1. replace transmission myself (1 reports)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Nov 142009

Cavalier 2.2L

I had recently read on a Cavalier Forum about the 03 Cavalier transmission problems. It seems there is a large number of posts stating their transmissions went at 136,000KM or 98000Miles. Just 2 months ago I told my wife we should sell this car because we were close to that mileage.

I guess that was no joke because just like they said, right on the damn button at 135K the trans started slipping. It got worse with each day while I searched for a good used trans. The dealership was a waste of my time and $. They charged me $101 to tell me they can't find the problem. Said they would have to remove the trans and tear it down to inspect inside.

Remove & Replace Trans = 10.4HR's at $90/HR = $936 Inner Trans Inspection = $90/HR OR New Trans = $2600+Tax = $2938

I was able to find a good used one with 7,236KM for $650. Then the install cost me about $200 for new seals, gaskets, filter, and fluid. These had to be replaced as per the 90 day warranty clause on the tranny.

So the dealership wanted $3874 to put in a new transmission. I was able to do it myself with an almost new trans for $850 and about 12HR of my time

- , Wallaceburg, Ontario, Canada