1996 Chevrolet Cavalier electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier:

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Dec 212007

Cavalier 2.2L

My Anti-Theft only kicks on now when I use my Auto Starter(installed by an "anonymous" store), but goes off in like 10-15 mins and can start my car regularly.

- , Akron, OH, USA

Nov 012007

Cavalier Convertible ?L V4

The Anti-theft system comes on intermittently. If the car is already started, it will continue to run. If I am trying to start the car it will catch - then die and the Anti-theft light on the dash is blinking. Trying several times or changing the position of the steering wheel (tilt and rotate) sometimes allows it to start. It does not seem to be related to temp or humidity and this happens 25% of the time when I am trying to start my car.

A dealership diagnosed this as an issue with the Ignition Lock Cylinder, ILC Housing, and Ignition Switch. They say $1400 will fix it.

I found a recall for this car and Ignition Switch issue (Recall ID# 14779). Although the symptoms are different (IS can heat and cause fire), I am going to have my car processed for the recall and see if it changes anything.

If that doesn't work, I could sue GM for less than $1400 and it would definitely be more satisfying.

- , Bedford, TX, USA

Jul 122006

Cavalier LE

Pass lock system keeps setting diagnostic code p1629. Replaced IPC unit, key cyllinder and PCM. Diagnostic code keeps setting please help.

- , Milroy, PA, USA

Sep 012004

Cavalier 2.2 Liter 2.2l

When i changed my instrument cluster out the theft system came on and wont cut off. The car will start then immediately cut itself off. then the theft system light on the cluster blinks and cannot get it to stop. I was wondering if someone can offer some suggestions on the problem and how to fix it. thanks.

- , West Columbia, SC, USA

Nov 072003

Something is tripping the factory's theft system and I cannot get it to stop or disengage. three local dealers all say very different things and an OBD diagnosis shows nothing wrong.

- , Rio Rancho, NM, USA