Print this page Notes: Widespread instrument panel failure is a common and frustrating reality for many 2004-2005 Chevy Cavalier owners. They're often left in the dark when it comes to knowing how fast they're going, what their engine temperature is, or even how much fuel they have left in the tank.

The likely culprit is a series of bad "stepper motors" which control the gauges and are no longer covered under warranty. Think not being able to see your speed is a safety issue and should be recalled for all owners? We'd agree. Trouble is, apparently the NHTSA does not.

1. replaced window motor (2 reports)
  2. replace switch (1 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Cavalier windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments

Jan 012008

Cavalier 4 cyl

Bought this car new, windows started going out randomly. I had motor repaired more than once for each window. Right now, none of my windows are working and back passenger window is down and I can't get it back up. Last time motor went out I drove with a garbage bag taped to my car, then it flaps in the wind! How embarrASSing!!!

Went to a Chev dealer told them the problem. They didn't care. I told them I was going to buy a Toyota next time (i have been a Chevy person all my life) They said they did not blame me. Why can't Chev step up and fix the problem??????????? P.S. What a pain, I can't go thru the drive thru businesses (banks, Micky Ds)

- , Milton, PA, USA

Jun 012011

Window motors on Cavaliers, or any J-cars from GM, are definitely a problem. You can tell they are going because the windows go up and down much slower than usual, and then they stop completely.

- , Newport, MI, USA

Jun 232010

Cavalier LS

I couldn't update my previous complaint. But this is kinda different. I had my drivers side window replaced in April 09. The shop screwed up my regulator(see other complaint) and then the passenger side window stopped working! It hasn't worked for a little over a year. Well the other day, my husband was driving the car and called me to tell me that the driver side window stopped working AGAIN! I was furious! Then he told me the passenger side window IS WORKING! WTH?! So I tore apart the window switch. I broke it down all the way to the computer chip/motherboard looking thing that runs it. Well I found corrosion on the chip! I cleaned this corrosion off with a napkin and my finger nail thinking this would fix it. Well it didn't.

So all of you that are having the power window problem try buying a new switch. They run anywhere from $25 (used) to 110(new) but I found an after market at switch dr website for $45. I'm going to try it. If it works, I'm going back to the garage to inform those dim wits on their ignorance! I can't believe I didn't think of trying the switch first! If you have your motor replaced, make sure they RIVET the new on in! The garage that did mine only used nuts and bolts! It slips all the time now! grrr.

So to sum this rant up: Try replacing the power window switch first ($45ish) before spending over $100 to replace the window motor! In the two door models my switch is in the middle between the seats the switch is easy to pull apart. It's held together with plastic pieces with pieces that stick out into holes on the piece that fits over it. It's simple! Don't be afraid to try! GOOD LUCK!

- , Athens, PA, USA