8.8

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Oct 282010

Cavalier

The damn thing starts only about 25% of the time. Took it in, got a new fuel pump ($500 for that) and it didn't fix the issue. I've gotten stuck at the store with my infant daughter and had to walk home in the cold while trying to keep her warm. Have to spend another $200 on diagnostics today just to see if they can figure out another solution. I will never buy another Chevy again after this car. Too bad for Chevy because I had planned to buy an Equinox next year. I guess I'll have to find a Ford.

- , St. Catharines, ON, Canada

May 132009

Cavalier 2.2L

If it's the first startup of the day, and everything's cold, she'll start without issue. once it's been started once it won't start the second time. it cranks and cranks forever without turning over. my Mechanic told me to push the gas pedal to the floor when this happens. and that worked. except smoke comes out of the exhaust and everything smells like fuel. he tried cleaning the idle control sensor, seemed to work, but that turned out to be a temporary fix. he replaced the idle control sensor. that did nothing. now he suspects maybe the fuel injectors, and maybe it somehow floods it's self. we're going to try those next. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

- , Norwalk, CA, USA

Apr 042008

Cavalier Sport Edition V4

put key in. turn to start, makes a noise doesn't want to turn over. seems like it only happens when hot, i live in Florida. finally when it does start it, it shakes like crazy, makes a cloud of smokes and smells like fuel. took to Chevy dealer but if it runs, turns off for a few minutes and starts just fine. i changed the battery, spark plugs, tried fuel injector cleaner. nothing works, anyone have this situation? solutions?? please help

- , Brandon, FL, USA

Mar 082008

Cavalier 2.2L

Last week my sister tells me that her car will not start. Thought it was the battery. Turns out the engine rotates fine and there was spark. Everything else (fuel pump and fuses) seem to fine as well. Friend says that his wifes Cavalier had the same issue and to follow the instructions on resetting the passlock system. Did not work. There is no blinking or steady light coming from the "theft" light on the dash. Found a website that added the "turn key back off for 5 seconds" and after a 15 minute wait it worked. Now the car is stuck on the 3rd floor of the Ritz in downtown New Orleans. Will not start no matter how many times I try the 10 minute reset! Called for a tow truck but nobody has a truck small enough to enter the parking garage to get the car!!!! Since the car will not run it is impossible to get it out to the 1st floor so that a truck can retrieve the thing. I guess I will be returning back to downtown to sit in the car again for another battle with this car!!!! I will be installing the bypass PLJX. I hope this will work. As of now, my sister will be getting a new car instead.

- , Luling, LA, USA

Aug 312002

Cavalier

Turns over but won't start. Please help, not really sure what the problem is.

- , Humble, TX, USA