2005 Chevrolet Cavalier accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 012010

Cavalier 4-cyl

We have a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier and the speedometer has completely quit working. Nothing has been done to the vehicle that would cause this to happen. Everything is just as it was when my husband purchased it new. We have not had anything don E to correct the problem.

- Athens, AL, USA

Mar 072011

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier. For the past few weeks the speedometer has been not working correctly. It will get stuck at 20 mph or it will just sputter up and so I am now constantly having to guess what speed I am going. I have read many forums of people with a 2005 Cavalier having the same problem. If this is happening on a lot of cars, it should not be the responsibility of the owner to fix it. This is very much a safety hazard and should not be happening to so many people, it obviously means it is a faulty part. Please consider looking into this problem since many people are having the same issue that I am.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 032011

Just purchased 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier....2 weeks as an owner...I have pictures of my car parked and the speedometer is reading is that possible? General Motors should offer to fix this problem or give every owner of this type of vehicle a better car..I have no inclination as to how fast I am going on the expressway period..I feel that I am doing 55 but the speedometer is at 100 or better..this is ridiculous...I'm extremely upset because I am paying a note on this vehicle and am at risk, unwillingly and unpredictably for a ticket and accident because I have unsettling comfort driving due to an unreadable speedometer...someone has to make General Motors do something about this..oh my goodness...I am a single mother of special needs kids who has to get around and this is an issue that I did not foresee when I put down for this car!!

- Riverdale, GA, USA

Jan 062011

2005 Chevy Cavalier speedometer stopped working. On-line research from owners of this car shows that repair of the speedometer is not possible and the part alone is averaging $300. Again complaints are on the fact that the speedometer is not repairable.

- Montville, OH, USA

Dec 302010

I drive a 2005 Chevy Cavalier and all gauges have stopped working completely. It first started with the RPM's gauge about 10 months ago, then the speedometer about 6 months ago, now with the gas gauge just a few days ago. I can not longer tell how fast I am going, nor how much gas is actually in my tank. I propose a recall as I have seen many complaints of the same issues. I like to buy american and I feel if american auto makers want to keep their customers they need to step up the quality of products and service!

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jul 162010

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier. While driving approximately 45 mph, the entire instrument cluster stopped working. The failure began July 2010 when the speedometer would stop functioning. The contact called both the dealer and the manufacturer who offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 72,000 and the current mileage was approximately 94,000.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Dec 082010

Speedometer, and fuel gauge stopped working. I was told the entire instrument cluster needs to be replaced.

- Jamestown, TN, USA

Nov 202010

I have a safety issue with my 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier. My speedometer quit working and I cannot tell how fast I'm going. I was in another state when I encountered this problem and had to rely on a gps to monitor speed while driving on the interstate. I have read many on-line complaints from other owner and GM, for some unknown reasons, haven't issued a recall to fix the instrument cluster problem. I have also read that the cost to fix this problem is $800 or more. I find this unacceptable for an american car company to charge for this repair. This is a serious manufacture safety issue and should be fixed free of charge. My car has only 55,000 miles on it and it's not safe to drive.

- Schertz, TX, USA

Dec 032010

I drive a 2005 Chevy Cavalier and recently the speedometer and fuel gauge have stopped working. The speedometer continued to climb while I was driving on the highway this weekend, passed 110 mph and ended up pointing straight down. Today when I got in my car to go to work, not only was the speedometer broken, but the fuel gauge was pointing about 40 degrees passed the full mark. This is an extremely unsafe condition. I don't have the $500+ to spend to fix this, but cannot imagine driving without knowing my speed or whether I'm about to run out of gas. I've done some research on this, and it appears that many other Cavalier owners have experienced this same exact problem.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 042010

My speedometer on my 2005 Chevy Cavalier sticks whenever it is cold. It'll be stuck on 40mph when im parked. It will eventually go back down only to stick again a few days later. Seems like a lot of people are having the same problem. Safety recall"? or can I just send Chevy the speeding ticket because I have no idea how fast I'm going?"

- Reno, NV, USA

Sep 152010

Cavalier 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier. The contact stated that the instrument cluster was defective. The temperature, fuel gauge, tachometer gave incorrect readings and the needles moved back and forth. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified. The current mileage was approximately 57,000. The failure mileage was approximately 55,000. Updated 1/25/11 updated 03/22/11

- Altoona, PA, USA

Oct 302010

Cavalier 4-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier speedometer is sticking, does not read proper, at a complete stop the speedometer reads 35 miles per hour, and will not read correct speed on the highway. The car only has 30,000 miles on it.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 162010

Cavalier 4-cyl

The instrument panel gauges started going out of whack. The temperature gauge needle moved all the way over to the right interfering with the speedometer needle, so that the speed does not show correctly. At first the needle went back down, but kept getting worse as time went on. The problem began about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, I had a diagnostic test run on it and the mechanics told me the whole instrument cluster panel needed to be replaced and would cost over $500, an amount I do not have at this time.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Sep 182010

Cavalier 4-cyl

The speedometer on my 2005 Cavalier has been broken for about a month now. It usually stays around 0, but will sometimes get stuck at various incorrect speeds. I had the output sensor changed, and it made no difference. My mechanic hooked his computer up to the car and it says that nothing is wrong with it. I was told that changing the input sensor, which is inside the transmission will cost about $750 and take 11 hours to do. I have 2 mechanics looking for solutions, but they have found none so far.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Oct 222008

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier. The contact stated that she had issues with speedometer getting stuck on an intermittent basis. It would reset itself and randomly become stuck again. Most recently, the temperature gauge was also failing and becoming stuck. It would indicate that the vehicle was too hot but when the contact turned off the vehicle and let it sit, it would continue indicating that the vehicle was overheating. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified. The current mileage was approximately 153,000. The failure mileage was approximately 75,000.

- Big Island, VA, USA

Sep 242010

Speedometer and tach inaccurate.

- Fort Lupton, CO, USA

Aug 192010

I recently purchased a used 2005 Chevy Cavalier. The speedometer does not work. The needle will move clockwise but does not go back down when I slow down--thus, by the time I park my car at my destination, the speedometer needle is basically pointing straight down. The problem gets worse the longer I drive (in one trip). I think it also gets worse the faster I go. Because of this problem, the speedometer is essentially useless. I haven't driven the car much because I recently bought it, so I am not sure how often this problem will occur.

- Riverton, UT, USA

Dec 192009

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier. The contact stated that the speedometer, temperature gauge and the RPM gauge would function intermittently. The failure became progressively worse until the gauges failed completely. The manufacturer advised her to contact the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was approximately 82,000 and the current mileage was approximately 85,000. Updated 11/03/10.

- Sun City, AZ, USA

Dec 082009

I have a 2005 chev. Cavalier and the speedometer has gone wack. It reads fine sometimes then out of nowhere it jumps or sticks. This problem is common and I have heard about this problem from probably 80% of Cavalier owners.

- Wilder , KY, USA

Jan 032009

Cavalier 4-cyl

2005 Chevy Cavalier - most of the gauges on the instrument panel are wacky and don't work. This is a very common problem with Chevy instrument panels. They have yet to recall any of them. Instead we have people driving around not knowing how fast they are going and when they will run out of gas.

- Brookfield, WI, USA