CarComplaints.com Notes: Widespread instrument panel failure is a common and frustrating reality for many 2004-2005 Chevy Cavalier owners. They're often left in the dark when it comes to knowing how fast they're going, what their engine temperature is, or even how much fuel they have left in the tank.

The likely culprit is a series of bad "stepper motors" which control the gauges and are no longer covered under warranty. Think not being able to see your speed is a safety issue and should be recalled for all owners? We'd agree. Trouble is, apparently the NHTSA does not.

8.0

1. run new power line for fuel pump (1 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Cavalier fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Jan 042010

Cavalier LS 2.2L

it was my mother in laws car and I traced wires for 8 hours. this is how it started, she drove the car home from work (20) miles or so. she shut it off went in to the house for 30 min came back out and it would not start. I checked all fuses and relays and I looked at it and i thought it was a fuel pump when you turn the key to on position the fuel pump did not kick on. so i replaced the fuel pump. Put it back together and did not work. so i had to pull back seats, trim, and dash board and found that the wire chaffed right by the steering column. it had melted 4 different wires.

- , Lancaster, OH, USA