told since they could not get the car to have this issue they couldn't identify the source of the problem so they couldn't fix it. I had the same problem 15 months later and the dealer still has not identified the problem, nor will they try. I was told they "are not magicians" so they can't fix what's not showing up as an issue when the car is with them.

- Harrisville, MS, USA

Mar 152015

Camaro 6-cyl

Traveling at 35 mph and changing from right lane to left lane power steering failed caused car to cross median into lanes on the other side of the street striking fire hydrant and curb.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 212013

Camaro

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Camaro. While driving approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel drifted to the left and it became difficult to gain control of the steering wheel. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V346000 (electrical system); however, the part was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 8,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec 172013

Camaro 6-cyl

I purchase a new 2013 Camaro for son earlier this year. This car has fewer than 15K miles and earlier this month my son was making a left turn in a neighborhood and on the steering wheel returning back to center, the steering wheel locked then he heard a snap which resulted in him hitting the curb. The snapping sound was probably the sound of the right control arm snapping in half and the bending of the tie rod. I filed a claim with GM and they declined all claims even with the many recalls on GM cars including the Camaro having steering wheel locking issues. I could have lost my son and I'm simply asking that GM cover the repairs. This has been very disappointing and stressfully on my family.

- Deer Park, TX, USA

Sep 032014

Camaro

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Camaro. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized and became very hard to turn. The power brakes became inoperable and the vehicle veered to the right. As a result, the driver crashed into a ditch. The driver sustained a minor injury. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. A police report was not filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Crown City, OH, USA

May 022014

Camaro 6-cyl

I drove my car through my guard gate and proceeded to turn the corner at approximately 25mph when I lost complete steering of my car and the car shut off. Luckily I was not at a high speed when this occurred and was able to stop the car on the grassy embankment of our lake, after my car rim was snagged by a 2 ft thin metal post attached to a tree. I had the car towed to the Chevy dealer who immediately had me file a claim with GM after noticing that a part on the steering of the car was faulty and caused a collapse of the steering rack. At the time of the incident the air bag deployment light came on even though there was no collision nor deployment. By the way, GM declined the claim even though it was due to a faulty part and I am caught in the middle of the insurance company, Chevy dealer and GM trying to decide who is paying for the repair of my vehicle 6 weeks later. The car has never been in an accident and all parts are original to the car with no after market installations at all.

- Davie, FL, USA

Dec 182013

Camaro 6-cyl

While driving down I 75 in ocala Florida car stalled in middle of highway. I pulled over to shoulder and had to restart car. I took it in to a dealer and they said they could not find any thing wrong. They said take the car.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Mar 022014

Camaro

Loss of electric power steering assist making turns. From a stop making a left or a right turn, the car loses it power steering randomly. No codes or lights on dash.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Apr 042013

Camaro 8-cyl

The steering column in this brand new vehicle is not straight. It was like this brand new. I was told that all of the 2013 Camaros are like this. This is crazy. I have spent a lot of money on this car. Please help?

- Aurora, IL, USA