CarComplaints.com Notes: Widespread instrument panel failure is a common and frustrating reality for many 2004-2005 Chevy Cavalier owners. They're often left in the dark when it comes to knowing how fast they're going, what their engine temperature is, or even how much fuel they have left in the tank.

The likely culprit is a series of bad "stepper motors" which control the gauges and are no longer covered under warranty. Think not being able to see your speed is a safety issue and should be recalled for all owners? We'd agree. Trouble is, apparently the NHTSA does not.

2.9

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Oct 162005

Cavalier 4-cyl

In rainy conditions, my Cavalier does not seem to stop well and the ABS is overactive. Puddles, wet roads, rain, and snow seem to have adverse effects on my stopping abilities. In two different rain storms I have almost hit a possum, a cop, a tree limb, other cars, and missed an intersection; non of which had anything to do with speeding. The lack of stopping ability is dangerous to me and others driving around me. My car is scheduled for a diagnostics check to find out what can be done about this problem. I do not feel safe driving my car anymore.

- Shohola, PA, USA