Print this page Notes: Widespread instrument panel failure is a common and frustrating reality for many 2004-2005 Chevy Cavalier owners. They're often left in the dark when it comes to knowing how fast they're going, what their engine temperature is, or even how much fuel they have left in the tank.

The likely culprit is a series of bad "stepper motors" which control the gauges and are no longer covered under warranty. Think not being able to see your speed is a safety issue and should be recalled for all owners? We'd agree. Trouble is, apparently the NHTSA does not.

2. strut mounts replaced (1 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Cavalier suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Jun 092009

Cavalier LS 2.2

I have noisy creaking rattling strut mounts on my car. What I want to know is this: Will it hurt if I just keep on driving the car like this...creaking noises at slow speeds?

- , Zeeland, MI, USA

Feb 012010

Cavalier LS

I'm not sure what the problem is...(this problem started as a clunking noise in the front end when I turned or hit a small bump and it evolved rapidly!) but when I turn left or right the front end sounds like there are two elephants jumping on a squeaky metal bed! It also has a sound like plastic rubbing together but I'm guessing that's from the cheap dashboard material. It's embarrassing and annoying. I'm just waiting for my tires to fall off or to hit a bump and knock my head off the roof or windshield when the car doesn't cushion the bump/pot hole. It rides terrible too! I run over a peanut and my butt comes off the seat! But ok, in all seriousness: I had a shop tell me it's the struts going bad and another told me it's the strut mounts. Then another told me it was a ball joint, u joint, or sway bar (?) some kind of bar/arm.

I'm waiting until this becomes a more serious problem, hopefully by then I'll be trading it in or fishing it out of the river! I had a 99 cavalier and in 3 years the only problem that had to be fixed was the alternator! They just don't make them like they use to! This will be my last cavalier and possibly my last chevy. They've burned my bridge to their dealership with this car! Never again! I'm sick of putting money into this POS. sigh

- , Athens, PA, USA

Apr 062009

Cavalier LE 2.2L

The car sounds like it is going to fall apart whenever I make a Moving merge type turn, or hit bumps while turning, I am almost afraid to keep driving it.

- , Niles, OH, USA

Apr 072009

Whenever you go in reverse or turn, there is this clicking and rattling sound occurring, and I don't know if somethings gonna fall off or what, it's highly annoying. I can't believe all the issues with this car and it was fairly new when I purchased it, I will never buy another American car I know that much.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 062008

Cavalier LS 2.2L Ecotec

Very quiet clunking sound when slow speed turning right. on the hwy it would have a slight vibration when turning right. Took it to the suspension shop(pomps) and they could find nothing wrong with it. They said they could also hear it but didn't want to start replacing parts trying to fix an unknown problem, told me to come back when it gets worse.

- , Evansville, WI, USA

Aug 182007

Cavalier LS 2.2L V4

Annoying clunk click noise when turning a corner and going over small bumps. Strut mounts replaced at 23,000 miles

- , Janesville, WI, USA