CarComplaints.com Notes: Widespread instrument panel failure is a common and frustrating reality for many 2004-2005 Chevy Cavalier owners. They're often left in the dark when it comes to knowing how fast they're going, what their engine temperature is, or even how much fuel they have left in the tank.

The likely culprit is a series of bad "stepper motors" which control the gauges and are no longer covered under warranty. Think not being able to see your speed is a safety issue and should be recalled for all owners? We'd agree. Trouble is, apparently the NHTSA does not.

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Apr 112009

Cavalier 2.2L Ecotec

I have a 2004 Cavalier (has 2.2 Ecotec, its a 5 spd) and it will NOT start! The battery is good, the starter is good but it wont start unless I use a 200 amp boost OR use a screw driver to connect the solenoid. Here's the best part .... NO ONE CAN TELL ME WHATS WRONG WITH IT!!!! I have talked to the dealership, an autowrecking place, 4 parts stores and 2 shops and NO ONE has any idea whats wrong with it or why it wont start! All the wires and everything tests fine but there's nothing. Needless to say the car is still sitting and i cant drive it.

I am thoroughly disgusted with my car as well as the fact that the people that work at the dealership cant even give me an idea of whats wrong with it, however, amazingly enough they want me to bring it in the shop for them to look at. HELLO, are you kidding me! You cant even give me an idea of what it could be, why in world would i bring it to you and pay you hundreds of dollars to do the same thing you are already doing by staring me in the face like im making this up ... i know what you are going to do ... NOTHING.

This whole situation has been absolutely absurd. I use to be a very very loyal Chevrolet person. I have never owned anything but NOR have i thought about it, but i can tell you what ... after this i will NEVER own another Chevy!!!!!

I would also like to add that I am very disgusted with the way men have treated me through this ordeal. Yes i am a 23 year old female but let me tell you something I'm not stupid! I have been rebuilding engines and transmissions, doing brake jobs, changing starters and everything else you can think of since i was 14 and i do NOT appreciate being talked to and treated like im the biggest moron that has ever walked the face of the earth, just BC YOU DON'T THINK I KNOW ANYTHING JUST BECAUSE IM FEMALE!!!

- , Fowler, OH, USA