CarComplaints.com Notes: Widespread instrument panel failure is a common and frustrating reality for many 2004-2005 Chevy Cavalier owners. They're often left in the dark when it comes to knowing how fast they're going, what their engine temperature is, or even how much fuel they have left in the tank.

The likely culprit is a series of bad "stepper motors" which control the gauges and are no longer covered under warranty. Think not being able to see your speed is a safety issue and should be recalled for all owners? We'd agree. Trouble is, apparently the NHTSA does not.

8.0

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Dec 312006

Cavalier LS 2.2L I4

Today in downtown Atlanta (where the roads are shot to hell), it was raining all day today. While stopped at a light on the top of a hill, the light turned green and after applying gas I noticed the car had absolutely no traction. There was another car to my left that backed off after my car started swerving hard to the left and the right while the wheels were spinning while I was trying to take off. It felt like the front wheels were completely lifted off of the ground and I was not able to regain control until I moved my shifter from 1 to 2 on manual mode (which is where I leave the car--in manual mode). I will tell Chevy about this because this vehicle has poor handling enough. A car this low to the ground and with traction controls this sensitive should not ever have a rough take off like this. Definitely a safety issue.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA