2005 Chevrolet Cavalier electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier:

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

May 152011

Cavalier

Chevrolet has used this instrument cluster on a variety of models and it goes bad in just about every case. It needs a recall to fix all models affected. Chevrolet knows about the problem but will not voluntarily fix it. There are companys that make their living repairing this instrument cluster from Chevrolet.

- Caldwell, TX, USA

Apr 262012

Cavalier 4-cyl

While driving both the speedometer and the temperature gauge failed, temperature gauge is now stuck showing vehicle is overheating (it is not), speedometer moves all over and registers either a speed over 100 mph when on the road or registers either 20mph or 60mph while sitting still at start-up. Due to this issue I have no idea what speed I am going and must gauge speed by what other drivers are doing around me.

- St Louis Park, MN, USA

Mar 162013

Cavalier

I just bought a 2005 Cavalier from a private party and a couple days after I had it I noticed that my speedometer said I was going 110 mph while I was on freeway my heart dropped I immediately let off the accelerator to reduce speed. I began to observe that others were passing me so I got off on the next exit. When I came to a complete stop the speedometer read 55 mph. I turned the car off and restarted it hoping that would fix the problem but it didn't. since then my gas gauge and temp gauge has been reading improperly. I tried to turn off the car and restart it a few times to try to get it back to normal but seems to make it worse. What cab I do to fix this since its a very common problem and Chevy won't fix it even though it could cause an accident. I'm a parent and I am supposed to put trust in this car and company to keep my children safe"!"! please recall and fix this problem. Thank you

- Duluth, MN, USA

Mar 032013

Cavalier

My daughter was driving the car when all of the gauges on the instrument panel started moving up and down, over and over. This included the temperature gauge, gas gauge, and the speedometer. My daughter could not determine how fast she was driving and it was a distraction that could have resulted in an accident. Same thing happened about 2-3 years ago, and it cost me about $500 to replace step motors.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Nov 012011

Cavalier 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the speedometer failed and would only provide a reading of zero. In addition, the temperature gauge increased abnormally. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic and a diagnostic was performed, which located the failure at the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster was replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,710 and the approximate current mileage was 73,000....updated 04/25/13

- Bentonville, AR, USA

Dec 262012

Cavalier

As I was driving in a residential area near my residence, I noticed the speedometer stuck @ 30mph even after I stopped for a traffic light. My son removed the fuse & then re-inserted it. Speedometer then went back to zero so I thought it was a loose fuse. Same thing happened several days later and speedometer stuck @ 50mph. My son removed & re-inserted the fuse and speedometer went back to zero. But a few days ago while driving in a 30mph zone, the speedometer eventually stuck @ 110mph. This appears to be a very common problem with this make & model of vehicle. I'm surprised that a recall has not occurred because this is definitely a safety issue.

- Lynnwood, WA, USA

Jan 222013

Cavalier 4-cyl

I was on my way home today and think god my husband was driving..my gauges are not working on the car which is does from time to time. We merge on a major highway and the gas pedal accelerated and would not stop it just keep getting faster, , my brakes would not even stop it or the emergency brake either..we had to run some red lights because we could not stop it so we could try to get home without crashing the car to stop it but we could slow it down putting it in neutral but it was burning up the brakes and transmission. Finally we got in front my house and had to put it in park fast just to stop it. The gas pedal only accelerates and the brakes don't even work on it...we could of died today!!! I'm so glad I was not driving it..I would of had to call 911 and have the cops box me in to stop. I messed up my brakes and transmission on it just to stop it today. I went online to check for any recalls and I see that people had problems but no recalls...I saw my life flash for my eyes today and put my trust in my car everyday thinking that they made it right.."?"

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Jan 102013

Cavalier 4-cyl

Speedometer cluster broke and cost $400 to be rebuilt. A service report was issued to the dealership that this is a common problem. After searching the web for complaints, I found there has been thousands of complaints on the same issue on all GM vehicles. Why is there no recall?

- Lindenhurst, IL, USA

Jan 022013

Cavalier 4-cyl

1st issue was the speedometer started malfunctioning off & on. It shows going much faster than car really is going. Doesn't happen all the time. 2nd issue was warning light which a station told me that the code is for a malfunction in the fuel line, it shows a major leak, but repairmen could find no real leak. Warning light does go off & on, so not on all the time. 3rd issue was off & on the front driver & passenger windows start rolling down or up and then just quit, but start working again after shutting off engine a couple times. 4th issue was the RPM meter started doing what the speedometer had been doing. 5th issue is the passenger side wiper stopped working. That's the only one that hasn't "fixed" itself. All the others are off & on working or not working. The wiper was the latest incident with all of them starting in the past 6 months.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 012011

Cavalier

As many of other have already reported. Out of no where, my instrument cluster started going hay-wire. All the needles read inaccurate information by shaking, bouncing or saying in king 110 mph in park.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 172012

Cavalier

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet caviler. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the entire instrument panel failed and became dark. The contact stated that she restarted the vehicle and the failure recurred. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and stated that the vehicle was not included in a recall. The failure mileage was 63,100.

- North Cape May, NJ, USA

Dec 012011

Cavalier

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier. The contact stated that the fuel gauge was providing incorrect fuel level readings and caused the temperature gauge to malfunction. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 65,000.

- Waukegan , IL, USA

Nov 032008

Cavalier 4-cyl

All the gauges on my 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier have stopped working. The fuel gage was the first to stop working, followed by the rest of the gauges. The speedometer no longer works and it is a safety issue because I have no idea what speed I am going, how much fuel I have, if the engine is overheating, etc. I have searched online and have found multiple reports of the same problem. Chevrolet has recalled other vehicles for this exact problem, so obviously it is an issue they can correct. I have waited to hear about a recall, but now that my speedometer has failed I can not wait any longer.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Nov 022012

Cavalier

Fuel gauge, temp gauge, tach, and speedometer are not working properly. These are common problems on these cars as you are surely aware of. GM should be forced to recall these vehicles and repair them. These are serious safety issues. Thanks

- Dawson Springs, KY, USA

Oct 012012

Cavalier 4-cyl

The vehicle dash board gauges started to rapidly fluctuate from minimum to maximum values as I was traveling down the road at 60 miles/hour. The tachometer was the first gauge to malfunction and does not work 95% of the time. The second gauge to malfunction, later on in the week, was the fuel gauge. The needle will display a full tank of gas at one moment and a near empty tank minutes later, proving to be unreliable to estimate the fuel level. Shortly after, the temperature gauge malfunctioned and moved from left to right never settling at a stationary temperature. I fear, through personal research, that the speedometer will be the next gauge to malfunction, making it unsafe to determine speed since the tachometer is already not working.

- Eddyville, IA, USA

Apr 012012

Cavalier

The temperature gauge has stopped working as well as the speedometer and RPM gauge. The gas gauge is the only one still working reliably.

- Carrabelle, FL, USA

Jun 222011

Cavalier

The gauges have stopped working the, fuel gauge, the speedometer, the temp gauges all stop working. I have a 2005 Chevy Cavalier.

- Indian Trail , NC, USA

Jul 252012

Cavalier

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier. The contact stated that the speedometer malfunctioned and was providing erroneous readings. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop, who diagnosed that the instrument panel was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 270,000.

- El Paso , AR, USA

Jul 122011

Cavalier 4-cyl

Temperature gauge stopped working, reads sometimes, and sometimes does not. Replaced sensor and had no effect on gauge function. Fuel gauge is intermittent after the temperature gauge stopped functioning as well. Door on heating underneath the dash clacks constantly unless you set the heat in recirculation mode. Needles of the two gauges hit each other as they wander aimlessly through their orbits. Horn stopped working at 98000 miles. This vehicle is plagued by bad wiring and parts. However, it is a fine running vehicle and should ast another 100000 miles if you're willing to drive it without gauges, horn and only run through the heat and ac in recirculation mode. Chevrolet knows this has happened constantly with these vehicles and should recall and correct them. If I can't trust the original gauge cluster, how can I trust a new set if I take the vehicle to the dealer for repair and pay an exorbitant price to have them replaced and repaired? I would expect this from a Chrysler product but never a Chevrolet!!!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 152011

Cavalier 4-cyl

Last December my 2005 Cavalier experienced a speedometer malfunction while I was traveling on the highway. I was in an area where the speed zone changed from 50 mph to 65 mph. The speedometer registered my increase in speed fine. When I slowed down, the speedometer stayed in place. Over the past 7 months my dashboard gauges (fuel, temp, speed, RPM) all malfunction. Sometimes they reset themselves. Most of the time I'm never sure how fast I'm going or how much gas I have. My engine temp will read off the charts even on a cool morning after it has sat still all night. Although this started last December, the problems continue to this day. I have poured so much money into other electrical issues with this car already, I'm convinced it is not worth one more dime to fix the instrument cluster. I've spent hundreds on power window motors that continuously malfunction. The rear right blinker has consistently gone haywire as well. I had resigned myself to the fact that I was one in a thousand who happened to get an electrical lemon. After reading all the complaints from other Cavalier owners, however, I realize that Chevrolet in 2005 played a sick joke on the whole lot of us. I have owned several imported cars, mostly Honda's and Toyota, and have never been as displeased. GM should be ashamed. The car drives great. I was very excited about it when I bought it as I liked the look and feel of it on the road. I'll never buy another Chevrolet.

- Orlando, FL, USA